Sellier and Bellot 308 147gr fmj AMMO

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Sellier and Bellot 308 147gr fmj AMMO

Post by OODAH » 03 Nov 2016, 8:15 am

SELLIER & BELLOT
308WIN, 147GR
FMJ AMMUNITION
SPECIAL
$19.90 /PER 20
$99.50 /PER 100
$199 /PER 200

This stuff is cheap, right? But is it any good?

Looking for ammo just to put down the barrel of my hunting rifle. I need to sight it in and also have some friends come to the range to try the larger calibre.

Would this be ok used as a hunting round?
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Sellier and Bellot 308 147gr fmj AMMO

Post by AusTac » 03 Nov 2016, 8:30 am

Geeez thats cheap! I don't have any experience with it, i just bought some ppu 308 150 gn soft points and tried the sight in.. won't buy it again
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by happyhunter » 03 Nov 2016, 9:08 am

AusTac wrote:Geeez thats cheap! I don't have any experience with it, i just bought some ppu 308 150 gn soft points and tried the sight in.. won't buy it again

Fairdinkum? My Abolt loves the 150gr PPU.

I rekon it's great. Give a crack and see how it groups. I suspect it's very smilar to M80 Ball. Make the bore nice and dirty too :D

I also use S&B brass for the 222 rem. Great stuff, dirt cheap.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Mongrel » 03 Nov 2016, 11:24 am

OODAH wrote:SELLIER & BELLOT
308WIN, 147GR
FMJ AMMUNITION
SPECIAL
$19.90 /PER 20
$99.50 /PER 100
$199 /PER 200

Looking for ammo just to put down the barrel of my hunting rifle. I need to sight it in and also have some friends come to the range to try the larger calibre.

i bought a box and when i took it to the range, FMJ arent allowed at my local ssaa range, but when i went to Belmont SSAA they allowed it, just be sure before you buy to many.

p.s. they shot fine out of my howa 308, but mine prefers 168gn.
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by OODAH » 03 Nov 2016, 11:46 am

Mongrel wrote:
i bought a box and when i took it to the range, FMJ arent allowed at my local ssaa range, but when i went to Belmont SSAA they allowed it, just be sure before you buy to many.

What barrel length is your Howa 308 if you don't mind me asking?
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 03 Nov 2016, 12:53 pm

OODAH wrote:

Depends what you are hunting. Small stuff like foxes, yes. Anything bigger probably not.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by OODAH » 03 Nov 2016, 1:02 pm

happyhunter wrote:
OODAH wrote:

Depends what you are hunting. Small stuff like foxes, yes. Anything bigger probably not.

Is this because its a FMJ and doesn't expand (as much) on impact right?
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 03 Nov 2016, 1:11 pm

OODAH wrote:
happyhunter wrote:
OODAH wrote:

Is this because its a FMJ and doesn't expand (as much) on impact right?

yeah, that's the common theory, but what actually happens is they tumble on impact and break at the canulare, the copper jacket separates from the lead core causing a massive wound channel, but you can't always count on that.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bladeracer » 03 Nov 2016, 2:55 pm

OODAH wrote:SELLIER & BELLOT
308WIN, 147GR
FMJ AMMUNITION
SPECIAL
$19.90 /PER 20
$99.50 /PER 100
$199 /PER 200

Definitely cheap, I pay 75c apiece just for S&B brass.
It's not hunting ammo, but it's a big bullet so it should kill small beasts fairly cleanly. I shot lots of rabbits, foxes and cats with 6.5x55mm FMJ with zero problems.
You can try filing the points off and see if accuracy suffers, or at that price you could pull the FMJ's and put some hunting bullets in them instead.
You need to sight in with the ammo you're going to use for hunting. Waste of time zeroing with the FMJ if you then use a different bullet in the field. For close range on pigs you can even pull the FMJ's and reseat them backwards, I did this with the 6.5x55mm as well, but simply filing the points off and drilling a hole in the point works better.
Last edited by bladeracer on 03 Nov 2016, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mongrel » 03 Nov 2016, 5:11 pm

OODAH wrote:
Mongrel wrote:

What barrel length is your Howa 308 if you don't mind me asking?

mine is a 20" fluted barrel
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by nightforcenxs » 03 Nov 2016, 8:07 pm

used these in my tikka t3 super varmint to run it in had no problems with them and they grouped fine aswell
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by OODAH » 04 Nov 2016, 8:25 am

Yeah cheers guys. Bought a new Howa 308 20" for hunting its my first centre fire so I'm interested in learning how to break it in, plus I need to sight in the new scope. I'll use the cheap stuff to get all this done then fine tune it to what i'll be using in the field.
Last edited by OODAH on 04 Nov 2016, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 04 Nov 2016, 9:03 am

OODAH wrote:Yeah cheers guys. Bought a new Howa 308 20" for hunting its my first centre fire so I'm interested in learning how to break it in, plus I need to sight in the new scope. I'll use the cheap stuff to get all this done then fine tune it to what i'll be using in the field. Might even look into doing what bladeracer said and see how that goes with a file and drill.

Drilling and filing your ammo is just a dumb idea for reasons that are so obvious I won't even mention them.

I won't go into the breaking in debate as it's been done to death, but if you are going hunting use hunting ammo suitable for the hunting you will be doing. here's a tip. Buy a few types of ammo, cheap is good. get 3 or 4 boxes of different weights of bullet between 150 to 180 grain. Use your S@B cheap stuff to get the shots on paper, then shoot a 3 shot group of from each box. Do it a few times to see which ammo groups the best. Once you establish the type of ammo your rifle shoots best, buy up on that and go use it to sight in.

If you are lucky, the Hows will shoot the cheap stuff well. If not, learn how to hand load. :D
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by OODAH » 04 Nov 2016, 9:27 am

Yeah cool thanks for tip happyhunter. In the long run I plan to do hand loads but atm, time and space just doesn't allow and I don't know enough to start messing with it either. Any recommendations on hunting ammo to try?
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 04 Nov 2016, 11:17 am

OODAH wrote:Yeah cool thanks for tip happyhunter. In the long run I plan to do hand loads but atm, time and space just doesn't allow and I don't know enough to start messing with it either. Any recommendations on hunting ammo to try?

Your Howa has a short barrel and fast twist rate so is designed to shoot long/heavier projectles. Other than that, something in the 150 to 180 grain range of pointed soft points for shooting stuff like goats or pigs. Highland, PPU, federal, S&B all make cheaper price hunting ammo. You can get the S&B stuff in a range of projectiles for around 20 bucks a box of 20.

I have a Browning in 308 Winchester and it shoots most brands of 180 grain ammo well, and hand loaded 180 grain sierra pro hunters the best. Just buy a few boxes and see what happens. It takes a bit of time but worth the effort. If the gun shoots cheap ammo well your in luck and those Howas have a rep for shooting most ammo well.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bladeracer » 04 Nov 2016, 1:45 pm

happyhunter wrote:Drilling and filing your ammo is just a dumb idea for reasons that are so obvious I won't even mention them.

By not even mentioning them do you simply mean you can't think of any legitimate reasons?

Lots and lots of people have been doing it since jacketed ammo was invented, but I'm guessing you never tried it?
As I said, nowadays we have such a massive source of quality bullets, replacing the bullet would be the better way to go - but don't discount the old ways, they do still work.
In the early '80's the FMJ miltary was the only ammo on the market for the 6.5x55mm. I'd be surprised if anybody that owned one back then didn't at least try modifying their bullets to get better terminal ballistics.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 04 Nov 2016, 2:08 pm

bladeracer wrote:
happyhunter wrote:Drilling and filing your ammo is just a dumb idea for reasons that are so obvious I won't even mention them.

By not even mentioning them do you simply mean you can't think of any legitimate reasons?

Lots and lots of people have been doing it since jacketed ammo was invented, but I'm guessing you never tried it?
As I said, nowadays we have such a massive source of quality bullets, replacing the bullet would be the better way to go - but don't discount the old ways, they do still work.
In the early '80's the FMJ miltary was the only ammo on the market for the 6.5x55mm. I'd be surprised if anybody that owned one back then didn't at least try modifying their bullets to get better terminal ballistics.

Were you even born in the 80s? "..I'd be surprised.. if anybody didn't.." have you actually done anything yourself?. I have, to 40 grain 22 magnum projectiles when I was a kid, trying to make segmented hollow points.

Anyway, no need these days, and all it does is remove an inconsistent amount of material and means the projectiles will be of uneven mass producing inconsistent results.

nowadays we have such a massive source of quality bullets, replacing the bullet would be the better way to go

You just answered your own question, and like I said, no need to ruin a perfectly good projectile.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bladeracer » 04 Nov 2016, 2:39 pm

happyhunter wrote:Were you even born in the 80s? "..I'd be surprised.. if anybody didn't.." have you actually done anything yourself?. I have, to 40 grain 22 magnum projectiles when I was a kid, trying to make segmented hollow points.

Anyway, no need these days, and all it does is remove an inconsistent amount of material and means the projectiles will be of uneven mass producing inconsistent results.

nowadays we have such a massive source of quality bullets, replacing the bullet would be the better way to go

You just answered your own question, and like I said, no need to ruin a perfectly good projectile.

I have no idea what your first comments mean so I'll ignore those.

I just used the JHP .22WMR ammo, it came with hollow points :-)
So what happened to your obvious reasons for it being a dumb idea?
There are better alternatives nowadays...as I mentioned when I made the suggestion.
It is very easy to remove a consistent amount of material without having to use your brain too much, and it doesn't ruin the bullet. I rarely saw any measurable loss in accuracy from any modified FMJ I tried.
Did your modified WMR bullets start patterning instead of grouping?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 04 Nov 2016, 5:53 pm

Correct me if I'm not correct BUT I've always been under the impression that FMJ (not solids) was illegal for hunting. :allegedly:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Nov 2016, 6:20 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Correct me if I'm not correct BUT I've always been under the impression that FMJ (not solids) was illegal for hunting. :allegedly:

Never heard of that before.
I can't recall seeing anything about what type of bullet you're allowed to hunt with, except maybe in the Code of Practice for 'roo shooting?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by OODAH » 05 Nov 2016, 10:18 am

RoginaJack wrote:Correct me if I'm not correct BUT I've always been under the impression that FMJ (not solids) was illegal for hunting. :allegedly:

I can't seem to see anything about it?
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by chacka » 18 Nov 2016, 3:34 pm

Not illegal.

Widely frowned upon or considered unethical though.
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by southeast varmiter » 20 Nov 2016, 11:07 am

chacka wrote:

Not illegal.

Really?
Some of the most devastating wounds created are with FMJ. They tumblle on entry and create dinner plate sized holes out the back.
Best results I had were with 7.62x39 FMJ out of SKS on pigs.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 20 Nov 2016, 8:17 pm

"most devastating wounds' - Compared to what? Try hitting a pig with a .303 using SP rounds and see. :)
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Nov 2016, 7:33 pm

chacka wrote:

Not illegal.

+1
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Nov 2016, 9:14 pm

chacka wrote:Not illegal.

The myths that originated with The Hague Convention have a lot to answer for :-)

This statement is far too general, you should be saying that it is frowned upon to use an inappropriate bullet for the circumstances.
All bullets operate best within their specific envelope, including FMJ's.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Nov 2016, 4:43 am

If you need to shoot animals with a FMJ shoot them in the head, they won't go anywhere then but personally I prefer a projectile designed for hunting purposes that kills humanely and reliably.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics