Are air rifle/pistol pellets classafied as Ammunition?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Are air rifle/pistol pellets classafied as Ammunition?

Post by Tindog » 06 Jun 2016, 8:16 pm

Air rifle air pistol .177 pellets:
do they have to be stored in a locked cabinet/ammo safe?
can you have a loaded magazine sitting ON your safe?
can someone find the reference to any Queensland publications or regs and acts.. as I cannot find anything to say that they are restricted or have to be secure.
Beretta 92A1
Tikka T3 CTR .308
Savage Arms Axis .223
Marlin (JM) 1895 SBL 45/70
Walther PPQ M2 .22
Sig Sauer 226 .177 Air
Desert Eagle 1911G
-- Without Trucks, Australia Stops. --
Tindog
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Are air rifle/pistol pellets classafied as Ammunition?

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 07 Jun 2016, 11:12 am

The law refers to "cartridge ammunition" so I would take that for a no, however that is only Victoria, no idea Queensland

"Legislation requires that cartridge ammunition must be stored in a locked container separate from the receptacle in which the firearm is stored."
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 07 Jun 2016, 11:51 am

NSW is very clear on the definition of "Ammunition". Airgun pellets and even "Snap Caps" would be deemed to be ammunition and should be secured as per regulations. Slugs is a bit of a stretch but snap caps (I imagine they would be classified as training / blank) is really stretching it. Best bet is to comply with the most restrictive legislation in the country and you should be covered. I'm off to the workshop now to secure the highly dangerous 50BMG snap caps before the storm troopers kick my door down....

Ammo.JPG
Ammo.JPG (73.36 KiB) Viewed 10396 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 07 Jun 2016, 12:13 pm

brett1868 wrote:NSW is very clear on the definition of "Ammunition". Airgun pellets and even "Snap Caps" would be deemed to be ammunition and should be secured as per regulations. Slugs is a bit of a stretch but snap caps (I imagine they would be classified as training / blank) is really stretching it. Best bet is to comply with the most restrictive legislation in the country and you should be covered. I'm off to the workshop now to secure the highly dangerous 50BMG snap caps before the storm troopers kick my door down....

Ammo.JPG

Do they take your license number down when you buy ammunition and record how much you have?
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 07 Jun 2016, 12:39 pm

Do they take your license number down when you buy ammunition and record how much you have?

There's actually a Police approved register sold by Zions Systems "FAR A1 Register of Ammunition Purchase and Sale" though dealers can use any method they like providing they capture the same information. The form requires the following details in order to comply

Date, Purchase / Sale, Handgun / Longarm, Name, Address, Licence/Permit No. Qty Ammunition, Manufacturer/Description/Calibre, Registration No. PTA No.

In answer to your question, Yes they should be recording the quantity but before getting all paranoid these records are held by the dealer and would only ever be inspected by the registry as a result of an incident investigation or dealer auditing. I keep my register secured in a well hidden location well away from any firearms or ammunition.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 07 Jun 2016, 3:03 pm

A quick perusal of your QLD weapons act;

Schedule 2 Dictionary
ammunition see the Explosives Act 1999, schedule 2.
Editor’s note—
Explosives Act 1999, schedule 2—ammunition includes bombs, grenades, rockets, mines, projectiles and other similar devices and all types of cartridges (including blanks) used in firearms.

:unknown:
so from that, its a yay to your question and it seems like the little pieces of inert lead are to be treated is loaded rounds
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Noisydad » 07 Jun 2016, 5:46 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:A quick perusal of your QLD weapons act;

Schedule 2 Dictionary
ammunition see the Explosives Act 1999, schedule 2.
Editor’s note—
Explosives Act 1999, schedule 2—ammunition includes bombs, grenades, rockets, mines, projectiles and other similar devices and all types of cartridges (including blanks) used in firearms.

:unknown:
so from that, its a yay to your question and it seems like the little pieces of inert lead are to be treated is loaded rounds

This must surely open a big wriggly can of worms in relation to a whole shirt load of lead buried in earthen banks at ranges and sitting in buckets in sheds waiting to be melted down and made into new bullets.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 07 Jun 2016, 7:07 pm

Its frankly ridiculous....whats a projectile? is a potato a projectile? then theres the "and other similar devices " part... just to widen the coverage
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Kai » 07 Jun 2016, 8:26 pm

I better lock up my fishing sinkers to be on the safe side, and carry them to the beach in my lockable 50 cal container when needed.
Kai
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 07 Jun 2016, 9:58 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Its frankly ridiculous....whats a projectile? is a potato a projectile? then theres the "and other similar devices " part... just to widen the coverage

At one point I was considering trying out Maltesers and Jaffas in my front stuffer but they were the wrong caliber. That'd be an interesting day in court! :lol:
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Tindog » 21 Jun 2016, 3:15 am

The way I read that is projectiles are like 20mm rounds 40mm rounds 105mm 25lb type of projectiles all of which have an explosive component, In Artillery we called the bomb the projectile.. and then it goes on and says "and all types of cartridges (including blanks) used in firearms." again all consisting of an explosive component - ie primers and powder.. so its loose because some idiot wrote that Act and left it wide open.. so I'm going with air pellets are NOT required to be secured and could be left in a air pistol magazine as long as its NOT in the gun ! ?
Beretta 92A1
Tikka T3 CTR .308
Savage Arms Axis .223
Marlin (JM) 1895 SBL 45/70
Walther PPQ M2 .22
Sig Sauer 226 .177 Air
Desert Eagle 1911G
-- Without Trucks, Australia Stops. --
Tindog
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 21 Jun 2016, 7:17 am

So when you go to the gunshop and ask for projectiles do they hand you a pack of 25lb explosives?
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gamerancher » 21 Jun 2016, 11:00 am

Air rifle pellets are classified as ammunition in NSW. You cannot buy them without a licence and they must be secured along with your other ammo.
I had a " safe storage " inspection a couple of years ago and the police officer was very concerned about my "insecure ammunition". Which was actually my shelves full of projectiles for reloading. When I explained to him and opened a few boxes to show him that they were "inert" he didn't care. The only thing that saved me from being in breech of the law was the fact that my gun room is lockable and therefore secure. My air rifle pellets were secured in a safe with the rest of my loaded ammo.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics