22WMR becoming obsolete? Frustrated with ammo prices.

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: 22WMR becoming obsolete? Frustrated with ammo prices.

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Jun 2017, 10:11 am

204! fantastic cal for sniping bunnies and removing their heads at long long ranges, got a 223 and it doesn't get a run when it comes to this sort of thing, the 204 is way better for it IMHO.

Not as cheap to run as a 222 or 223 but if you reload the prices are reasonably comparable (204 is slightly more) but you do get a very flat shooting little cal that is easy to reload for and a real pleasure to shoot.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: 22WMR becoming obsolete? Frustrated with ammo prices.

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Jun 2017, 11:03 am

Gwion wrote:You best check if they allow magnum rim fire.
A 22lr will do a fox in but only pretty close. The 22wmr is pretty expensive to feed. I had a few shots of a Lithgow 22wmr last weekend and it shot well with hornady 40gn but poorly with the hornady 30gn.

Yes, for foxes I recon a 22lr is only reliable for up to about 40 meters or so. I shot a rabbit side on a few weeks ago in the chest using winchester bushman at about 35 meters and the projectile was sitting under the skin on the opposite side, so fox at 40 meters in the chest is about the max. ( heads shots a bit further I guess) Thats why I got a 223.

As G says you can down load a 222 or 223. I have a load for mine that is about equal to a 22 Hornet for when the need arises. Some blokes cast their own and load back to about 22 wmr.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics