Most under rated rifle calibres

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Most under rated rifle calibres

Post by hootshoot » 09 Nov 2013, 8:22 am

What do you guys reckon is the most under rated rifle calibre?

I noticed when I started shooting, and hearing anyone new getting some advice at a shop, if they want something "small" they pretty much always get told to get a .223.

If they want something "big" or for hunting they get told .308, maybe 30-06.

Doesn't seem like many of the other dozen of calibres get much attention unless a shooter takes it upon himself investigate it and take it up?
Howa 1500 in .270 Win
Stevens 310 in 17 HMR
hootshoot
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Most under rated rifle calibres

Post by Fry » 09 Nov 2013, 1:25 pm

That's pretty broad man.

Under rated for rabbits or water buffalo? :lol:
Fry
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Brute » 09 Nov 2013, 4:25 pm

7mm-08 is a "better" calibre on paper than .308 for a few reasons. Always tough to get 7mm ammo though, especially factory.

Basically .308 came early on, was good and was widely adopted, and it will be tough for anything similar to overtake it at this point.

Same for the smaller and larger calibre favourites.
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Hardcast » 09 Nov 2013, 4:50 pm

Have a read up on the old 7 x 57 Mauser.

At least one Big game hunter ( William Bell ), from yesteryear used it extensively, on everything in Africa and India.

Quoted at least 1,000 Elephant during the Ivory trade.

Marksman using well placed shots with appropriate loads.

Underrated now, but definitely not then.
Hardcast
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by inspector » 09 Nov 2013, 8:09 pm

.22-250 Rem gets passed over a lot for .223 when it would do more for the shooter.

Some cartridges are just too widely adopted to top I guess.
inspector
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 16 Nov 2013, 4:22 pm

Underrated? Mmmmm

Broad topic. Everything depends what you want it to do. I would not take a .17 to shoot buffalo.

I am a 224 or less person. My targets are thin skinned and less than 200m away. I shoot in a rural area but property sizes are less than 500 acres often less than 100. Noise is a factor.

Had a Rem 700 VSSF in .223. Accurate and then some, but it was just too much gun for what I do now.

Sold it and have now dropped to the hornet family. They do not get too much press but are still around for a reason.

Now that the .17 Hornet is about I will tinker with it too.

I like the little case and it's ability to do what I need it to do. Should cost me about 15 cents to reload. All good.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Warrigul » 16 Nov 2013, 4:31 pm

Bills Shed wrote:Sold it and have now dropped to the hornet family. They do not get too much press but are still around for a reason.

Now that the .17 Hornet is about I will tinker with it too.

A hornet is about the perfect calibre for TAS I reckon.

A .22LR and a hornet would cover all rifle needs(unless you were also a deer hunter). Quieter than a .17HMR too.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Broom » 17 Nov 2013, 8:40 am

I shoot .308, but I reckon .243 is a bit under rated.

As long as you're not hitting big game, a .243 will take just about anything here with heavy pills.

And shoots flatter and faster and with less recoil than any of the bigger stuff.
Ruger Gunsite Scout in three oh eight. Oh yeah!
Broom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Oldboy 7mm Dakota » 17 Nov 2013, 9:14 am

I had a hornet many years ago and they are a great little cal for Tassie.

The only reason that I sold it was it was a Anschutz which only have 1 locking point and the cases would separate after 2 to 3 loads but very accurate.

I am now going to use 6 mm br as great for long range, little recoil great on wallys in big paddocks and legal for doe shooting.

Stags I will use the 7 mm Dakota. 22lr is great for in close but good ammo is hard to get down he as we only use club subsonic and find they break up well and lots of other brands are getting to hard in the proj.

Price is well up there also at around 12 to 15 $. So that's another reason we use larger cals as you can load them for a cheaper price and they kill better.

Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Vati » 18 Nov 2013, 8:28 am

I reckon the 7mm family would be one of them.

Just about the right balance of being able to take any game in Aus without being ridiculously over kill for smaller stuff.

Good ballistics, less recoil. Nice middle ground for all I think.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 18 Nov 2013, 10:24 am

Broom wrote:I shoot .308, but I reckon .243 is a bit under rated.

As long as you're not hitting big game, a .243 will take just about anything here with heavy pills.

And shoots flatter and faster and with less recoil than any of the bigger stuff.

If you take availability of off the shelf ammo in to account a .243 is a perfect Tasmanian deer rifle I reckon, not overkill for the foresters down the Midlands either. I worked up the drop on my TIKKA at all ranges on the range a few years ago and it has been the ideal all round rifle for me since. MInd you I punted a 6.5 x 55 swede sporter for a while and was very impressed with it, perhaps my vote for most underated Tasmanian calibre is the 6.5 x 55.

Some people seem to think the stags down here are bulletproof or something, you will never be overgunned with a heavier calibre but the .243 with decent projectiles is more than adequete.

PS, i think the most underated calibre full stop is the 8 x 57 Mauser. So many possibilities that have never been explored. Dare I say it I reckon it could be on par with the 30/06 as a Sambar stalking round. I have a project in the pipeline.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Lorgar » 18 Nov 2013, 1:12 pm

Warrigul wrote:Some people seem to think the stags down here are bulletproof or something, you will never be overgunned with a heavier calibre but the .243 with decent projectiles is more than adequete.

I know a bloke who got a 300 win mag because his .308 "wasn't enough" for deer.

He usually takes fallow and chital as well. Nothing bigger :roll:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldboy 7mm Dakota » 18 Nov 2013, 3:59 pm

As Warrigul said the 6mm cals are all you need for fallow down here,a good place shot and a good proj and its good night.

My son uses a 6mmx47 and its great,I am putting together a 6mm br and my brother a 6mm dasher and the reason for the different cases is so we know who belongs to what when we are loading and shooting.

My brother also has a 6.5 x 55 improved and its also a tack driver in a tikka that he uses for stags and my son and i use the 7mm dakotas for stags as we hunt in plantation and we cant afford for a stag to carry a shot for any distance as we will loose the animal.

Plus most shots are on the run, in this kind of hunting and the Dakota is probably to much gun but it makes short work of them.But in all the 6mm is a great cal with berger projectiles from 95 to 105 gr.

Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Private
Private

Tasmania

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics