Magnumitis.... why is it so?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: Magnumitis.... why is it so?

Post by darwindingo » 19 Oct 2016, 9:46 pm

brett1868 wrote:
duncan61 wrote:Thank you,I am new and really enjoy some of the information I am gaining from other shooters.The people I take shooting on my block think I am some sort of gun guru but I am in the fortunate position of knowing enough to know I know very little.The personal stuff was getting wearing and making it hard to follow the thread

"You have a block" Big mistake saying that in public :D You'll be flooded with offers of beer and stout in return for an invite over. I'm telling you this cause I am your friend so let me know when I can come over, ignore the others :friends:

Hey, Sharing is caring Brett... :friends: :drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by duncan61 » 19 Oct 2016, 10:09 pm

If you have a rifle that can shoot a 50gr pill at around 3000fps in to a 80mm circle 5 times in a row you are welcome to come and do the ambush thing.Long way from the territory.On the fishing site I am on I have met a lot of shooters and made some good friends
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 19 Oct 2016, 11:25 pm

duncan61 wrote:If you have a rifle that can shoot a 50gr pill at around 3000fps in to a 80mm circle 5 times in a row you are welcome to come and do the ambush thing.Long way from the territory.On the fishing site I am on I have met a lot of shooters and made some good friends

I've probably got several that can do that, I'm assuming 100m but 80mm is very generous. I'm in NSW so a long way from W.A but I joke about the block thing cause I have a little 400 acre garden patch in the Pilliga I bought to relax and shoot on and I get asked for permission to hunt on a regular basis. Most of my "hunting" these days involves laying prone in the back of the vehicle under a tree at my cousins farm picking off pests from 400-1200m but most are 400-600m.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 20 Oct 2016, 1:58 am

Sounds great.This property is 860 Ha which I think is over 2000 acre.My engineering /shooting buddy is back fromThailand monday and we will knock up some circle plates on a swinging gallows that can be placed at differemt ranges and have some fun
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Oct 2016, 3:55 am

I might need to be careful. I might get kicked out due to my dick size. 8-)
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 20 Oct 2016, 7:02 am

Oldbloke wrote:I might need to be careful. I might get kicked out due to my dick size. 8-)

You boasting again mate :) We all know that a penis is a tool to both copulate and urinate with. All tools wear with use so therefore if you have a massive tool then you probably haven't used it much or for its intended purpose :lol:
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Oct 2016, 7:21 am

I pee every day. What r u talking about.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 20 Oct 2016, 7:22 am

WAY too early for dick jokes!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by brett1868 » 20 Oct 2016, 7:31 am

Gwion wrote:WAY too early for dick jokes!

Been in the office mashing the keyboard a few hours already and it's never too early for dick or fart jokes :D
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Skadoo » 20 Oct 2016, 8:06 am

bladeracer wrote:And yet head shots are required when shooting kangaroos.
https://www.environment.gov.au/biodiver ... angaroos#2

"The Code sets an achievable standard of humane conduct and is the minimum required of persons shooting kangaroos."

"Point of aim

Conditions

A shooter using a rifle must aim so as to hit the target kangaroo in the brain (see diagram in Schedule 2), except in the case of an injured or wounded animal where a brain shot may be impractical.
A shooter using a shotgun must aim so that, whether the target kangaroo is stationary or mobile, it will be hit in the head, neck or chest by the centre of the pattern."

I'm not sure which point you're arguing here.

Are you saying that the law is impractical?

Or supporting the "just headshot everything" argument by quoting it?

Are we suggesting now but because a law is written that it makes sense?

That it somehow magically imbues every kangaroo shooter with Chuck Norris levels of accuracy?
Skadoo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 20 Oct 2016, 9:20 am

Skadoo wrote:
bladeracer wrote:And yet head shots are required when shooting kangaroos.
https://www.environment.gov.au/biodiver ... angaroos#2

"The Code sets an achievable standard of humane conduct and is the minimum required of persons shooting kangaroos."

"Point of aim

Conditions

A shooter using a rifle must aim so as to hit the target kangaroo in the brain (see diagram in Schedule 2), except in the case of an injured or wounded animal where a brain shot may be impractical.
A shooter using a shotgun must aim so that, whether the target kangaroo is stationary or mobile, it will be hit in the head, neck or chest by the centre of the pattern."

I'm not sure which point you're arguing here.

That it somehow magically imbues every kangaroo shooter with Chuck Norris levels of accuracy?

One has little to do with the other when comparing hunting and roos culling.

A mate used to shoot for the chillers. He was telling me on Friday night that he loads ammo for his .223 twice a year, 2'000 rounds at a time and his records show the difference between shots fired and carcasses on hooks in the mobile cool room are about 1%. In fact he takes misses so seriously than any case from a missed shot is placed back in the ammo box upside down and that case closely inspected before being used again.

They're require to head shoot and are blessed with having a target that's both stupid enough to sit and watch the vehicle from under 200y and on private property at least fairly used to the farmers vehicles getting about. As previously stated they shoot from a rest in a vehicle, very different to hunting easily spooked game like deer on foot where shots are often taken standing and game are sometimes moving, raking shots change the game again and the issue of trophy heads also prevents head shots.

Thing is you need to be prepared for the biggest animal you're likely to come across. .270 may be the minimum cartridge sir sambar in Vic but a really big stag may require more gun than a spiker and I know at least two blokes who've lost good stags with a .270 and a 30-06. Both experienced deer guys and both have since gone to a magnum, .300WSM for one and .338WM for the other but you've still got to make your shots count and the safest option is the largest target which is to hit the boiler room with enough bullet to do the damage required.

A mate in the NT said when choosing a gun for up there he looks at caliber first, then bullet weight then velocity last because on a big animal it's better to have a heavy bullet blow a big hole right through than have a light bullet explode before reaching the vitals.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 20 Oct 2016, 9:25 am

Skadoo wrote:I'm not sure which point you're arguing here.

My post was specifically referring to a previous post essentially stating that head shots are not necessary so we can ignore them.
If you are shooting 'roos then "just head-shoot everything" is not an option, it's a requirement.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 20 Oct 2016, 10:13 am

duncan61 wrote:Sounds great.This property is 860 Ha which I think is over 2000 acre.My engineering /shooting buddy is back fromThailand monday and we will knock up some circle plates on a swinging gallows that can be placed at differemt ranges and have some fun

I didn't realise there were still any properties that size at roelands. The large properties around the sw seemed to have mostly disappeared over time, getting sold off bit by bit. The property I mainly shoot on is in this boat. Its just been sub-divided into 100 acre blocks.

Such a shame, but his kids aren't interested in running the farm.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 Nov 2016, 1:43 pm

I was going to ignore this thread initially, until I saw the amount of interest and "he said/she said" being generated. In Brief, whatever the yanks do, we do 10 years later. magnumitis started there, and ended up here, something along the lines of bigger is better or size matters etc. Of course we can all buy a car or motorcycle than can do triple the speed limit, "because we can ", so why not? Much the same with guns, but with a couple of variations. I've personally shot many hundreds of Buffalo with a 303 and a 30-06, countless scrub cattle and horses, and same with pigs. A 12 year stint in the territory, quite some time in qld's gulf country and less time amongst the cane fields of FNQ brought me into contact with much quarry and a lesser number of hunters. The amount of BS I have heard, and continue to hear still astounds me. Seen a buff take 8 shots from a 30.06 using fmj ammo, ( full clip of an M1 Garand in case your curios), all neck and chest shots, before she dropped from ONE shot to the head from my P14 303 in swampy country; point in question being shot placement. Needless to say I never went shooting with that idiot again. Gut shot pigs with 444 marlins running as if they had been missed completely, Kangaroos hit with 300 Win mags hopping away like nothing happened......in the end I chose to hunt with one other bloke and stuck to it. Too many cowboys out there that think that the bigger the gun, the less you have to aim it correctly.
I've owned and hunted with 458's and 375 H&H's, and never saw a big game animal drop any quicker, than one hit in a vital spot than with my old 8mm Mauser. Shot placement and bullet selection make all the difference. Don't try and sell me the old line that a perfect sight picture doesn't always happen. My rule of thumb is that I go for a head shot or nothing; the world will not end if I can't take a shot that will ensure a clean kill. Try chasing a wounded boar or scrub bull through mimosa or pandanus swamp and you'll get my point of view. My father was a professional shooter, and his 222 accounted for many head shot roo's with skins intact.
Years ago, the 303 was considered too powerfull for most Australian game, and spawned a host of wildcats in smaller calibres to suit our lighter skinned quarry. It's a change in mindset that has spurred on magnumitis, as our game hasn't gotten any tougher to kill. Also keep in my mind that over 90% of our projectiles come from the good ol' US of A, and designed for much thicker skinned heavily boned prey. And if you think that dropping an animal at 1000 metres is a pre requisite, maybe your stalking skills need looking at. I've rarely taken a shot over 300 meteres in my life, and most being under 200.

We're all entitled to our views, so all you magnum toting shooters out there please don't regard this as a personal attack. I've personally met pro Buff hunters who used a 308 norma magnum, or a 375 H&H, because it suited them at the time, and there have been lots of animals left to die from military ammo. For me, it has always been , and always will, be about shot placement with the best type of projectile avaible for the job. Do your home work to find out what brand and type expands at what velocity, tailor your handloads to suit, and practice putting it in the right spot. As for "too much gun"........well, maybe not if you are just trying to kill something, but it certainly promotes flinching, wrecks a lot of meat and hides, and gives the anti-gun morons something else to dribble about. Happy shooting......
Member-Deleted

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Nov 2016, 8:17 pm

I vote this is the most hilarious thread...

The flow over the several pages, good info mixed with dick jokes.. and various other useful nonsense..

What a crack up

What was the question?

Oh... magnumitis... that started in the UK, back back yonder... when oldbloke was a pup. :lol:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by duncan61 » 13 Nov 2016, 8:51 pm

I totally agree with aradoar.Many things have been shot at with inappropriate calibres.For buff and cattle you should be using corelokt bullets or solids from barnes or similar to get the maximum penetration and bullet holding together possible for the animals sake.The pro guide I went on Safari for Buffalo with had his own custom rifle that he had made using the 375 H&H case necked up to .416 with woodleigh 400g solid pills.One of the Estonians that came out while I was there took a shot off the bonnet of the car and did not place the round and this Buffalo Bull was running away when the guide hit from behind and I recovered the projectile from its nose when I was caping it.It looked like you could just about reload it.I kept it for years.Its not a pissing contest its about using the right tools for the job.If you need a Magnum get one
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics