.338 Federal Opinions.

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

.338 Federal Opinions.

Post by MalleeFarmer » 18 May 2016, 8:42 pm

I have an FN M70 in .22-250 and it's not as accurate as the cartridge deserves so I'm considering a rebarrel preferably one of the bigger bore .308 based cartridges leaning towards a .338fed but also considering a .358win its just because not for any specific purpose as I have a short barreled Mauser .308 which is my go-to rifle and I can't think of anything in OZ that wouldn't drop aside from Buff (this won't be a buff rifle either) I will consider any short action cartridge you can suggest that is suitable for goats up to camels.

Cheers
Luke
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: .338 Federal Opinions.

Post by sandgroperbill » 18 May 2016, 9:08 pm

Are you wanting something practical or different?
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by MalleeFarmer » 18 May 2016, 9:29 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:Are you wanting something practical or different?

Probably a little of both. I like different stuff im currently building a 6slr which is similar to a .243 and an easy resize from .243 brass. I'm not fussed on ammo availability as I reload and obviously I have a .308 so plenty of brass.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 18 May 2016, 11:35 pm

Without changing the bolt face I think you're on the right track. You also have the .260rem which has a few fans here (good cartridge).
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by happyhunter » 19 May 2016, 12:32 pm

I'm all for the 338 Fed. You'll have something different and practical.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by MalleeFarmer » 19 May 2016, 12:43 pm

happyhunter wrote:I'm all for the 338 Fed. You'll have something different and practical.

This is the way I'm leaning a short lightweight rifle with a bunch of energy also the 210gr partitions could be a solid choice for most anything I want to point it at.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by WayneO » 24 May 2016, 8:43 pm

I must be honest, I had never heard of the .338 Federal before. So I have been doing a bit of reading up on it, and I really like what I have found out so far. This is one very impressive caliber.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by WayneO » 24 May 2016, 8:44 pm

I wonder if I can convince my wife, that I need a dedicated goat rife.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 24 May 2016, 9:20 pm

WayneO wrote:I must be honest, I had never heard of the .338 Federal before. So I have been doing a bit of reading up on it, and I really like what I have found out so far. This is one very impressive caliber.

It's one of the best that very few people seem to shoot. The 338 fed is under rated and probably better suited for most hunting than the 338 magnums.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 24 May 2016, 10:21 pm

How about a medium length mid/big bore.... 376 steyr.... its got the pizzazz . .. and 210grainers at about 3000fps.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by WayneO » 24 May 2016, 10:46 pm

That little .308 case is just really working for me. Combine it with a nice big bullet, a decent amount of powder, and take into account that its no slouch when it comes to pace, and you have a sure fire winner.
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 25 May 2016, 7:39 am

By sticking with the .308 case you shouldn't have any action length issues.

I don't have any experience with the Federal yet but I have an unfired barrel here for my .308 should I decide I need it.

I am shooting a .338WM though and I about to give it a run on some deer. Will be interesting to see how it goes, a mild load is accurate with 250gr Woodleighs doing 2600fps

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 25 May 2016, 8:30 am

WayneO wrote:I wonder if I can convince my wife, that I need a dedicated goat rife.

Easier to beg for forgiveness then to ask for permission. They only stay angry and give you the silent treatment for a few days or if you're lucky a week :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 25 May 2016, 10:03 am

bit of visual representation;

Just an idea...something different, rim size only slightly bigger than standard and might even fit in a standard bolt face or at most just need a little 'clean up'...

I was thinking of chambering one of these 376s, but it was early on in its 'life' before info and dies were available, so I when with the old lady H&H.... Its not very widely known about and I believe it may even have been renamed...

so if you're thinking 338 or maybe 35cal.... just step it up a smidge :thumbsup:
...A shooting forum is nothin without calibre creep :D ;)
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Chronos » 25 May 2016, 10:24 am

brett1868 wrote:
WayneO wrote:I wonder if I can convince my wife, that I need a dedicated goat rife.

Easier to beg for forgiveness then to ask for permission. They only stay angry and give you the silent treatment for a few days or if you're lucky a week :D

And you know what? They get used to seeng new guns they haven't seen come out of the safe before and learn not to ask questions in case you give them a full technical description of the benefits of the new cartridge and it's advantages over the other ones :lol:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 25 May 2016, 10:37 am

Chronos wrote:
brett1868 wrote:

And you know what? They get used to seeng new guns they haven't seen come out of the safe before and learn not to ask questions in case you give them a full technical description of the benefits of the new cartridge and it's advantages over the other ones :lol:

Chronos

That's exactly what I used to say about my guitars with ex girlfriends. Worked everytime!
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 27 May 2016, 7:19 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:bit of visual representation;

Just an idea...something different, rim size only slightly bigger than standard and might even fit in a standard bolt face or at most just need a little 'clean up'...

I was thinking of chambering one of these 376s, but it was early on in its 'life' before info and dies were available, so I when with the old lady H&H.... Its not very widely known about and I believe it may even have been renamed...

so if you're thinking 338 or maybe 35cal.... just step it up a smidge :thumbsup:
...A shooting forum is nothin without calibre creep :D ;)

Hahaha... I like that caliber creep. :lol: But I think I'll be running short on magazine length and I will probably as was said stick to something in the .308 case family I did look at .400s in the .308 case for something really different that I could get reamer and dies for but nothing had really got past the rare once off "let's try this" realm they looked like they showed some promise (as most do) but too rare for me. I'm really leaning toward the .338 as it seems to trump the .358 in nearly every area from velocity to energy and drop. With a massive range of bullets for the .338 the only question being that many bullets are constructed for use with magnums and may be too tough for the velocities the little fed can reach I may need to stick with something like the SST or Nosler BT.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by ozbluei » 03 Jun 2016, 10:35 pm

I've got a tikka in .338 federal. Was a calibre I had read about and kind of bought it by accident when the LGS had one they couldn't get rid of and I got it for a good price. Using hornady interlock 200gr SP with AR2206h at the moment, because it has a flat base and not too heavy - but still having fun doing load development. It was impossible to find .338fed cases - if anyone knows where to get some, let me know ! But it's easy to neck up .308 cases although I've found winchester cases tend to split. Good luck affording factory ammo.

It's a pussycat to shoot and hits hard. Think I've taken about 10-15 deer with it so far. Felt sorry for one I shot - a snap shot as it sprang up out of some bracken. Blew through its back and it fell stone dead like it had been hit by a baseball bat. Definitely an effective calibre and I love that I can use .308 mags and possibly put the rifle in a chassis and use AI mags in the future.

Love to hear what loads and what projectiles and cases people anyone can recommend for this calibre.
ozbluei
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 05 Jun 2016, 10:30 pm

ozbluei wrote:I've got a tikka in .338 federal. Was a calibre I had read about and kind of bought it by accident when the LGS had one they couldn't get rid of and I got it for a good price. Using hornady interlock 200gr SP with AR2206h at the moment, because it has a flat base and not too heavy - but still having fun doing load development. It was impossible to find .338fed cases - if anyone knows where to get some, let me know ! But it's easy to neck up .308 cases although I've found winchester cases tend to split. Good luck affording factory ammo.

It's a pussycat to shoot and hits hard. Think I've taken about 10-15 deer with it so far. Felt sorry for one I shot - a snap shot as it sprang up out of some bracken. Blew through its back and it fell stone dead like it had been hit by a baseball bat. Definitely an effective calibre and I love that I can use .308 mags and possibly put the rifle in a chassis and use AI mags in the future.

Love to hear what loads and what projectiles and cases people anyone can recommend for this calibre.

Sounds Awesome Mate! Definately keen for the .338 fed I wonder if OSA (ADI) cases would be any good? I got 480 of them!! :thumbsup:
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by ozbluei » 18 Jun 2016, 10:17 pm

I'm sure those cases would be fine to neck up. I do worry about getting .308 and .338 fed ammo mixed up though. The .338 Fed would chamber in my .308 or my .260 and i don't think it would be pretty if i pulled the trigger. As it is a hunting rifle, I'm not going to have large stocks of ammo and thinking to use projectiles that look quite different so i cant get them mixed up. Nosler accubond 200gr perhaps. It's quite easy to see the thicker projectile but it is a disadvantage having a whole lot of ammo in different calibers all with 308 headstamp.

Has anyone converted a remington pump to .338 federal ? Because that would be an awesome thing. I wish they made the tikka CTR in .338 fed - I would have been all over one of those. Thinking of cutting the barrel in my tikka down from 24 inches. Doesn't make sense to me to have a 20 inch barrelled rifle chambered in .260 which needs velocity wheras I think a 18 or 20 inch barrelled rifle in .338 fed would be very nifty.
ozbluei
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 20 Jun 2016, 4:32 pm

Try annealing the case necks before sizing.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 21 Jun 2016, 2:00 pm

ozbluei wrote:I'm sure those cases would be fine to neck up. I do worry about getting .308 and .338 fed ammo mixed up though. The .338 Fed would chamber in my .308 or my .260 and i don't think it would be pretty if i pulled the trigger. As it is a hunting rifle, I'm not going to have large stocks of ammo and thinking to use projectiles that look quite different so i cant get them mixed up. Nosler accubond 200gr perhaps. It's quite easy to see the thicker projectile but it is a disadvantage having a whole lot of ammo in different calibers all with 308 headstamp.

Has anyone converted a remington pump to .338 federal ? Because that would be an awesome thing. I wish they made the tikka CTR in .338 fed - I would have been all over one of those. Thinking of cutting the barrel in my tikka down from 24 inches. Doesn't make sense to me to have a 20 inch barrelled rifle chambered in .260 which needs velocity wheras I think a 18 or 20 inch barrelled rifle in .338 fed would be very nifty.

I don't think a .338 fed would chamber in a .308 or a .260 as the chamber is the same length but the bullet and case neck is much wider than both of the other two which would mean you couldn't completely close the bolt.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Redwood » 13 Jul 2016, 12:00 pm

.376 Steyr is interesting, looks like the big brother of .300 AAC but with serious balls.
Redwood
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics