22LR drop tables

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

22LR drop tables

Post by wade06 » 14 Aug 2016, 10:48 pm

I often need to switch my 22 between different velocity ammo (quiet, subsonic, HV) depending on what and where i am shooting.
I downloaded the Strelok app (which is well worth the $18) and created the following reference tables.

The first table shows the ammo drop at 5m intervals (up to 100m) as it exits the barrel.

The next table is based on CCI subsonic being zeroed at 50m then using another ammo without changing the scope zero. The rise/drop is relative to the scope cross hairs (at 4cm high).
The 710fps CCI quiet is zeroed about 15-20m, the 1260fps HV is zeroed at about 70m and the 1435fps velocitor has a zero at about 90m.

The drops are in cm and there is some excel rounding. All ammo is a bit different so these numbers will be a bit rough.
I will check these figures next time i'm out. Hope this is a help to someone. :)

EDIT: Changed url to img
Last edited by wade06 on 15 Aug 2016, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: 22LR drop tables

Post by bladeracer » 14 Aug 2016, 11:29 pm

I'd be interested to see if the supersonic stuff follows the drop tables after they transition to subsonic.
I don't generally find different ammo shoots to the same windage though. Elevation certainly changes with velocity, but often so does windage.

I fired nineteen types through my BSA Sportsman Five last week to find its favourite fodder.
Eley Match and Remington Cyclone shot the smallest groups so I bought a bunch more of both to test this week over different ranges.
I'm analysing the point-of-impact differences tonight.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 15 Aug 2016, 7:12 am

Good drop tables will give you the transonic range with drops thereafter. Only issue with doing this (which I have done quite a few times) is the quality of your scope. Mine is great for set and forget and the elevation turret seems relatively repeatable, so I can adjust for different ammo velocity; but the windage isn't so hot. If you have a good quality scope that can handle frequent repeatable adjustments and set your tables using a known original velocity, then it should work just fine.

The alternative is to take a few confirmation shots on a target when you change ammo and adjust sights. That's what you should be ding anyway. Best thing about drop charts for 22lr, as far as I'm concerned, is helping to determine best zero distance for the best max. pount blank range.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 15 Aug 2016, 8:05 am

The software does an ok job but I find shooting at actual targets and measuring the drop is the only way to get reliable data.

I downloaded the Strelok app (which is well worth the $18) and created the following reference tables.

I have the free version and it's not bad.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by wade06 » 15 Aug 2016, 8:13 am

My scope is pretty good but I haven't checked how well it holds its zero. For these drops I normally just hold over the scope. The key is always estimating the distance well at longer ranges. :-)
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wade06 » 15 Aug 2016, 8:15 am

Happy Hunter. Totally agree. When I get some spare time I will check and adjust the table in the field.
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rikta » 07 Sep 2017, 11:08 am

i dont see any images or tables or links to either
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Blackened » 07 Sep 2017, 11:11 am

Looks like the URLs of the images are wrong. OP will need to confirm and update.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 Sep 2017, 3:33 pm

sungazer wrote:I was going to start a new thread but found this one to revive. For those that are interested I noticed that JBM http://www.jbmballistics.com now has a few different 22LR bullet manufactures / different types and will give a good drop table for any given conditions.
However the drops don't match up to my DOPE. The MV must be a lot slower in my rifle than published?

Not finding this stuff - do you have a link directly to the data?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Sep 2017, 7:46 pm

sungazer wrote:Go to the calculators page then to the trajectory calculator and in the Library you will find the bullet selections.
http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi
For example. I cant copy and past the library but look at CCI .223 and you will see all the descriptions such as 40grn Long Rifle Mini Mag or Stinger about 11 bullet types CCI, 16 Eleys, RWS and Winchester. There may be a lot more I haven't gone through the whole list looking for them.

I found that, but selecting them doesn't do anything to the data fields in the calculator.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Sep 2017, 8:06 pm

sungazer wrote:It does put in the BC and weight when you hit calculate. Put 0 for distance to chrono then you have to put in a MV. Put in you sight height details.You can put in wind details or set it to 0. Put in some atmospheric data. Your zero range, the increment range and the max range you want it calculated for. Then at the bottom select MOA or Mils and drops to cm or inches you can select others and other stuff but that is the basics. Hit calculate and it will give you the distances and elevations.

Okay, it does give you a BC and the weight. I don't usually find the factory BC to work though with rimfire ammo. It generally requires shooting at several distances to determine the trajectory, a chronograph to determine velocity, and then work backwards to work out the correct BC to suit.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Sep 2017, 8:17 pm

bladeracer wrote:Okay, it does give you a BC and the weight. I don't usually find the factory BC to work though with rimfire ammo. It generally requires shooting at several distances to determine the trajectory, a chronograph to determine velocity, and then work backwards to work out the correct BC to suit.

I just put in my numbers for Eley Match and it's damned near spot on - 1200mm drop at 200m from a 100m zero.
Might have to play with this one a bit more.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics