Legal minimum calibre for deer in nsw?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: Legal minimum calibre for deer in nsw?

Post by Chronos » 31 Dec 2015, 8:52 pm

Range finders don't know it's dark :friends:

Steve
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Dec 2015, 8:53 pm

Strikey wrote:As I said use more than enough gun, its preferable to have overkill then have game walking around with horrific injuries due to inappropriate calibre/projectile choice, put them down with shot is the only ethical thing to do.
I have just come back from a roo cull and would say that nearly all shots under a spotlight were taken less than 150yds, looked further but weren't, some were around the 50-60yd mark, 200m under a light is a bloody long way and things look a lot further at night then they actually are ;) I know a few pro roo shooters in my area and they will tell you most of their shooting is less then a 100yds so if you are taking them past 200metres good onya :thumbsup:
Have a Happy New Year :drinks: :drinks:

I reckon it's more important to do good shot placement than to compensate for lousy shot placement - I know of a fella who shot a roo with a 308 in the guts (he thought that the bigger cal would roll em anywhere he shot em) sadly it was last seen hopping away with it's guts trailing some distance behind until I finished it with a 50gn pill to the head.

Big cals don't compensate for one's crappy judgement - there are plenty of wounded animals that can attest to that fact.

Shot placement is the most important part of killing anything regardless of cal for me, if the shot don't present the shot ain't taken it's that simple for me :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Dec 2015, 8:56 pm

Chronos wrote:Range finders don't know it's dark :friends:

Steve

Yep I use mine to range foxes when out spotlighting (long shots) comes in handy at times :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 31 Dec 2015, 9:05 pm

bigfellascott wrote:

Steve

Yep I use mine to range foxes when out spotlighting (long shots) comes in handy at times :thumbsup:

Yep. I'm bad enough judging distances in broad day light let alone at night and the leupold illuminated RX1000TBRi gives you drop as well. A valuable tool when you start shooting small things beyond 100m

Happy new year mate.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Dec 2015, 9:18 pm

Chronos wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Steve

Yep. I'm bad enough judging distances in broad day light let alone at night and the leupold illuminated RX1000TBRi gives you drop as well. A valuable tool when you start shooting small things beyond 100m

Happy new year mate.

Chronos

Yeah I hear ya mate, I actually like using the rangefinder to test my ability to read distance, I quite often just pick a tree and guess what the range is and then see what it really is - I've been surprised more often than not how much I was out by. I shot a fox recently that was what I thought was 250ish metres whilst spotlighting (shot it in the freckle as it was just about to drop into a washout) I ranged it after the shot and it was actually 330 odd metres (down hill), it dropped on the spot to a 39gn Bk from the 204.

Happy New Year to you too mate :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Strikey » 31 Dec 2015, 9:58 pm

Agreed, shot placement is still crucial even when using a larger calibre but over the years I have seen people using .17Rem, 222Rem., 22/250s etc on everything from foxes to pigs and everything in between, poor shot placement, wrong projectile choice for the intended game have resulted in some nasty wounds that the animal did not deserve, some of these blokes thought they had pulled off a good shot. :( There are a lot of inexperienced shooters/hunters out there who may think that their mighty .204/.223 or even the all conquering .17HMR will take down all manner of game at insane distances, this I believe is why we should not be advocating that it is possible to shoot something such as deer with what is essentially a varmint cartridge ;)
Interesting that I disagreed with you all but still pass on a Happy New Year but can't get the same back, go f*** yourselves :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Dec 2015, 10:06 pm

Happy New Year to you too and go f*** ya self as well :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 01 Jan 2016, 8:07 am

Strikey wrote:Agreed, shot placement is still crucial even when using a larger calibre but over the years I have seen people using .17Rem, 222Rem., 22/250s etc on everything from foxes to pigs and everything in between, poor shot placement, wrong projectile choice for the intended game have resulted in some nasty wounds that the animal did not deserve, some of these blokes thought they had pulled off a good shot. :( There are a lot of inexperienced shooters/hunters out there who may think that their mighty .204/.223 or even the all conquering .17HMR will take down all manner of game at insane distances, this I believe is why we should not be advocating that it is possible to shoot something such as deer with what is essentially a varmint cartridge ;)
Interesting that I disagreed with you all but still pass on a Happy New Year but can't get the same back, go f*** yourselves :thumbsup:

Firstly you replied implying I didn't know what I was talking about then you signed off happy new year implying you were leaving the thread.

So A) I don't care if you have a good new year as long as it's a safe one and B) I said happy new year to the bloke that was still here, BFS who I have known through forums for around 5 years while As you've only been here under this name for around 6 months I haven't quite worked out which name you operated under before that but I'm getting closer with every dummy spit :lol:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Jan 2016, 11:09 am

"Interesting that I disagreed with you all but still pass on a Happy New Year but can't get the same back, go f*** yourselves :thumbsup:"

Obviously a gentleman. :sarcasm:
This is an old argument.

If you are an excellent shot in ideal situations, yes you can use smaller than usual calibres for many animals, not just deer (Correct 222 was used widely by pro shooters in NZ to cull red deer in the 60-70s)
If you an average bloke/shot like me you should stick to the tried and true or recommended. Eg I no longer use th 22lr on foxes, only 223 or 12g.

Ps this is a discussion forum, not argument forum. The above type of comments are now rare on this forum and the better for it IMO. Being civil cost nothing.
ps. Happy new year.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 01 Jan 2016, 11:22 am

Oldbloke wrote:"Interesting that I disagreed with you all but still pass on a Happy New Year but can't get the same back, go f*** yourselves :thumbsup:"

Obviously a gentleman. :sarcasm:
This is an old argument.

If you are an excellent shot in ideal situations, yes you can use smaller than usual calibres for many animals, not just deer (Correct 222 was used widely by pro shooters in NZ to cull red deer in the 60-70s)
If you an average bloke/shot like me you should stick to the tried and true or recommended. Eg I no longer use th 22lr on foxes, only 223 or 12g.

Ps this is a discussion forum, not argument forum. The above type of comments are now rare on this forum and the better for it IMO. Being civil cost nothing.
ps. Happy new year.

Agree on all accounts.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by dhv » 01 Jan 2016, 2:50 pm

Steve

Did you just admit to spotlighting deer in NSW? :o
dhv
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Jan 2016, 3:50 pm

"Did you just admit to spotlighting deer in NSW? :o"
I think he was referring to roos.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Jan 2016, 8:28 pm

Just been watching a few more vids where they rolled fallow with 250's out around 190m - 1 was a stag and the other a doe, both head shots of course.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 01 Jan 2016, 9:48 pm

dhv wrote:

Steve

Did you just admit to spotlighting deer in NSW? :o

:lol: no mate, shooting roo's to fill tags in NSW. The range finder in the dark was a reply to the suggestion that I may have been over estimating the range. An illuminated range finder will reliably range targets under spotlight.

My point was if a shooter/rifle combination is capable of head shooting roo's at 200m then head shooting a fallow spiker in daylight at 50-150m could be considered humane :thumbsup:

Chronos

Exit: doesn't the restriction on spotlighting deer in nsw only in state forests/public land?
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by dhv » 02 Jan 2016, 8:13 am

No mate, cant spotlight deer in NSW unless you are the landholder in which case the regulations don't apply.

I have no argument that some skilled shooters can reliably pull off headshots, and I have no argument that a headshot is humane.

My discomfort over posts such as this is that many less skilled people read it and believe it to be normal, resulting in deer running around with jaws shot off and the like.

I have personally witnessed a fallow buck carry a good hit from a 30/06 @ 100m and require a 2nd shot to put it down, so whilst they may go down MOST of the time, you should arm yourself to ensure they go down ALL the time.

It's the same with "long range hunting". Some can achieve it consistently, but for every one of those there are a dozens more where ambition exceeds ability.

As a hunter (as opposed to a shooter) the whole point is to get closer. The stalk is more important than the shot.
dhv
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jan 2016, 9:15 am

dhv wrote:No mate, cant spotlight deer in NSW unless you are the landholder in which case the regulations don't apply.

I have no argument that some skilled shooters can reliably pull off headshots, and I have no argument that a headshot is humane.

My discomfort over posts such as this is that many less skilled people read it and believe it to be normal, resulting in deer running around with jaws shot off and the like.

I have personally witnessed a fallow buck carry a good hit from a 30/06 @ 100m and require a 2nd shot to put it down, so whilst they may go down MOST of the time, you should arm yourself to ensure they go down ALL the time.

It's the same with "long range hunting". Some can achieve it consistently, but for every one of those there are a dozens more where ambition exceeds ability.

As a hunter (as opposed to a shooter) the whole point is to get closer. The stalk is more important than the shot.

As Clint says "A mans gots to know his limitations" if you are new to something I'd suggest you learn as much about it before attempting to do it, I'd suggest the reason the Fallow didn't go down after being hit with a 30/06 had more to do with being over gunned using a heavy pill that's designed to penetrate heavy solid animals and possible poor shot placement, as for the stalk being more important that the shot, well not so sure about that side of it, end of the day good shot placement will see the animal put down humanely a poor shot placement will often result in an injured/lost animal regardless of the cal used. :thumbsup:

Shot placement is key to successfully and humanely dispatching any animal and I guess that comes from practice and a good understanding of ones equipment and their skill level. :thumbsup: Sadly many unskilled hunters just aim for the biggest part of the body to compensate for their lack of skills in the belief that it will still kill the animal, often that is not the case sadly.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by David Brown » 02 Jan 2016, 11:42 pm

I head shoot fallow with a .223 and it works very well.

Why there are laws in other places is beyond me.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wobble » 04 Jan 2016, 10:11 am

David Brown wrote:Why there are laws in other places is beyond me.

QLD had a few gems of it's own last time I checked :lol:
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Geoben » 12 Aug 2018, 10:46 am

6.5 x 55 mm works exceptionally well on big deer too. Funny thing is, it was developed around the same time as the .303, 30-06, and 7x 57mm Mauser rounds, its the same vintage of military round. Of all these rounds it has the highest BC of all of them.
Now if the minimum of .270 is applied, then this calibre is illegal to use in Victoria, as it comes in at .264. However with the high BC, this round at an equivalent weight of projectile, will make the longest wound channel. A .308, the shortest but widest. At distance, over 430m, the 6.5 x 55mm retains more energy that the .308, and far better accuracvy. Not that i would take shots over that distance. I suppose they regulate minimum calibres because if they don't, there are bound to be people out there trying to shoot deer with a .22LR. Fine if its point blank in a crush. Not ideal as its running through the bush!
Geoben
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics