Nickel plated .303 rounds

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Nickel plated .303 rounds

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Jan 2016, 10:35 pm

Can any-one give me some in depth info on these rounds. :unknown:
They were recently given to me by my brother.

They are mostly all just like the typical .303 FMJ except for being Nickel plated.

2 of them are round nosed. (see pic)

The dates range from 1938 to 1948.

Any info welcomed. :thumbsup:
100_3902.JPG
100_3902.JPG (548.79 KiB) Viewed 4016 times
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Nickel plated .303 rounds

Post by brett1868 » 04 Jan 2016, 11:03 pm

Nickel plating of projectiles has been done for ages and Winchester used to (maybe still do) offer a "Silver Tip" pistol projectile. The only reason I could find for plating them was to lesson the chances of corrosion which makes sense given the intended purpose and age of these rounds. The modern purpose of Nickel plating is apparently to make them look pretty and extract a few extra $ from punters believing they'll make them shoot like The Lone Ranger :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 05 Jan 2016, 4:20 pm

G'day Die Judicii,
The white cupro-nickel jacket was used from early days until around 1943 by most makers, as is most common on MkII to MkVI, then early MkVII. The more familiar copper based Gilding metal coated steel jacket was mostly used after that, and by the end of WW2 almost exclusively, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Jan 2016, 5:57 pm

Thanks No1Mk3, and Brett.
Much appreciated
:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Norton » 06 Jan 2016, 9:34 am

Corrosion resistance has always been the only real purpose AFAIK.

We're talking WWII dates there of course which saw ammo carted all around the world (or destined to end up somewhere it maybe didn't).

Any idea on where the rounds might have originally been from? Somewhere frosty perhaps?
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Carter » 21 Jan 2016, 11:17 am

Would they be nickel? Not some alloy with a bit of nickel in it?

Pure nickel is hard as, must be hell on the barrels if it is.
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 02 Feb 2016, 9:01 am

G'day Carter,
The material is referred to as Cupro-Nickel, an alloy of Copper containing up to 20% Ni and sometimes a couple of % manganese.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 08 Feb 2016, 10:19 am

Die Judicii wrote:Can any-one give me some in depth info on these rounds. :unknown:

The story as I understand it is that they were developed to limit suffering of wounded soldiers. (Hence the WW2 ish years there)

Similar to not using soft point because of the excess damage they cause and additional problems they leave survivors with, nickel was used as it was meant to be less toxic than other options.

But they were more difficult to make, they fouled barrels like a bastard and the fouling was hard to get off. I don't have the full story on this but also some of the alloys were thought to be responsible for blow-ups as the projectile would bond with the brass neck and when fired try to take the top of the cartridge with it down the barrel.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gregg » 11 Feb 2016, 10:52 am

It could only ever be done in an alloy.

Solid nickel bullets would be like firing a rasp down the barrel every time you pulled the trigger.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by wheedle » 09 Mar 2016, 9:56 am

Bourt wrote:I don't have the full story on this but also some of the alloys were thought to be responsible for blow-ups as the projectile would bond with the brass neck and when fired try to take the top of the cartridge with it down the barrel.

Sounds like quite a spectacle
wheedle
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Aug 2016, 9:39 am

From my own background knowledge, the primary reason was cost. Like wars in general, keeping the price down and supplies up was the bottom line in eventually winning i.e petrol, spare parts, etc. Oversimplified for the purpose of the post of course, but the cupro nickel alloy was cheaper, and more available by 1942-43, and there may have well been had other secondary reasons behind the choice.

Barrel fouling was a big problem, as experienced extensively by NZ deer cullers back in the 50's and 60's. The mercuric primers didn't help either, and most 303 barrels were destroyed by corrosion and fouling than were ever worn out by actual firing. The round nosed cartridge is the Mk V1, a 215 projectile that comes out around 2100-200FPS, and this was officially superseded in 1907, by the Mk V11, a spitzer 174 projectile at around 2440 in the standard issue SMLE or 2,500 out of the P14.

I've used both quite extensively, and the 215 grain round nose is an effective buffalo killer with head shots at close to moderate range, but head shots ONLY, as the primary design of FMJ is to wound not kill, with no expansion. A buffalo's heavy bone structure around the brain make this possible. If you can get them cheap. they make good range ammo, and the standard sights don't need re-calibrating. Just remember to clean the barrel with really good solvent like Sweets 7.62, or boiling water carefully through a funnel, as this stuff is very corrosive. Good shooting
Member-Deleted

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics