22WMR becoming obsolete? Frustrated with ammo prices.

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

22WMR becoming obsolete? Frustrated with ammo prices.

Post by sbd3927 » 11 Mar 2016, 9:15 pm

Having bought my 22wmr around 8 years ago, I grabbed half a dozen different brands of ammo to determine what shot best, price was around $16-18 AUD and the exchange rate was mediocre.
Jump forward a few years, I find the ammo that gave me .5cm groups at 50m was already discontinued at time of firearm/ammo purchase, {CCI MaxiMag GOLD DOT HP $18) and I struggled to find an accurate replacement. 2011 prices around $22-24 per box of 50
Now in 2016, still haven't found an equivalently accurate round for my rifle, theres few noticeable shockers at the $24 price point, winchester power point, CCI maxi mag, shooting 6 inch groups at 100m, and useless for my application. Rabbits, foxes at >80-100metres, the reason I purchased a magnum for a greater effective range. The rest of the 2016 prices seem >$30 per 50, wtf this is rimfire!!!
I doubt there's more than ten brands currently on the market in 22WMR ?? Having seen the current CCI with incredibly dirty barrel from residual powder, and the Winchester power points lucky to hit a goat sized target at >80m (possibly sand cast projectiles, they are that rough). I'm inclined to disregard any of the other offerings by those manufacturers. (I'm not paying $35 to test a box when their other ammo is crp.)

I suspect the AUD is roughly the same value as 8 years ago, so the doubling in prices is perplexing, Ie apparently it got no cheaper when the dollar wnt to parity, yet has now risen due to the return of the dollar to peso levels.

I'm thinking I made a mistake buying a rimfire, if I'd gone the .204 or .223/4 route, at least I could work up an accurate round by reloading, and I the cost per round would likely be considerably better than the 60 cents now being asked for the majority of 22WMR rimfire round offerings.
Either east side of melbourne simply sucks for ammunition pricing, or we are being ripped off under excuse of dollar variation (all the increases, never savings)
Now when I pull the trigger on a bunny, I think... I could shoot it at double the range with the 308 and equivalent cost, it would just be more for the dog, and less for the bbq.
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: 22WMR becoming obsolete? Frustrated with ammo prices.

Post by wrenchman » 12 Mar 2016, 4:35 am

we are haveing a hard time finding them here in the states also i have one i shoot wood chucks with i have been trying to get some more i am down to 100 rounds.
I might have to see what a 17hmr wouuld cost i seem to find them about as often as a 22lr.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by happyhunter » 12 Mar 2016, 5:45 am

If you can get 204/223/308 factory ammo for $22 a box of 50 let me know as that's cheap as new Remington unprimed brass.

You could always replace it with a 17HMR.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Heckler303 » 12 Mar 2016, 7:03 am

Like the two people before me, maybe you could always look at 17HMR, or if you want a centerfire, a 22 hornet is still a viable option, especially if you willing to handload.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 12 Mar 2016, 7:04 am

I went through the long agonising decision. I really wanted a 17hmr but local ammo cost was pushing 2/3 223rem prices. Ended up deciding on the 223 and reload for less than the cost of wrm or hmr and have pretty much found a trail boss load the spits out 50gn varmint bullets at around 1850fps with the same noise as wrm or hmr.

edit: fix phone typos.
Last edited by Gwion on 12 Mar 2016, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 12 Mar 2016, 8:01 am

Years ago mate wanted his first rifle, I had a 22LR so he bought a Mag.....It was louder than the LR, did pretty much the same thing, though it was 'a bit faster' but when I ran out of ammo I couldnt take his... :lol:

I've never felt the need for a 22Mag, as the 22 is THE plinker.... and if you're paying 223Rem prices or near enough to it you might need your head read ;)

Sell it and go up (centrefire) or down LR :P

LR is cheap due to the sheer quantity produced, Mag obviously less quantity, but I just cant justify the price of the mag ammo...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 Mar 2016, 1:35 pm

The 22Mag has always been dearer and scarcer. The original reasoning was that the faster, longer range and more energetic magnum would eventually replace 22LR in general use, as 22LR had 22L and 22S. The early failures of 22 Extra Long and 22 WRF should have been a warning that the LR was too popular and ubiquitous to be overthrown, and it is of interest to note that Winchester themselves did not chamber their own cartridge until a year after they introduced it. Both Ruger and S&W beat them to it by using it in 1959 for revolvers, where it is still popular in the US for small varmint hunting (no bloody good to us) where the smallest centerfires are still too much. I have a Rossi 22Mag pump action which hasn't seen the light of day for some years, as when I went rabbiting the 22 was cheaper and for foxes/dogs the 223 was better. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by sbd3927 » 12 Mar 2016, 3:00 pm

Gwion wrote:I went through the long agonising decision. I really wanted a 17hmr but local ammo cost was pushing 2/3 223rem prices. Ended up deciding on the 223 and reload for less than the cost of Wrm or hmr and have pretty found a trail boss load the spits out 50gn varmint bullets at around 1850fps with the same noise are wrm or hmr.

Thanks for that info. That's something I was wondering, if a trailboss load would equate to the magnum, and the option of a hotter flatter load for long range, and if truly bored, matching sighting for two ranges :)

I originally chose the 22mag, since most shots on my property start at 70metres.

I went to 3 of 4 eastern melb gunshops today, ie within 40km;
  • first only had the accursed Winchester PowerPoint $24, rough as guts projectile, probably hit a basketball at 100m most shots
    {incidentally he had 1 brick and few packets of 17hmr and said no more supply in foreseeable future}
  • second shop, CCI MaxiMag, about 1in5 are fliers, a LOT of residue $32, Remington solid point $32, Remington VMax $42!
    They also only had one type of 17HMR
  • third shop, Winchester PP $24, CCI MaxiMag $24, Highland $19.50
  • fourth shop, didn't visit as their overpriced list is online, their services is slow (20min typical) & they sold me the aforementioned original out of production ammo along with the gun. Same Rem VMax as 2nd shop, $42->$49... $1/round for rimfire!
    They stock Win PP, Rem SP/HP/Vmax, Fed 30g, only the Win PP is <$33
Trying the Highland, although I seem to recall hearing it's been discontinued, I needed ammo, perhaps I could find a brick if it works.

happyhunter wrote:If you can get 204/223/308 factory ammo for $22 a box of 50 let me know as that's cheap as new Remington unprimed brass.
You could always replace it with a 17HMR.

I was referring to reloading, pretty sure I could do better than 60cent to $1 for the majority of the 22wmr offerings. I currently reload .308 about 80cents/round, current supply prices, so I'd just need a set of dies. With the bonus of being able to work up an accurate load for the rifle rather than being stuck with very limited selection of factory rimfire loads.

So along with the Fed Gameshock I can get if I go into Melbourne, which at least has mediocre performance, that's 8 choices, with half of those at prices to choke upon.
wonder how long it will take to sell myself on a new centrefire ? ;) )
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 12 Mar 2016, 5:24 pm

Probably best off just calling it a day and trading it for something more common at $1 ish a shot you can do a .223 for that easily if it suits your purpose

It sucks how hard it is to get some stuff in Melbs
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 12 Mar 2016, 6:08 pm

It shouldn't take long to sell yourself on a .223. Winnie bulk packs work fine for me, and Adi/osa is great value and good quality, and I love the 5 round blister pack idea.

These options give you factory ammo at less than $1 a shot, so great to start with to build up a brass supply.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Mar 2016, 8:02 pm

The 22mag fills a gap. But if a 222 or 223 will do the job for same price, better & cheaper why bother with it? Replace it with a 22 centre fire and after finding an accurate hand load look at a reduced load if you have a need.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 14 Mar 2016, 2:54 pm

Agree with all above I have considered a hot rimfire 17hmr/WSM but decided if that's what I was after I could buy 1.5kg of trailboss and have A 2000fps load for 40gr for my .22-250 without buying something that might become obsolete. Having said that I haven't bought any trailboss but I should.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 15 Mar 2016, 1:17 pm

price point, winchester power point, CCI maxi mag, shooting 6 inch groups at 100m

6 inch groups? Sure there isn't a problem with the rifle?
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by VICHunter » 15 Mar 2016, 2:09 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:The early failures of 22 Extra Long and 22 WRF should have been a warning that the LR was too popular and ubiquitous to be overthrown, and it is of interest to note that Winchester themselves did not chamber their own cartridge until a year after they introduced it.

I'd also add the fact that the majority of indoor and suburban ranges these days can only shoot 22lr. Anywhere you can shoot 22mag these days you're more likely to be better off or have more fun with a small centre anyway.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 21 Mar 2016, 3:27 pm

My 22WMR is a North American Arms mini revolver, I wish now I'd bought the 22LR version, and yeah the ammo is pricey up here too. The Hornady brand that is special made for short barreled guns is pushing $40 per 50 when it can be found, the rifle fodder is a bit less. By the way I'm paying between $18 and $25 for bulk pack (around 500 rounds) 22 Long Rifle ammo now.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by happyhunter » 21 Mar 2016, 3:31 pm

As at LGS today and saw Winchester 22WMR ammo for $15 a box of 50.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by happyhunter » 21 Mar 2016, 3:31 pm

As at LGS today and saw Winchester 22WMR ammo for $15 a box of 50.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Wes » 22 Mar 2016, 9:25 am

GLS_1956 wrote:The Hornady brand that is special made for short barreled guns is pushing $40 per 50 when it can be found

$40 for 50 22mag rounds?

lol, no thanks.

That would be more expensive than centre fire ammo once you got it to Aus
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 22 Mar 2016, 5:45 pm

Wes wrote:
GLS_1956 wrote:The Hornady brand that is special made for short barreled guns is pushing $40 per 50 when it can be found

$40 for 50 22mag rounds?

lol, no thanks.

That would be more expensive than centre fire ammo once you got it to Aus

But that is special defense ammo, the price of 22 ammo is coming down, finally, including the magnum stuff.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Vati » 07 Apr 2016, 4:00 pm

22wmr for self defence?

Seems like an odd choice.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 08 Apr 2016, 5:39 am

Vati wrote:22wmr for self defence?

Admittedly not the best choice, my NAA mini-revolver will fit in the watch pocket of my jeans or the coin pocket of a pair of swimming trunks and anything is better than nothing.

Also there are people out there who can not, for one reason or another, handle anything bigger.
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 08 Apr 2016, 8:26 am

Vati wrote:22wmr for self defence?

Better then nothing.... various force have durung cold war period used 22rf for sniping.... IDF currently use it to murder kids.... speaking of which, NAZIs had a 4shot 22LR belt buckle for use well and truly passed the point of SHTF.....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by zobster » 08 Apr 2016, 11:44 am

$34/50 CCI 22wmr @ my LGS (Sports Hut, Launceston)
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by WayneO » 25 Apr 2016, 8:43 pm

GLS_1956 wrote:My 22WMR is a North American Arms mini revolver, I wish now I'd bought the 22LR version, and yeah the ammo is pricey up here too. The Hornady brand that is special made for short barreled guns is pushing $40 per 50 when it can be found, the rifle fodder is a bit less. By the way I'm paying between $18 and $25 for bulk pack (around 500 rounds) 22 Long Rifle ammo now.

You Sir are a mean and nasty man.
The last time I remember paying that little for .22LR ammo, some guy came walking off an Ark with lots of animals all around him.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 25 Apr 2016, 10:01 pm

LGS bought a brick of CCI 22wm for $ 214 all they are worth and 223 @ 19 for a box of 20 69gr Remmington Outback , must get somemore of it too all 3 of my 223 seem to like it .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by sbd3927 » 25 Apr 2016, 10:11 pm

Update, I've been quite happy with the Highland RX ammo. I've yet to find time to kill paper with it, which is why I have not posted a follow up, but in clear contrast with the winchester and cci rounds, I'm hitting what I shoot at, which is the ultimate goal of any hunting and stark contrast to the CCI and Winchester..
I grabbed two more boxes. Hopefully i'll find the opportunity to do some 50m/ 100m calibration with it, but it certainly has a functionality that was missing from the other brands.

attachment=0]power_point_left.jpg[/attachment] You can see how rough the power point is, small wonder it can't manage 100mm groups at 100 metres. The best performing Gold Dot CCI was on the right, but discontinued.
Given how much extra brass and powder is in a WMR vs std 22LR.... the pricing is out of this world!
I got the Highland RX at $20,and a brick may come down to $180 Seems worth a brick commitment after some paper confirmation.
Still looking....I'll post a target shot in next week or so, when I find time to make one.
Attachments
power_point_left.jpg
power_point_left.jpg (40.91 KiB) Viewed 7210 times
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 29 Apr 2016, 10:10 pm

The Highland RX actually performed the worst for me in my American RF in WMR, won't be buying that again. 1st place was the CCI max mag, followed by Hornady rounds then the Highland.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Yipikaye » 14 Jun 2017, 1:15 pm

Sorry to dig up an old thread. How has the ammo situation gone?

I've decided I need a 22 rimfire in my life.

Do I go the Magnum or the LR?
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 14 Jun 2017, 1:38 pm

Get the LR and load down your 223 with trailboss for wmr performance and sound level.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 14 Jun 2017, 2:04 pm

Yipikaye wrote:Sorry to dig up an old thread. How has the ammo situation gone?

I've decided I need a 22 rimfire in my life.

Do I go the Magnum or the LR?

No reason to own a WMR - unless you don't reload, centrefire does a better job, and for less expense.
Rimfire only has the advantage of cost so stick with .22LR.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics