Recommendation for .223 ammo?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Recommendation for .223 ammo?

Post by Dogga85 » 03 Apr 2016, 9:07 pm

Hey all,

I haven't been shooting for long. I do not hunt, I just go target shooting down the range, usually at 100m. I have a Weatherby Vanguard S2 Stainless Steel .223. I have been using Geco ammo as it is well priced ($40 for a 50 pack). At the moment the dealer is out and can't get any in for a while. Can anyone recommend other similar ammo they like? I find the Remington / American Eagle ammo very expensive, and from my inexperienced mind, not as good as the Geco, especially just for target shooting.
Dogga85
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Recommendation for .223 ammo?

Post by brett1868 » 03 Apr 2016, 9:30 pm

OSA 55Gr has been quite good in my Howa Mini action and the price is similar to Geco when buying in bulk. Being made by ADI supply shouldn't be a problem like some of the imported rounds.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Dogga85 » 03 Apr 2016, 9:46 pm

Thanks mate, it's good to hear you say that as my dealer did recommend these Buffalo OSA's. He says he has been getting some good feedback on them, but I wasn't 100% sure if he was just making it up or not (i'm so cautious when it comes to 'salesmen' lol). Looks like I'll give these a go :)
Dogga85
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 03 Apr 2016, 10:03 pm

Buy a few packs and see how they perform before committing to a bulk buy as every rifle is different. I bought 100rnds initially but now I reload .223 on the Dillon so I can punch out reloads cheaper then buying. I did however copy their load and projectile choice and only tweaked the seating depth as the OSA was near perfect outta the box.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by zobster » 04 Apr 2016, 11:37 am

OSA is the way to go, running them in my buddy's tikka and my howa. No complains!
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by lole » 08 Apr 2016, 10:46 am

Anything with a Sierra pill in it usually goes good ;)
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sender » 15 Apr 2016, 9:47 am

How often do you shoot? If you're regularly target shooting reloading will become a cheaper option after not too long.
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Nalla Rehctelf » 22 Apr 2016, 10:42 pm

I have recently worked through some of the, What do I what do get?, questions, having just recently returned to hunting. And so much is just about getting enough info and then making a choice. I decided on a .223. It fits in to what I am after. Bigger than my .22 and smaller than my 30 06. Accurate, flat shooting and able to take a reasonable range of pills. I have settled on 223 Steyr, Pro Varmint SS, it is my walk about and although quite heavy, as someone who could lose 10 – 15 kg it a bit rich squibbing over a kg of gun. Plan to shoot 55gr to 69gr load. See what works with practice, practice and more of it.
The Steyr Pro Varmint has a 1 in 9 twist. The previous owner found that;-
1/ Most 55 gr tipped ammunition was good, (Remington accutip, Hornady v-max, Winchester badminton x.
2/ Also Remington 62 gr CTFB
3/ Aussie outback 69gr seirra match king.
I am using 55gr Winchester & Remington Core lokt and buy a 100+at a time when they are on special (using the nett to find good prices) recently got Remington Core lokt 55grn $24 per 20 rounds and 69gr seirra match king $30/20. I happily use Remington Core lokt in my 30 06.
Currently using a packet of Winchester 55. They work well. I went with the Nighteaterr 4-24 x 44 scope. Currently I think that it is "good value". I am mostly using it doing Spotlighting. I tend to treat my equipment as working tools, not wanting to be too precious. It is handling the job, ok.
Lately, I've been having a bit of fun. The local dairy farmer is calving his herd which attracts the foxes in. With a large herd calving there is plenty of feed for them. I am able to ride my pushbike down his laneways with my 223 and Wolf-eyes spotlight. The foxes do not think a pushbike is any problem. So I scoot about on my pushbike with my 223 and Wolf-eyes spotlight. When eyes show up from the bikes light I swing the 223 across and take aim. The foxes are well fed and in very good condition.
Nalla Rehctelf
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Nalla Rehctelf » 08 May 2016, 9:34 pm

I’m a sucker for a good scope. I checked out the optical quality and had to “upgrade”. I got a scope that is really nice to use; Meopta MeoPro 6-18x50. As soon as I could I mounted it onto the Steyr Pro Varmint 223, then sighed it in on 07/05. I started off bore sighting it in then went to a target (Remington Target from Google printed on A4 page) first 20m then 50m finally 100m. All up 20 shots with the last 4 shots. Bang on.
Spotlighting just so good, clear, sharp image easy that is easy to identify objects and then target. Currently using Winchester 55g, accurate and devastating on foxes and cats.
I like my new scope.
Nalla Rehctelf
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by petemacsydney » 09 May 2016, 8:47 am

sako 55gr game head. $99 for 100. seems to work very well in a 1/12 .223. mine's a 1/8 so its a bit loose in mine, but very happy with results out of a 1/12.
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Khan » 10 May 2016, 3:35 pm

lole wrote:Anything with a Sierra pill in it usually goes good ;)

And the price is usually more appealing too :thumbsup:
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Sydor » 11 May 2016, 4:25 pm

OSA with Sierra Gameking 55gr are very good in my 1:8 Tikka.
PPU 55gr are reasonable and quite cheap but tent to get less accurate in hot barrel. PPU brass is good for reloading so...
I tries a few others but could not get consistent results.
Now I use OSA 55 gr for pest control and reloaded Berger 70gr in PPU brass for target shooting. Looking forward to try either on goats when I have time to go for it.
Sydor
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by southwest shooter » 26 May 2016, 2:09 pm

Try a few different brands and see what groups best .
then buy in bulk !
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rakk » 27 May 2016, 11:44 am

Try to buy in bulk.

Find LGS has no stock.

Grumble.

:lol:
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by southwest shooter » 27 May 2016, 6:33 pm

Rakk wrote:Try to buy in bulk.

Find LGS has no stock.

Grumble.

:lol:

Out in the bush mate ?
trip to sydney maybe ?
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by KennyA » 19 Jul 2016, 6:32 pm

Buy some Aussie Outback in either 55gr or the 69gr. The 69gr ammo is my preferred option. Shots assume in my Howa.
I see it occasionally for $15.95 a box. Minmum 5 box purchase.
.177 &.22 Air rifle, .22lr, 223 Rem, 308 Win, 308 Ackley Imp, 410, 45-70, 12g single, U/O, S/S
KennyA
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics