Magnumitis.... why is it so?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: Magnumitis.... why is it so?

Post by Gwion » 17 Oct 2016, 8:55 pm

brett1868 wrote:Thank Jesus, Allah and Buddha neither the .416 Barrett or 50BMG is a Magnum or I'd be accused of have a small dick :lol:

I think the Magnum designation is more about putting a heavier bullet at the same velocity as a non-magnum at the same range. I haven't really thought much about the magnum classification as I just consider it as a chambering same as any other.

Can definitely see that point, Brett.

The main question I took from the OP was why choose a magnum that has the same or only slightly improved ballistics over other 'standard' cartridges.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Oct 2016, 9:31 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:Only if I never hear from you !

( are you a student of Psychology ? )

Would you believe Rocket scientest?
Last edited by Oldbloke on 17 Oct 2016, 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 17 Oct 2016, 9:32 pm

A "Magnum" is generally based on an enlarged version of an existing cartridge. Associating higher recoil based purely on the "Magnum" moniker is a bit misleading, plenty of non-magnums will sit you on you're ass. Back to the OP's point, high velocity is generally associated with a flatter trajectory and therefore less drop at further distances.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Oct 2016, 9:42 pm

To make it clear. My comments earlier are not directed st sny members who choose to shoot magnums or large calibers. All I was trying to say is that in most instances they are not required.

PS lucky I got a big dick, so I dont need to buy one. :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 17 Oct 2016, 9:59 pm

Oldbloke wrote:To make it clear. My comments earlier are not directed st sny members who choose to shoot magnums or large calibers. All I was trying to say is that in most instances they are not required.

PS lucky I got a big dick, so I dont need to buy one. :lol:

I suffer from a chronic case of micro penis which is why I have a couple safe's full of penis enlargers... :lol:
Something for every occasion, if I only need a couple inches I'll grab the 460XVR or for formal occasions where both length and girth are required I go the John Holmes 50BMG. Project50 is currently under construction and that should be the Ron Jeremy of penis enlargements if it's ever finished.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Rifle realist » 17 Oct 2016, 10:12 pm

I shoot ax.260 rem for most things up my way and for F class target shooting because it does what I need with with very little recoil. When I go after bigger things my .338 Win Mag comes out, because where I shoot it is mostly open country and getting closer than 200-250 yards is difficult so it is heart lung shot, beyond 120 yards the animal has time to turn its head.
Sako quad .22 WMR 3-9X40 Leupold VXI
Anchutz 1430-1434 .22 Hornet 4 X 40 Bushnell
Sako 85 Varmint .260 Rem 4.5-14X50 Leupold VXIII
Sako 85 Hunter .338 Win Mag 3.5-10X40 Leupold VXIII
Marlin 1895 45/70
Assorted .22s & Shotguns
Rifle realist
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 18 Oct 2016, 12:34 am

I purchased my 7mm rem mag because I went to Coolilup range with my brand new high power .222 and did not realise it does not go real good after 250m with standard factory ammo,To hit the target at 400m I had to wind my 6x scope as high as it would go then aim about 600mm above the top of the wood on the target and try to drop them in there somewhere.At the end of the day I realized I would probably not become world champion F class optical shooter with this"highpower"rifle.I went into my LGS on monday and checked out the ballistic charts to see what goes out to 1000m and the 7mm rem mag seemed to do it.So I went back to work and the building supervisor said did you find what you need and I said Yes I need a 7 mm rem mag and the electrical contractor piped up and said I have one of them that he built for F class shooting the rest is history.I did it twice but after 20 shots it hurts a bit with 168gr target bullets.The little .222 has done about 5000 roos for me over the last 20 years so its cool .I have just retired it cos I cant see real good through the little scope any more.I am switching up to my .243 as it has a much bigger scope and I have a lot of ammo and every one else has one so it kind of works for us.The best F class guy was using 6mm rem which is perfect for this sort of thing.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 18 Oct 2016, 12:54 am

The other reason I like my 7mm rem mag is I did a buffalo safari a while back and the guide and operator was curious to see how it would go against other smaller chamberings he had seen over the years.He allowed a hunter to use a 6.5x55 swedish once because he was very experienced and claimed he could do the job and did.If you neck shoot a buffalo bull at 100m or less you will probably be dead within 4-5 seconds cos it wont drop and if it sees you it will attack you.I hit mine in the heart lung area at about 80m and it went down but got up again 3 times and my bullets were going right through the other side.my final shot was at about 40m behind and to one side and I could see the joints in its spine near the neck through the scope and I hit it spot on and it died on the spot even then the guide freaked when I walked in front of it but I knew it was down for good this time by the way it spreadeagled out.I had 3 shots of a 416 Rigby later that day wont be doing that again but thats the kind of gear you want when a bull is 25m away and charging you which happens more times than it should.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 18 Oct 2016, 1:24 am

Real rifle I see your in the west.where do they do F class in the suburbs.I still have a heap of 168gr target bullets left and could handle doing it one more time.I looked up 260 rem seems a very nice mid size chambering.Have you done a heap of barrel work to do F class??
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by tom604 » 18 Oct 2016, 1:39 am

:lol: wow just read the thread and all i can say is that wow oldbloke has a big dickbut because hes old most likely doesn't use it,,gwion and winchester love each other or at least someone wants to fu#k some one :lol: i think that if anyone wants a magnum then go for it, big bullets going a bit faster kills things a bit quicker and everybodywould agree that that's not a bad thing :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Rifle realist » 18 Oct 2016, 2:37 am

Hi Duncan I shoot in the mid west, my rifle is aSako 85 heavy barrel and it is stock so I am not very competitive against most of the guys up here with the custom builds, but it is still a lot of fun and you learn wind reading. I need a bigger scope, hopefully next week a sightron SIIISS1050X60LRFCH will be here and see how it goes.
Sako quad .22 WMR 3-9X40 Leupold VXI
Anchutz 1430-1434 .22 Hornet 4 X 40 Bushnell
Sako 85 Varmint .260 Rem 4.5-14X50 Leupold VXIII
Sako 85 Hunter .338 Win Mag 3.5-10X40 Leupold VXIII
Marlin 1895 45/70
Assorted .22s & Shotguns
Rifle realist
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by scotty87 » 18 Oct 2016, 5:20 am

The 7mm magnums and 300wsm seem to be popular choices for chamois and tahr in NZ as often you have a long shot 300-500 yards and need the animal to go down on the spot it stands in order for it to be recoverable, or to fall into a recoverable area.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Oct 2016, 5:25 am

tom604 wrote::lol: wow just read the thread and all i can say is that wow oldbloke has a big dickbut because hes old most likely doesn't use it,,gwion and winchester love each other or at least someone wants to fu#k some one :lol: i think that if anyone wants a magnum then go for it, big bullets going a bit faster kills things a bit quicker and everybodywould agree that that's not a bad thing :thumbsup:

Just to make it clear wincbester and gwion are NOT going to borrow my dick. They need to use theirs. :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TheDude » 18 Oct 2016, 6:39 am

Only magnum I have is a 375 h&h. I have it cause I can and it's a s**t load of fun to shoot.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 18 Oct 2016, 7:01 am

tom604 wrote::lol: wow just read the thread and all i can say is that wow oldbloke has a big dickbut because hes old most likely doesn't use it,,gwion and winchester love each other or at least someone wants to fu#k some one :lol: i think that if anyone wants a magnum then go for it, big bullets going a bit faster kills things a bit quicker and everybodywould agree that that's not a bad thing :thumbsup:

Pretty much sums up the whole thread :D
As a correction though, the older we get the more action we get so Oldbloke's prolly on the nest every other night :) Mature women don't have the vanity of younger generations and they know what they want and are not afraid to get it. Go spend some time in a nursing home and you'd be amazed at the amount of bed hopping going on and let's not forget that Menopause is natures birth control :lol:
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 18 Oct 2016, 7:16 am

Haha... I read early on then wasn't interested in jumping into bed with the progressive's love fest....but Tom (not deceased feline)...

Has summed it up....I'm concerned there may be some dique pics though on the previous pages so won't be going there ... all I'll say, what's this every other day bizzo? ?
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 18 Oct 2016, 7:24 am

I'd send ya a dick pic G but it'll take me a while to find the wife's bag and even longer to get permission so you'll have to use your imagination, think party frank :D
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Oct 2016, 7:56 am

brett1868 wrote:

As a correction though, the older we get the more action we get so Oldbloke's prolly on the nest every other night :) Mature women don't have the vanity of younger generations and they know what they want and are not afraid to get it. Go spend some time in a nursing home and you'd be amazed at the amount of bed hopping going on and let's not forget that Menopause is natures birth control :lol:

Bloody hell. Bretts right again!
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 18 Oct 2016, 8:30 am

brett1868 wrote:I'd send ya a dick pic G but it'll take me a while to find the wife's bag and even longer to get permission so you'll have to use your imagination, think party frank :D

Or the partly wrapped ones??

just dont let the wife near it...

with a sharp instrument...
:o :D
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bladeracer » 18 Oct 2016, 8:44 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Image

That is crying out for some 50 BMG ballistic testing!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Oct 2016, 8:52 am

Advertising Bro, it's all about the spin, everyone knows ya now need an Elephant Gun to stop armor plated rabbits. :sarcasm:

Or maybe they are compensating for being s**t shots? :unknown:

End of the day whatever floats ya boat I guess - don't worry me if they do or don't buy a big cal. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Oct 2016, 8:53 am

bladeracer wrote:

It would save on having to use a knife to cut it up :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by tom604 » 18 Oct 2016, 9:04 am

Oldbloke wrote:
brett1868 wrote:

Bloody hell. Bretts right again!

Only one problem with mature women,,,,,,they're old :twisted:

Men improve with age :allegedly:

My wife may disagree :lol: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 18 Oct 2016, 9:19 am

Only one problem with mature women,,,,,,they're old :twisted:

They're all the same age in the dark, failing that the McDonalds approach works well.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 18 Oct 2016, 9:22 am

bladeracer wrote:

Looks like an interesting challenge and now I've got some 798Gr Hollow Points I'd love to see what sort of damage they'd do to something other then the giant bunnies :)
Last edited by brett1868 on 18 Oct 2016, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 18 Oct 2016, 9:22 am

Men are like wine
Women are like cheese
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Skadoo » 18 Oct 2016, 9:53 am

Heckler303 wrote:
Chronos wrote:Once animals get over a certain size the rate at which it bleeds makes a difference to your chances of finding it.

Wait, what? You can't just place a shot in the head/neck region and make it drop on the spot? Sorry, that just sounds like poor marksmanship there.

Not having a go mate but that's a poor and obviously argument.

"Just head shot" is one of the most useless pieces of advice out there that too many guys just out to stroke their own ego repeat over and over.

No one can head shot perfectly every time, no one. It's perfectly sensible and ethical to opt for a calibre that will effectively and humanely kill with a variety of shot placements from head to chest.

Not having a go at you, just at the "head shot everything" line of thinking in general.
Skadoo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 18 Oct 2016, 10:03 am

Skadoo wrote:Not having a go mate but that's a poor and obviously argument.

"Just head shot" is one of the most useless pieces of advice out there that too many guys just out to stroke their own ego repeat over and over.

No one can head shot perfectly every time, no one. It's perfectly sensible and ethical to opt for a calibre that will effectively and humanely kill with a variety of shot placements from head to chest.

Not having a go at you, just at the "head shot everything" line of thinking in general.

And yet head shots are required when shooting kangaroos.
https://www.environment.gov.au/biodiver ... angaroos#2

"The Code sets an achievable standard of humane conduct and is the minimum required of persons shooting kangaroos."

"Point of aim

Conditions

A shooter using a rifle must aim so as to hit the target kangaroo in the brain (see diagram in Schedule 2), except in the case of an injured or wounded animal where a brain shot may be impractical.
A shooter using a shotgun must aim so that, whether the target kangaroo is stationary or mobile, it will be hit in the head, neck or chest by the centre of the pattern."
Attachments
headshot.jpg
headshot.jpg (26.53 KiB) Viewed 6843 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 18 Oct 2016, 10:09 am

Skippy is almost always shot from a vehicle using a rest. It's not hunting.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bladeracer » 18 Oct 2016, 10:15 am

happyhunter wrote:Skippy is almost always shot from a vehicle using a rest. It's not hunting.

I never suggested it was.
My point was that we all understand that we are fallible even under the best conditions, and yet our laws ignore that fact.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics