Pre 1966 Eley Fourlong .410 paper Cartridges

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Pre 1966 Eley Fourlong .410 paper Cartridges

Post by MalleeFarmer » 28 Dec 2015, 7:06 pm

Hi I found these in my shed yesterday. :D dad said they were on a farm they bought in 1966 and managed to find their way back here :allegedly: does anyone know much about them other than the obvious writing on the cartridges? Cheers MF
Attachments
image.jpeg
Company Detail
image.jpeg (467.44 KiB) Viewed 4465 times
image.jpeg
EB Logo
image.jpeg (588.51 KiB) Viewed 4465 times
image.jpeg
Eley Fourlong
image.jpeg (604.18 KiB) Viewed 4465 times
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Pre 1966 Eley Fourlong .410 paper Cartridges

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Dec 2015, 10:27 pm

Got a feeling Eley were made at Deer Park, in the Western Suburbs. I think it was the old ICI facility. Could easily be wrong though.
I think cardboard went to plastic in about the 60 or 70s. A collector might come in here.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 29 Dec 2015, 9:01 am

Yep old Aussie ICI rounds.... The 'Eley' was a line that was manufactured by ICI, a local arm of British ICI company, Eley are still produced today, even the 'fourlong' intermediate loadings.

Today Eley is a separate concern, having been spun off several years ago to another company...

I have stacks of old ICI paper cartridges (70's vintage), not as old as yours, but well kept and they are still as potent as when new.

Those heads look well 'coloured' so I'd suggest the brass may have deteriorated along with the powder....

Might be worth something to a collector, bit more if you have the packaging...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by wrenchman » 29 Dec 2015, 9:59 am

old paper shells are collected here as well as brass shells
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 29 Dec 2015, 1:51 pm

a selection of #3s;
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 29 Dec 2015, 9:14 pm

Ok cool no I don't have any packaging! I don't collect but thought I'd ask the question as I (being 25) have never seen paper cartridges. Cheers for the help!
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by AusC » 05 Jan 2016, 8:39 am

MalleeFarmer wrote:I don't collect but thought I'd ask the question as I (being 25) have never seen paper cartridges.

Well you got a top piece to start your collection with ;)

And just a bit of trivia, you'll have seen in the newsagent or art shop or somewhere cartridge paper which is used for illustration.

Even though that's mostly all it's used for now, it's called "cartridge paper" because it was originally used for shotty cartridges :)
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 06 Jan 2016, 1:31 pm

AusC wrote:
MalleeFarmer wrote:I don't collect but thought I'd ask the question as I (being 25) have never seen paper cartridges.

And just a bit of trivia, you'll have seen in the newsagent or art shop or somewhere cartridge paper which is used for illustration.

Even though that's mostly all it's used for now, it's called "cartridge paper" because it was originally used for shotty cartridges :)

Interesting. I've never looked for paper in newsagent other than for my printer not really into decorating/scrapbooking. I guess I have got a good one/few to start my collection. Also have some original WW11 issue ammo for a .303 from my grandpa I think only 3 rounds though. :unknown:
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Redwood » 08 Jan 2016, 12:26 pm

3 more than a lot of other collectors would have ;)
Redwood
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 21 Apr 2018, 8:26 pm

AusC wrote:

No it was not. It was used to make cartridges for muzzle loaders, which were a complete self contained load that got torn open and loaded rather than having to measure powder, find and lube a bullet or shot etc.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Apr 2018, 12:12 am

I think I have some paper 12ga rounds in the safe. I know I have some empty brass 12ga shells too.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics