223 ammo prices

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

223 ammo prices

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Dec 2016, 7:48 pm

I just had a bit of a look at the prices for 223 Fed ammo and fook me dead it ain't cheap - up to $45 for some of it and if you go Lapua it's up around $140 for 50! :shock:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: 223 ammo prices

Post by Sam45 » 18 Dec 2016, 8:15 pm

Cheap up here in QLD mate. Aussie outback ammo. It's $13.99 for 20 with Blitzkings in 55gr The Federal is half the price of what your paying. Starts at about $20 for 20 and goes up from there :thumbsup:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by albat » 18 Dec 2016, 8:21 pm

Saw some yesterday outback ammo at 13 bucks something goes alright in the howas
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Dec 2016, 11:10 pm

This was at HPGS - I couldn't believe the prices - if memory serves me correctly it was the Fed Premium range, not sure it's worth that sort of $$ and the Lapua Senar stuff was just bloody ridiculous price, can't see that one flying off the shelves anytime soon at that sort of price.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by happyhunter » 19 Dec 2016, 5:51 am

Must be their new line, Federal Price-Shok. haha..Always been a big difference in price between the basic power shok and premo tipped stuff.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Dec 2016, 6:39 am

happyhunter wrote:Must be their new line, Federal Price-Shok. haha..Always been a big difference in price between the basic power shok and premo tipped stuff.

They must be magic projectiles they are stuffing in em :D way overpriced IMHO especially when you can buy other offerings for a reasonable price that can do the same sort of thing anyway.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Supaduke » 19 Dec 2016, 7:12 am

Gun works in Melbourne have PMC fmj for $99/200. Great plinking round and decent brass for reloading. I really couldn't bring myself to pay more than a dollar a round for .223. For that sort of money I would rather shoot something larger. But there are guys with money to burn and insist on getting the best you can buy. I would hope the performance matches the premium price tag. I sort of get a cringe when I see guys at the range shooting .338LM at 100m @$5 a round. No doubt it's fun as hell but sheesh that's expensive plinking.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Dec 2016, 8:26 am

Supaduke wrote:Gun works in Melbourne have PMC fmj for $99/200. Great plinking round and decent brass for reloading. I really couldn't bring myself to pay more than a dollar a round for .223. For that sort of money I would rather shoot something larger. But there are guys with money to burn and insist on getting the best you can buy. I would hope the performance matches the premium price tag. I sort of get a cringe when I see guys at the range shooting .338LM at 100m @$5 a round. No doubt it's fun as hell but sheesh that's expensive plinking.

I'm the same mate, don't see the sense in spending that sort of money when you can do the same thing cheaper anyway. As for the 338lap, no diff to any other cal you use, to me they are all the same just bigger or smaller - I really don't get off on its a big cal so it's more fun or exciting to use, used plenty of the bigger stuff and it doesn't do s**t for me to be honest, I'd rather see what happens down the business end more than get belted and ears ringing and paying through the nose to do it.

The 50 cal is fun to use but sure as s**t don't want one, completely useless to me to own as it ain't designed for hunting purposes and way over priced to shoot regularly (good for a bit of fun and wow factor for those that have never used one) but it grows old quickly I can tell ya. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by happyhunter » 19 Dec 2016, 9:22 am

I bought a stack of 180 grain Federal power shock for the 308 when it was 20 bucks a box. They just sit in storage for the day I can't be bugged hand loading. last I checked the same ammo was $32 a box of 20.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Dec 2016, 9:32 am

happyhunter wrote:I bought a stack of 180 grain Federal power shock for the 308 when it was 20 bucks a box. They just sit in storage for the day I can't be bugged hand loading. last I checked the same ammo was $32 a box of 20.

I had a look at the price of some of the 308 ammo too as I'm using it now and FMD some of the 150gn stuff was like $70+ FFS who in their right mind would pay that? Not f***ing me I can tell ya that much, I'll rather buy a set of dies and some projies and start banging em out for a lot less!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Dec 2016, 5:52 pm

I haven't bought a box of factory for 25 or 30 years. Except for the brass for the 223. But then I don't shoot a lot off. Once I realised how cheap it was to reload that was the end of the factory stuff. And as we all know, shoots better.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Dec 2016, 6:40 pm

You guys that shoot factory ammo, you do save your brass don't you?
In which case you can sell it to recoup some of the cost.
Please don't tell me you leave it littering the bush.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by colsta » 19 Dec 2016, 7:20 pm

http://www.safarifirearms.com.au/ try them they had 223 ammo on special
Savage 22lr
tikka t3 223
rossi puma lever action 45
colsta
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Sam45 » 19 Dec 2016, 7:47 pm

bladeracer wrote:You guys that shoot factory ammo, you do save your brass don't you?

I have not started to reload, now lets just say I have over 2000 .223 shells and about 350 odd .308 and about 50 .270. Just waiting till the new year to buy a reloading set up :thumbsup:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Dec 2016, 7:56 pm

bladeracer wrote:You guys that shoot factory ammo, you do save your brass don't you?

That's the only reason I ever buy factory ammo and the fact I don't usually have dies for them straight away so it kills two birds with the one stone. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Dec 2016, 9:50 pm

Sam45 wrote:

I have not started to reload, now lets just say I have over 2000 .223 shells and about 350 odd .308 and about 50 .270. Just waiting till the new year to buy a reloading set up :thumbsup:

Can I have some of the 223 brass at a good price?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 19 Dec 2016, 10:19 pm

Bought some Outback 223 at Bankstown the other week $740 I think it was for 900 rounds and still got 16kg of 223 to reload when
I get time. lol
Oldbloke you have taken a look at this site I hope
http://www.australianoncefired.net/Bulk%20Prices.html
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 19 Dec 2016, 11:14 pm

pomemax wrote:Bought some Outback 223 at Bankstown the other week $740 I think it was for 900 rounds and still got 16kg of 223 to reload when
I get time. lol
Oldbloke you have taken a look at this site I hope
http://www.australianoncefired.net/Bulk%20Prices.html

My buddy Wayne, the bulk 223 from him is pretty good but you do get the odd military crimped case. Not a big deal as I throw them to the side and when I have a pile I'll run them through the swager to remove the crimp.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 19 Dec 2016, 11:22 pm

The 50 cal is fun to use but sure as s**t don't want one, completely useless to me to own as it ain't designed for hunting purposes and way over priced to shoot regularly (good for a bit of fun and wow factor for those that have never used one) but it grows old quickly I can tell ya.

798gr Hollow Point on giant bunnies is a sight to behold :) As for it not being a hunting round I beg to differ, perfect for hunting planes, trucks and Taliban :lol:
Back to the .223 ammo, I've found that the little Howa Mini Action loves the OSA 55gr blister packs that HPGS sells.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Pythonkeeper » 20 Dec 2016, 5:46 pm

Aussie Outback $139 for a box of 200.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Garth » 09 Jan 2017, 10:17 pm

I my idea was reload cheaper but shoot more ammo than before .only cause I know I can reload more I find it relaxing reloading
Garth
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 09 Jan 2017, 11:45 pm

I enjoyed watching my protege use my components and my mates press to load .243 bullets while I drank beer and supervised.I wont touch the press if I have had 1 beer but could help with his questions.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Lokvo » 17 Feb 2017, 12:47 pm

Just wanted to throw this bit of info out there to see what the community think; my LGS 223 ammo prices are as follows (20 round boxes); $25 for PPU 55GR sp, $30 for Remington 55GR psp & $32 ish for federal 55GR v shoks. and other brands around that price or even dearer. Is this pretty much the going rates around the rest of Oz? or am I getting ripped and should I start reloading immediately. That being said, I'd have to get my reloading stuff from the same LGS (There's only one in town) so I don't know how much that'll cost. Ordering online and getting it delivered is a no go. I've tried but no courier/delivery will do that all the way to where I'm from in regional QLD.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 17 Feb 2017, 1:17 pm

I can't say about the other ammo, but $25 for .223/ppu is very expensive. I can get ppu .308 for less than that.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Lokvo » 17 Feb 2017, 3:01 pm

Yep and my dealer referred to it as the 'cheap' stuff. Reloading may have to become necessary very shortly.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Hangfire » 17 Feb 2017, 3:04 pm

Talk to your LGS about a bulk order he might drop the price if you get 1000 rounds? It is harder if your remote.
Hangfire
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Feb 2017, 4:01 pm

Lokvo wrote:Just wanted to throw this bit of info out there to see what the community think; my LGS 223 ammo prices are as follows (20 round boxes); $25 for PPU 55GR sp, $30 for Remington 55GR psp & $32 ish for federal 55GR v shoks. and other brands around that price or even dearer. Is this pretty much the going rates around the rest of Oz? or am I getting ripped and should I start reloading immediately. That being said, I'd have to get my reloading stuff from the same LGS (There's only one in town) so I don't know how much that'll cost. Ordering online and getting it delivered is a no go. I've tried but no courier/delivery will do that all the way to where I'm from in regional QLD.

Which probably explains why your dealer has to charge more for it...
My view is that the price of ammo, powder and primers is pretty much irrelevant if I want to have a dealer making enough money to stay in business a reasonable distance from me. If my locals go out of business then I'm going to have to make four-hour round trips to Melbourne every time I need a box of ammo or to pick up a new firearm.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lokvo » 17 Feb 2017, 5:01 pm

Yeah that is a good point bladeracer. Still a tough pill to swallow though when compared to the prices fellow shooters pay in luckier places. Can only sigh and dream.
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 17 Feb 2017, 5:28 pm

Or you could smile and reload....
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Feb 2017, 5:37 pm

Lokvo wrote:Yeah that is a good point bladeracer. Still a tough pill to swallow though when compared to the prices fellow shooters pay in luckier places. Can only sigh and dream.

I pay a premium for my ammo, powder and primers, but he looks after me on firearms. Usually cheaper than ordering them elsewhere and paying postage to get them here.

It's a very small price to pay for the absolute dream of living in the country :-)
Last edited by bladeracer on 18 Feb 2017, 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics