Magnumitis.... why is it so?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: Magnumitis.... why is it so?

Post by Ar50a1 » 18 Oct 2016, 7:55 pm

A magnum cartridge is generally an improved version of a existing cartridge not rocket science if you need more power without going up in caliber use a magnum! For those that think a magnum is just for a pissing competition go hunting in NSW national parks and see how long it is before you are wearing handcuffs as it is absolutely illegal to take a headshot and the animal welfare act is very clear about required energy for humanely dispatching feral animals 4500 ftlbs is the minimum required for aisian buff so anyone bragging about using a old 303 may want to discontinue this as is prosecutable
BTW hydrostatic shock is not achieved unless the projectile impacts at above 2600 fps!
Ar50a1
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by GLS_1956 » 18 Oct 2016, 7:58 pm

Magnumitis. Yup we got a lot of that here in the States, we have automobile manufacturers who sell cars and trucks, pick-up trucks, with engines developing close to 900 hp and that will reach 150 mph while the maximum speed that I know about on highways is 80 mph, but they sell a sh*t-pot full of them.

When it comes to guns and the ammo we have more choices out there than we can shake a stick at. For a large number of people it is ego, read penis extension, for some it is using more energy to make up for poorer bullet placement. One hunter I know used a 300WM for elk, wapiti, hunting in mountainous Colorado where his shots may be anywhere from 100 yards to 600 yards, since he never knew the distance his shot would be he took a gun/cartridge combo that would work at the maximum distance, this makes sense to me, he no longer goes out of state to hunt and has bought a rifle in 260Remington for deer.

Personally I have 8 guns chambered for magnum cartridges, 1 in 357Mag, 2 in 22WRM, 2 in 44Mag, 2 in 12gauge Magnum, and 1 in 20 gauge Magnum. My other guns are non-magnums.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by darwindingo » 18 Oct 2016, 9:03 pm

Oldbloke wrote:No, not tonight. The gimp mask is strictly Saturday nights only.

PS. Sounds like you young blokes need to start drinking stout. :thumbsup:

Young bloke :thumbsup: , I like the sound of that OB... According to my nieces and nephews I'm old and crusty or something... :lol:

I like stout btw... you made yours sound strong... I was going to put in an offer to be a brew testing Dingo... :lol:

Also, at least ya missus is getting sat night fun :lol:

:drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 19 Oct 2016, 1:26 pm

Mmm.... Stout.... way ahead of ya!
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 19 Oct 2016, 1:30 pm

So long as it's not Cooper's Stout or you risk a case of Cooper's Droop :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Tripod » 19 Oct 2016, 1:34 pm

Ar50a1 wrote:A magnum cartridge is generally an improved version of a existing cartridge not rocket science if you need more power without going up in caliber use a magnum! For those that think a magnum is just for a pissing competition go hunting in NSW national parks and see how long it is before you are wearing handcuffs as it is absolutely illegal to take a headshot and the animal welfare act is very clear about required energy for humanely dispatching feral animals 4500 ftlbs is the minimum required for aisian buff so anyone bragging about using a old 303 may want to discontinue this as is prosecutable
BTW hydrostatic shock is not achieved unless the projectile impacts at above 2600 fps!

bulls**t!
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 19 Oct 2016, 3:56 pm

Tripod wrote:
Ar50a1 wrote:A magnum cartridge is generally an improved version of a existing cartridge not rocket science if you need more power without going up in caliber use a magnum! For those that think a magnum is just for a pissing competition go hunting in NSW national parks and see how long it is before you are wearing handcuffs as it is absolutely illegal to take a headshot and the animal welfare act is very clear about required energy for humanely dispatching feral animals 4500 ftlbs is the minimum required for aisian buff so anyone bragging about using a old 303 may want to discontinue this as is prosecutable

bulls**t!

Which part are you calling BS on???

I personally find it hard to believe that a head shot is illegal!??! :wtf: :unknown: :huh:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Chronos » 19 Oct 2016, 3:57 pm

"
I'd like to see the legislation that says " it is absolutely illegal to take a headshot" and " the animal welfare act is very clear about required energy for humanely dispatching feral animals 4500 ftlbs is the minimum required for aisian buff" because it sounds like you pulled that from some government contract shooting handbook and is totally non applicable to sporting shooters

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 19 Oct 2016, 4:40 pm

Tripod wrote:

bulls**t!

Whats a bit of bulls**t between friends.....

I dont think there are ANY cartidges with Magnum in the name that are improved, most of the old skool magnums are based on a Magnum - 375 H&H Mag., original short mag family, 300winMag family, original long mags 416, 8mm etc, modern Short Mags, modern super short mags....

The word was adopted as a marketing term, like a Champagne magnum to give the impression of something really big and impressive, powerful... or was it after Magnum P.I. because theyre trying to emulate his 'coolness'.... :unknown: :lol:

Full list of commercial mags (some very recent additions may be missing)
505 Mag. Gibbs
500 S&W Mag.
465 H&H Belt. Mag.
45-70 Elko Mag.
458 Win. Mag.
460 Weath. Mag.
460 S&W Mag.
45 Win. Mag.
44 Rem. Mag.
416 Weath. Mag.
416 Rem. Mag.
400 H&H Belt. Mag.
450/400 Mag. N.E. 3"1/4
41 Rem. Mag.
375 Rem. Ultra Mag.
375 H&H Mag.
378 Weath. Mag.
375 Weath. Mag.
375 Fl. Mag. N.E.
358 Norma Mag.
350 Rem. Mag.
357 Auto Mag.
357 Magnum
350 Mag. Rigby
338 Win. Short Mag.
338 Lapua Mag.
338 Win. Mag.
338-378 Weath. Mag.
338 Norma Magnum
338 Rem. Ultra Mag.
340 Weath. Mag.
8 mm Rem. Mag.
32 H&R Mag.
300 Lapua Mag.
300 Rem. Ultra Mag.
300 Win. Mag.
300 H&H Mag.
308 Norma Mag.
300 Win. Short Mag.
300 Rem. SA Ultra Mag.
30-378 Weath. Mag.
300 Norma Magnum
300 Weath. Mag.
7 mm Rem. Ultra Mag.
7 mm Win. Short Mag.
7 mm Rem. Mag.
7 mm Rem. SA Ultra Mag.
7 mm Weath. Mag.
7mm Mag. Fl. H&H
270 Win. Short Mag.
270 Weath. Mag.
264 Win. Mag.
256 Mag. Gibbs
6,5 mm Rem. Mag.
6,5 x 63 Messner Mag.
257 Weath. Mag.
25 Win. SSM
256 Win. Mag.
244 H&H Mag.
240 Weath. Mag.
243 Win. Super Short Mag.
223 Win. Super Short Mag.
224 Weath. Mag.
5,6 x 50 R Mag.
5,6 x 50 Mag.
222 Rem. Mag.
22 Win. Mag. R.F.
22 Rem. Jet Mag.
5 mm Rem. Mag.

Our friend may be confusing just plain 'improved' cartridges...

Mags are fun to shoot.... and fun to watch your mates shoot :lol: especially a decent thumper...in a really light rifle

oh... the give away that its a smidge bs'y, is that our laws wouldnt use the language we dumped half a century ago... plus our lawmakers arent that switched on to use the 'energy' thingy.... that would be in Joules :thumbsup:
Last edited by <<Genesis93>> on 19 Oct 2016, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Tripod » 19 Oct 2016, 4:40 pm

Gwion wrote:
Tripod wrote:

bulls**t!

Which part are you calling BS on???

I personally find it hard to believe that a head shot is illegal!??! :wtf: :unknown: :huh:

Everything except the first sentence.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by brett1868 » 19 Oct 2016, 5:14 pm

G, isn't the .357 Magnum and improved version of the 38 Special created by S&W in the 30's and is credited as "Starting" the magnum era of handgun ammo or have I missed something? This whole magnum non magnum argument means little to me as it has no input on my buying decisions.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 19 Oct 2016, 5:27 pm

brett1868 wrote:G, isn't the .357 Magnum and improved version of the 38 Special created by S&W in the 30's and is credited as "Starting" the magnum era of handgun ammo or have I missed something? This whole magnum non magnum argument means little to me as it has no input on my buying decisions.

Don't destroy a totally plausible argument ;) ....the 357Mag is the 'extended' Special case.... but they stole the Magnum term from the Brits who had used the Magnum term since before 1900, also the 'Express' (like an Express train).... its all in the name...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Supaduke » 19 Oct 2016, 6:07 pm

I'm a magnum human
A larger improved version ;)
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Oct 2016, 7:14 pm

brett1868 wrote:So long as it's not Cooper's Stout or you risk a case of Cooper's Droop :)

Shame on you. Didnt you read my earlier post. Hard, fast and big. :drinks:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aster » 19 Oct 2016, 8:39 pm

Ok gents, it's not often this happens but here we are again...

Obviously this thread got way out of hand. The 2 pages of personal attacks and otherwise pointless crap have been deleted, and a few holidays have been issued. Some longer than others.

A reminder to all: The 'report post' functionality is on every post and is there for a reason. Mods can't be everywhere at every second of the day, if an inappropriate reply is live on the forum don't be shy about reporting it.

Rising to the challenge, taking the bait or continuing the argument doesn't help anything, just forward it along and let the mods clean up the topic and deal with the poster(s) as appropriate.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by brett1868 » 19 Oct 2016, 8:59 pm

Shame on you. Didnt you read my earlier post. Hard, fast and big

I was thinking Hard Liquor, Fast drunk and Big hangover :D
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 19 Oct 2016, 9:05 pm

Thank you,I am new and really enjoy some of the information I am gaining from other shooters.The people I take shooting on my block think I am some sort of gun guru but I am in the fortunate position of knowing enough to know I know very little.The personal stuff was getting wearing and making it hard to follow the thread
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 19 Oct 2016, 9:25 pm

duncan61 wrote:Thank you,I am new and really enjoy some of the information I am gaining from other shooters.The people I take shooting on my block think I am some sort of gun guru but I am in the fortunate position of knowing enough to know I know very little.The personal stuff was getting wearing and making it hard to follow the thread

"You have a block" Big mistake saying that in public :D You'll be flooded with offers of beer and stout in return for an invite over. I'm telling you this cause I am your friend so let me know when I can come over, ignore the others :friends:
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 19 Oct 2016, 9:46 pm

brett1868 wrote:
duncan61 wrote:Thank you,I am new and really enjoy some of the information I am gaining from other shooters.The people I take shooting on my block think I am some sort of gun guru but I am in the fortunate position of knowing enough to know I know very little.The personal stuff was getting wearing and making it hard to follow the thread

"You have a block" Big mistake saying that in public :D You'll be flooded with offers of beer and stout in return for an invite over. I'm telling you this cause I am your friend so let me know when I can come over, ignore the others :friends:

Hey, Sharing is caring Brett... :friends: :drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by duncan61 » 19 Oct 2016, 10:09 pm

If you have a rifle that can shoot a 50gr pill at around 3000fps in to a 80mm circle 5 times in a row you are welcome to come and do the ambush thing.Long way from the territory.On the fishing site I am on I have met a lot of shooters and made some good friends
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 19 Oct 2016, 11:25 pm

duncan61 wrote:If you have a rifle that can shoot a 50gr pill at around 3000fps in to a 80mm circle 5 times in a row you are welcome to come and do the ambush thing.Long way from the territory.On the fishing site I am on I have met a lot of shooters and made some good friends

I've probably got several that can do that, I'm assuming 100m but 80mm is very generous. I'm in NSW so a long way from W.A but I joke about the block thing cause I have a little 400 acre garden patch in the Pilliga I bought to relax and shoot on and I get asked for permission to hunt on a regular basis. Most of my "hunting" these days involves laying prone in the back of the vehicle under a tree at my cousins farm picking off pests from 400-1200m but most are 400-600m.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 20 Oct 2016, 1:58 am

Sounds great.This property is 860 Ha which I think is over 2000 acre.My engineering /shooting buddy is back fromThailand monday and we will knock up some circle plates on a swinging gallows that can be placed at differemt ranges and have some fun
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Oct 2016, 3:55 am

I might need to be careful. I might get kicked out due to my dick size. 8-)
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 20 Oct 2016, 7:02 am

Oldbloke wrote:I might need to be careful. I might get kicked out due to my dick size. 8-)

You boasting again mate :) We all know that a penis is a tool to both copulate and urinate with. All tools wear with use so therefore if you have a massive tool then you probably haven't used it much or for its intended purpose :lol:
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Oct 2016, 7:21 am

I pee every day. What r u talking about.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 20 Oct 2016, 7:22 am

WAY too early for dick jokes!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by brett1868 » 20 Oct 2016, 7:31 am

Gwion wrote:WAY too early for dick jokes!

Been in the office mashing the keyboard a few hours already and it's never too early for dick or fart jokes :D
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Skadoo » 20 Oct 2016, 8:06 am

bladeracer wrote:And yet head shots are required when shooting kangaroos.
https://www.environment.gov.au/biodiver ... angaroos#2

"The Code sets an achievable standard of humane conduct and is the minimum required of persons shooting kangaroos."

"Point of aim

Conditions

A shooter using a rifle must aim so as to hit the target kangaroo in the brain (see diagram in Schedule 2), except in the case of an injured or wounded animal where a brain shot may be impractical.
A shooter using a shotgun must aim so that, whether the target kangaroo is stationary or mobile, it will be hit in the head, neck or chest by the centre of the pattern."

I'm not sure which point you're arguing here.

Are you saying that the law is impractical?

Or supporting the "just headshot everything" argument by quoting it?

Are we suggesting now but because a law is written that it makes sense?

That it somehow magically imbues every kangaroo shooter with Chuck Norris levels of accuracy?
Skadoo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 20 Oct 2016, 9:20 am

Skadoo wrote:
bladeracer wrote:And yet head shots are required when shooting kangaroos.
https://www.environment.gov.au/biodiver ... angaroos#2

"The Code sets an achievable standard of humane conduct and is the minimum required of persons shooting kangaroos."

"Point of aim

Conditions

A shooter using a rifle must aim so as to hit the target kangaroo in the brain (see diagram in Schedule 2), except in the case of an injured or wounded animal where a brain shot may be impractical.
A shooter using a shotgun must aim so that, whether the target kangaroo is stationary or mobile, it will be hit in the head, neck or chest by the centre of the pattern."

I'm not sure which point you're arguing here.

That it somehow magically imbues every kangaroo shooter with Chuck Norris levels of accuracy?

One has little to do with the other when comparing hunting and roos culling.

A mate used to shoot for the chillers. He was telling me on Friday night that he loads ammo for his .223 twice a year, 2'000 rounds at a time and his records show the difference between shots fired and carcasses on hooks in the mobile cool room are about 1%. In fact he takes misses so seriously than any case from a missed shot is placed back in the ammo box upside down and that case closely inspected before being used again.

They're require to head shoot and are blessed with having a target that's both stupid enough to sit and watch the vehicle from under 200y and on private property at least fairly used to the farmers vehicles getting about. As previously stated they shoot from a rest in a vehicle, very different to hunting easily spooked game like deer on foot where shots are often taken standing and game are sometimes moving, raking shots change the game again and the issue of trophy heads also prevents head shots.

Thing is you need to be prepared for the biggest animal you're likely to come across. .270 may be the minimum cartridge sir sambar in Vic but a really big stag may require more gun than a spiker and I know at least two blokes who've lost good stags with a .270 and a 30-06. Both experienced deer guys and both have since gone to a magnum, .300WSM for one and .338WM for the other but you've still got to make your shots count and the safest option is the largest target which is to hit the boiler room with enough bullet to do the damage required.

A mate in the NT said when choosing a gun for up there he looks at caliber first, then bullet weight then velocity last because on a big animal it's better to have a heavy bullet blow a big hole right through than have a light bullet explode before reaching the vitals.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 20 Oct 2016, 9:25 am

Skadoo wrote:I'm not sure which point you're arguing here.

My post was specifically referring to a previous post essentially stating that head shots are not necessary so we can ignore them.
If you are shooting 'roos then "just head-shoot everything" is not an option, it's a requirement.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics