Shotgun ammo

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Shotgun ammo

Post by pete1 » 16 Dec 2016, 8:45 pm

So only use the shotgun occasionally and buy Winchester $15-16 a box of 25 but was wondering what other brands people use for pigs rabbits and rare fox if it gets close enough or just for fun.
Preferably a brand that's cheaper and shoots well.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Shotgun ammo

Post by happyhunter » 16 Dec 2016, 10:10 pm

I been using GB number 4s for whistling foxes for many years. They are the cheapest and work.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by brett1868 » 16 Dec 2016, 11:37 pm

I bought a heap of Bronze Wing No.8 and OOSG early last year on special, 1000 rounds of each and still working my way through it. Has been perfect so far and I'll buy more when stock runs low.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 17 Dec 2016, 10:43 am

The range of shotshells is amazing.Target ammo is cheap and does a number on parrots and rabbits but I use oosg buckshot when hunting in case a pig runs out.I have swept above the neck line on kangaroos when trying to push them towards the ambush guys and if one pellet hits them they dont get up and I can still sell the skin
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 17 Dec 2016, 10:59 am

I have a mate from Harvey who is ridiculous with a trap gun.His dad bought him a super trap gun when he was 16 and he did comp with it.True story we are ghosting around a swamp south of Yarloop and for some reason I looked backwards,old military habits die hard and a rabbit shot out from the swamp grass into the sand track behind us .He has the trap gun open on his shoulder and I point and he snaps it shut and lets one go behind him and patterns this rabbit at about 40 metres.Another time we both had got a heap of ducks but a pair were flying so far away they were specks.I always had 2 belt of shotshells and knew exactly where everything was,He called for an oosg snapped it in and dropped a duck.Hit it in the neck with one pellet.He was a freaky shotgunner.I had the old Greener single,It was my first firearm and I loved greening Australia.I seen 2 of them in my LGS the other day.If I was not getting an Adler lever gun I would get one again.Probably will anyway
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Dec 2016, 5:52 pm

they all work so buy whatever floats ya boat
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by pete1 » 17 Dec 2016, 5:53 pm

ill have to get some of these GB shells. anyone know what it works out to reload shotgun shells, I dont shoot enough shotgun but out of curiosity really.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 17 Dec 2016, 6:07 pm

cheap as if you have the pellet maker too
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Dec 2016, 6:40 pm

pete1 wrote:ill have to get some of these GB shells. anyone know what it works out to reload shotgun shells, I dont shoot enough shotgun but out of curiosity really.

It was cheaper to buy the ammo loaded at one point (when the aus dollar was good) not it may be much a muchness but lead ain't cheap so I reckon it would still work out cheaper to buy it if you have to buy the press and all the other bits and pieces.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 17 Dec 2016, 9:55 pm

pete1 wrote:ill have to get some of these GB shells. anyone know what it works out to reload shotgun shells, I dont shoot enough shotgun but out of curiosity really.

For birdshot it's not worth it.
Buy 250rds at a time.
Dump the shot out of some and load those with buck or slugs if you need some. You can cast buck and slugs cheaper than buying them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by alby » 19 Dec 2016, 11:56 am

Local rural store here sells ammo (nearest actual GS about 1 hour away). Eley alpha max game rounds are $12.50 for 25. They seem to pattern well. Haven't had the opportunity as yet to try them out on actual game though.
alby
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics