Martini Cadet Wildcat

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Martini Cadet Wildcat

Post by andym79 » 21 Aug 2016, 7:34 pm

Sorry if this isn't the right place to put it!

Hi guys, firstly please don't crucify me for suggesting it, but I am considering building my own wildcat!

The Wildcats home would be in a BSA Martini Cadet.

Whilst I enjoy casting and shooting cast, the variety of available projectiles, the fact that I am in charge of my ammo supply and the economic benefit that it brings over Js. I have always had one bug bearer with shooting it, since the demise of black powder as the staple, a lot of cartridges are actually over capacity for shooting cast at the best velocity for accuracy. I often find that the most accurate loads that I can get out of several cartridges end up resulting in cases 1/2 full of powder, I don't mind using fillers in straight cases I would rather not in bottlenecks.

Anyway back to the point, I was inspired by a post I read about the 303 pygmy, whilst what I am looking at doing isn't going to be a similar wildcat to the 303 pygmy, the principle of wanting to shoot a reasonable sized slug with a full case of powder is the same.

My train of thought at the moment for the wildcat, and I am at the begin of the thought process is this.

The wildcat will be based on the 5.6x50R, the brass isn't too hard to get here and the rim size is only a very small amount larger than that of the 310 cadet, .410" and .429".

I want to make a single shoot that shoots cast as well as is possible, the caliber doesn't bother me too much, though I would like it to be .264 or larger. I would prefer to shoot a gas checked cast bullet that is average for bore size. A barrel that is conducive to good accuracy even when driving them fast is I want to. I guess I am saying the slowest twist I can get away with.

For a moment please forget the issue of having to get a custom reamer and dies made up, I am trying to focus on the availability of new barrels here in Australia.

I am working on the basis of these twist rates as being the fastest suitable for the purpose that I refer to (I know twist rate is very specific to the projectile that is to be used):

6.5mm (.264) 1-10
.270 1-11
7mm (.284) 1-12
7.62mm (.308) 1-12
.338 1-14
.358. 1-16

Of these however only the .308 caliber is easily available in that twist or slower.

I can get other barrels with a bit more difficulty here in Australia, that woul open the field up to .264 1-11; .308 1-12, 1-14, 1-13 1-17; .357 1-16

I believe it may be possible to straighten the 5.6x50r up and form .357 max brass, if so I may consider just cambering the cadet in 357max.

Anyway I kind of fancy something medium bore and don't have a 33 caliber rifle.

However if I want a .270, .284 or .338 caliber then I need to get a custom barrel from Pac Nor or someone else in the states, someone please chime in if you know of a custom service that does the twist I may be looking for in Australia.

So for arguments sake right now lets work on the basis that I am looking to make a wildcat in either .264, .308 or .357 and that it will be based on necking up the 5.6x50R.

I want to develop a load that either fills the spare case capacity to about 90% or better is a compressed load.

Whilst at the same time I am not looking to smash the velocity unless it delivers an improvement in accuracy, and from my experience past 1800fps extra velocity normally opens up groups.

What advise can anyone offer me?

This is the first very rough example of the sort of thing I have in mind, here is a 26 and 30 cal version, filled to the bullet base and slightly compressed with AR2207 H4198 for approximately 1600fps.

30x50r.jpg
30x50r.jpg (21.38 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
N.O.E._Bullet_Moulds_309-169-FN_(GC).Jpg
N.O.E._Bullet_Moulds_309-169-FN_(GC).Jpg (12.36 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
N.O.E._Bullet_Moulds_270_134Gr._FN_GC.Jpg
N.O.E._Bullet_Moulds_270_134Gr._FN_GC.Jpg (12.35 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
264x50r.jpg
264x50r.jpg (21.35 KiB) Viewed 2140 times

The projectile I am looking at though it may not be the best is an NOE 309-169 for the 30 cal and NOE 268-134 for the 26 cal version.

Thanks

Andy
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Martini Cadet Wildcat

Post by Tank » 21 Aug 2016, 8:24 pm

Hey Andy,
Nice work!
Had you thought about one of the options used quite a bit in the states back in the day? That being 32-40?
I know you're keen on your own wildcat but this would give you something out of the ordinary closely approximating your ballistic requirements. The side benefit being its simplicity to smith....
Rechamber a barrel in good nick and you're pretty much done!
I've got one I'm having rebarrelled in 25-35.....can't wait to get it back!
Love the concept though mate!!
Regs,
Tank.
Keep calm......and hold centre of mass.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Tripod » 21 Aug 2016, 8:44 pm

Google 30-357AET I believe it fits what you want, 357mag necked to .308. Cheap common brass and can run compressed loads with cast. I have been wanting to do one for a long time but haven't ordered a reamer yet. Wanna go halves in a reamer?
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by andym79 » 21 Aug 2016, 8:51 pm

Tank wrote:Hey Andy,
Nice work!
Had you thought about one of the options used quite a bit in the states back in the day? That being 32-40?
I know you're keen on your own wildcat but this would give you something out of the ordinary closely approximating your ballistic requirements. The side benefit being its simplicity to smith....
Rechamber a barrel in good nick and you're pretty much done!
I've got one I'm having rebarrelled in 25-35.....can't wait to get it back!
Love the concept though mate!!
Regs,Tank.

Okay, I though that the problem with the cadet was the length of both the 25-35 and 32-40 without butchering the breech block, I thought that you needed to breach seat rather than using fixed ammo. I had another post a few days ago talking about the t and 32-40, 33-40 and 33-47 and I don't recall anyone chiming in!
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by andym79 » 21 Aug 2016, 8:52 pm

Tripod wrote:Google 30-357AET I believe it fits what you want, 357mag necked to .308. Cheap common brass and can run compressed loads with cast. I have been wanting to do one for a long time but haven't ordered a reamer yet. Wanna go halves in a reamer?

I will do some research and get back to you on that!
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics