Waltz 22lr "Accurising" Die Set

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Waltz 22lr "Accurising" Die Set

Post by Gwion » 13 Sep 2016, 10:39 am

After mentioning the Waltz Dies in another thread (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6685), i thought i would be an idea to put up a post about it.

This is what it looks like:
01WaltzKit.jpg
The Waltz Die set. (pic lifted from another online source)
01WaltzKit.jpg (44.18 KiB) Viewed 5127 times

So how does it work and is it worth it?
The Waltz Die offers two functions. Firstly, it creates a flat point on round nose solid 22lr ammo (or hollow points) at the same time, the diameter of the bullet is made uniform, there by ensuring a uniform seal in the barrel and more consistent pressures & velocities. Measuring the example round here, Federal Champion Hollow Point, the diameter of the bullet can vary by up to 3thou so if you have one bullet that is exactly .224" and one that is .221", you are going to have markedly different pressures/velocities and the point of impact is going to reflect this, ie: your accuracy/precision will be effected. The Waltz die has uniformly sized the base of these Fed Champ HPs to 0.2245".

I don't have any pics to show but i have found that the Fed Champ Solids actually benefit more from this process than the HPs. With solids, i have taken them from a factory round nose that reliably shoots 1.5" @ 50m to a modified bullet (with flat nose) capable of reliably shooting 0.75" (or less) @ 50m; all else being equal, in my T-bolt 22lr. If you were to then weight sort and rim sort the rounds, you can get them to shoot very consistently indeed but you have to be pretty bored or pedantic to do that on a regular basis. So, a round that costs $40 for 550 can be made to match the accuracy of the rifle's otherwise preferred round that costs $110 for 500. Go through 2-3 bricks of ammo and the die has paid for it's self.

The other function of the die is to create some very effective hollow points in solid rounds or to uniform the hollow points in cheaper rounds where they are very inconsistent or near useless. For instance, i find that some HP in the Fed Champ are little more than a dimple. So, the benfit being that a solid round that shoots like stink in your rifle can be made into a very effective and accurate hunting round.

1FedChamp-HollowPoints ABC.jpg
A: Federal Champion Hollow Points as they come out of the box.
B: Same round with the nose flattened to uniform diameter and also length ready for the next step.
C: Depth of the hollow point is set and very uniform as all the rounds are exactly the same length from the previous step.
D: Taking the flat nose too far...
E: Getting carried away with a hollow point that could swallow a rabbit!
1FedChamp-HollowPoints ABC.jpg (148.35 KiB) Viewed 5127 times

Downside? Well, it doesn't improve every round. The Velocitors that my rifle usually loves ended up shooting worse after HP uniforming in the Waltz die but then, when you are paying $12 a box for a hunting round that will put 5 rounds 0.4" @ 50m, why screw with it!??!
Also, the die set comes with a set of instructions that out lines the optimum diameter of the 'flat nose'. I suggest sticking to it as i have found that overdoing it can be counter productive by effecting the seal of the bullet in the case; well, that's my theory, anyway.
The only other downside is that they are not easy to get your hands on. I had to be very patient when ordering mine. I think machining is this guy's strong point, not email correspondence!!! In the end, i was teaming up with a forum buddy to get a couple of sets and i think he actually got the order first and sent mine to me after i paid postage and a few extra bucks for his effort so he could buy some ammo to test.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Re: Waltz 22lr "Accurising" Die Set

Post by Wm.Traynor » 13 Sep 2016, 2:57 pm

You beauty Gwion :D A does-it-work, test. Just what we needed. And for a 50% improvement in group size, it would be worth the price for the satisfaction alone, speaking for myself of course 8-)
Keep up the good work :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 13 Sep 2016, 4:54 pm

When I get more solids, I'll do some direct comparison groups at 25m & 50m for you to see the difference.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by KennyA » 13 Dec 2016, 7:39 pm

So excited to find this tread.
But it ended quite quickly.
Are these dies available in Australia...?
Or do you have to import from the States.
Cheers
.177 &.22 Air rifle, .22lr, 223 Rem, 308 Win, 308 Ackley Imp, 410, 45-70, 12g single, U/O, S/S
KennyA
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 14 Dec 2016, 6:43 am

You have to order them direct from Waltz himself.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics