223 ammo prices

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: 223 ammo prices

Post by brett1868 » 19 Dec 2016, 11:22 pm

The 50 cal is fun to use but sure as s**t don't want one, completely useless to me to own as it ain't designed for hunting purposes and way over priced to shoot regularly (good for a bit of fun and wow factor for those that have never used one) but it grows old quickly I can tell ya.

798gr Hollow Point on giant bunnies is a sight to behold :) As for it not being a hunting round I beg to differ, perfect for hunting planes, trucks and Taliban :lol:
Back to the .223 ammo, I've found that the little Howa Mini Action loves the OSA 55gr blister packs that HPGS sells.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Pythonkeeper » 20 Dec 2016, 5:46 pm

Aussie Outback $139 for a box of 200.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Garth » 09 Jan 2017, 10:17 pm

I my idea was reload cheaper but shoot more ammo than before .only cause I know I can reload more I find it relaxing reloading
Garth
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 09 Jan 2017, 11:45 pm

I enjoyed watching my protege use my components and my mates press to load .243 bullets while I drank beer and supervised.I wont touch the press if I have had 1 beer but could help with his questions.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Lokvo » 17 Feb 2017, 12:47 pm

Just wanted to throw this bit of info out there to see what the community think; my LGS 223 ammo prices are as follows (20 round boxes); $25 for PPU 55GR sp, $30 for Remington 55GR psp & $32 ish for federal 55GR v shoks. and other brands around that price or even dearer. Is this pretty much the going rates around the rest of Oz? or am I getting ripped and should I start reloading immediately. That being said, I'd have to get my reloading stuff from the same LGS (There's only one in town) so I don't know how much that'll cost. Ordering online and getting it delivered is a no go. I've tried but no courier/delivery will do that all the way to where I'm from in regional QLD.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 17 Feb 2017, 1:17 pm

I can't say about the other ammo, but $25 for .223/ppu is very expensive. I can get ppu .308 for less than that.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Lokvo » 17 Feb 2017, 3:01 pm

Yep and my dealer referred to it as the 'cheap' stuff. Reloading may have to become necessary very shortly.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Hangfire » 17 Feb 2017, 3:04 pm

Talk to your LGS about a bulk order he might drop the price if you get 1000 rounds? It is harder if your remote.
Hangfire
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Feb 2017, 4:01 pm

Lokvo wrote:Just wanted to throw this bit of info out there to see what the community think; my LGS 223 ammo prices are as follows (20 round boxes); $25 for PPU 55GR sp, $30 for Remington 55GR psp & $32 ish for federal 55GR v shoks. and other brands around that price or even dearer. Is this pretty much the going rates around the rest of Oz? or am I getting ripped and should I start reloading immediately. That being said, I'd have to get my reloading stuff from the same LGS (There's only one in town) so I don't know how much that'll cost. Ordering online and getting it delivered is a no go. I've tried but no courier/delivery will do that all the way to where I'm from in regional QLD.

Which probably explains why your dealer has to charge more for it...
My view is that the price of ammo, powder and primers is pretty much irrelevant if I want to have a dealer making enough money to stay in business a reasonable distance from me. If my locals go out of business then I'm going to have to make four-hour round trips to Melbourne every time I need a box of ammo or to pick up a new firearm.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lokvo » 17 Feb 2017, 5:01 pm

Yeah that is a good point bladeracer. Still a tough pill to swallow though when compared to the prices fellow shooters pay in luckier places. Can only sigh and dream.
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 17 Feb 2017, 5:28 pm

Or you could smile and reload....
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Feb 2017, 5:37 pm

Lokvo wrote:Yeah that is a good point bladeracer. Still a tough pill to swallow though when compared to the prices fellow shooters pay in luckier places. Can only sigh and dream.

I pay a premium for my ammo, powder and primers, but he looks after me on firearms. Usually cheaper than ordering them elsewhere and paying postage to get them here.

It's a very small price to pay for the absolute dream of living in the country :-)
Last edited by bladeracer on 18 Feb 2017, 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 18 Feb 2017, 7:42 am

There is one immutable rule in shooting.
If you see a bargain in ammunition or reloading components the rule is.... buy it.
The price on all this stuff only ever goes in one direction... UP.
If you do any amount of shooting it's better than money in the bank.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Lokvo » 18 Feb 2017, 8:16 am

bladeracer wrote:
Lokvo wrote:Yeah that is a good point bladeracer. Still a tough pill to swallow though when compared to the prices fellow shooters pay in luckier places. Can only sigh and dream.

I pay a premium for my ammo, powder and primers, but he looks after me on firearms. Usually cheaper than ordering them elsewhere and paying postage to get them here.

It's a very small price to pay for the absolute dream of living in the country :-)

Your LGS bloke sounds like an upstanding fella :) unfortunately my guy is on the other end of the scale. Normal cz or brno 22 selling for 3k used on the shelf. He's a lovely fellow to have a chat with though.
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 18 Feb 2017, 9:48 am

Lokvo wrote:Your LGS bloke sounds like an upstanding fella :) unfortunately my guy is on the other end of the scale. Normal cz or brno 22 selling for 3k used on the shelf. He's a lovely fellow to have a chat with though.

Those prices sound crazy, unless the rifles are special in some way?
He just _gave_ me a box of Sellier & Bellot SB Standard .22LR to try in my Ruger. I wanted a brick because it's pretty cheap ($65 I think he said), but he insisted I try it before lashing out on 500rds :-)
Finally got some of the CCI Copper-22's to try as well.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Feb 2017, 10:08 am

Pythonkeeper wrote:Aussie Outback $139 for a box of 200.

69c per round is ok but still way more than I pay for rolling my own - the last lot were costing me around 28c per round for the 223 and I think the 222 was around 22c per round so cheap enough and economical to shoot often and the 22/250 was 34c to reload.

Generally the most expensive component is the projectile, keep to the basic lead tip job and the price is reasonable then, go the balistic tipped jobs or other fancy projectiles and the price seems to job substantially and you can save more if you buy stuff in bulk like powder, primers and projies, that's how you keep the costs right down as a rule. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Feb 2017, 8:14 pm

bladeracer wrote:You guys that shoot factory ammo, you do save your brass don't you?
In which case you can sell it to recoup some of the cost.
Please don't tell me you leave it littering the bush.

FMD. Save the bush, reload.

The trick is getting super cheap projectiles or casting. Using super roo and hornady projectiles I picked up cheap I can load the 223 for between 23 & 33 cents per round. :thumbsup:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Feb 2017, 9:13 pm

Oldbloke wrote:The trick is getting super cheap projectiles or casting. Using super roo and hornady projectiles I picked up cheap I can load the 223 for between 23 & 33 cents per round. :thumbsup:

Exactly. I've been doing a lot of .22LR shooting the last few weeks and some of the ammo is 70c a piece!
My local is doing me bricks of Eley Edge for $200, 40c a shot even at that price.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 19 Feb 2017, 12:10 am

why would cost come in to loading ? AFAIC there is only 2 reasons to load .

with what it cost to set up properly for loading you can buy a s**t load of cheap ammo
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Feb 2017, 12:39 am

deye243 wrote:why would cost come in to loading ? AFAIC there is only 2 reasons to load .

with what it cost to set up properly for loading you can buy a s**t load of cheap ammo

Any number of reasons.
Some people can't afford to be buying large amounts of centrefire ammo but still want to enjoy shooting, others are shooting as a business and want to monitor and control costs. For me it's just a matter of wanting to save money so I can buy more rifles :-)

The cost of setting up to reload is only as expensive as you choose to make it.
A Lee Loader you can be set up for under $100.
You can certainly set up a press system for under $500 including dies and basic accessories.

Since 1990, when I bought a single box of 9mm, I've bought a grand total of twenty rounds of centrefire ammo, and I don't expect to ever buy any more. I prefer to start with fresh brass.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 19 Feb 2017, 12:55 am

bladeracer wrote:
deye243 wrote:why would cost come in to loading ? AFAIC there is only 2 reasons to load .

Any number of reasons.
Some people can't afford to be buying large amounts of centrefire ammo but still want to enjoy shooting, others are shooting as a business and want to monitor and control costs. For me it's just a matter of wanting to save money so I can buy more rifles :-)

The cost of setting up to reload is only as expensive as you choose to make it.
A Lee Loader you can be set up for under $100.
You can certainly set up a press system for under $500 including dies and basic accessories.

Since 1990, when I bought a single box of 9mm, I've bought a grand total of twenty rounds of centrefire ammo, and I don't expect to ever buy any more. I prefer to start with fresh brass.

that's about the same here
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Feb 2017, 7:40 am

To me reloading was a natural progression, the cost side of things wasn't a factor in starting to reload, I wanted the rifle too shoot better and I knew reloading was the only real option back in the day so that's how I came to start reloading, it wasn't until later that I realised it was cheaper to make my own ammo (not taking into account the initial set up costs). Whilst I don't do a lot of reloading these days (I only hunt now) which is fine by me as I find it a bit boring in some ways these days.

I like the fact I have plenty of components for the diff cals so I've effectively locked in the cost to around the 1990's so shooting is quite cheap for me and if I need new reloading equipment I generally look at the 2nd hand market first as I can save money there too and pick up some good bargains and if need be I can buy new if I have too.

I don't make any fancy ammo, I just stuff em and shoot em type thing which also keeps the costs and time down which suits what I want to achieve.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 19 Feb 2017, 12:07 pm

bigfellascott wrote:To me reloading was a natural progression, the cost side of things wasn't a factor in starting to reload, I wanted the rifle too shoot better and I knew reloading was the only real option back in the day so that's how I came to start reloading, it wasn't until later that I realised it was cheaper to make my own ammo (not taking into account the initial set up costs). Whilst I don't do a lot of reloading these days (I only hunt now) which is fine by me as I find it a bit boring in some ways these days.

I like the fact I have plenty of components for the diff cals so I've effectively locked in the cost to around the 1990's so shooting is quite cheap for me and if I need new reloading equipment I generally look at the 2nd hand market first as I can save money there too and pick up some good bargains and if need be I can buy new if I have too.

I don't make any fancy ammo, I just stuff em and shoot em type thing which also keeps the costs and time down which suits what I want to achieve.

Cost wasn't a factor when I started either. I went into town every month to stock up on rimfire and shotgun ammo at Elders anyway and they kept Winchester .222 on the shelf for the fox shooters.
I've always been an experimenter and simply didn't see any reason to buy ammo made by somebody else rather than making my own to suit what I wanted to use it for. And I started with a Lee Loader so start up cost was negligible. Back then it was pretty easy to tune a load to a rifle and get more accuracy than factory ammo provided, nowadays I think it's much harder to improve on the factory offerings. Now if you bought a modern bolt rifle and some factory ammo and couldn't get sub-MoA off the bench straight away you'd have to wonder if there's a problem somewhere.

I love experimenting with different bullets and velocities, so my reloading will be in small batches for testing. But eventually I'll settle on some loads I particularly like. From that point I'll make larger batches of those loads and just keep replenishing what I shoot.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 19 Feb 2017, 12:12 pm

We have settled on one 80g load for our .243s it makes things simple as there are 3 of us
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 19 Feb 2017, 1:51 pm

duncan61 wrote:We have settled on one 80g load for our .243s it makes things simple as there are 3 of us

That's ideal if the same load shoots equally well in all the rifles.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Feb 2017, 6:05 pm

Lol. Just watching the news. I want to go to Mosul and pick up all of the used brass. Lol.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 20 Feb 2017, 10:41 pm

Visited the Oklahoma City Gunclub last year the day after they had hosted a service rifle shoot. You would have needed a bobcat to pick up all the brass left behind.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Lokvo » 21 Feb 2017, 7:36 am

I'm saving all the brass casings from my spent factory ammo now (though not setup for reloading yet) just for down the road when I possibly might. Some people mentioning the lee hand press/loader here, did any of you that have this regret the buy after a while and realize you perhaps should've bought the standard press instead? I'm at a cross roads lol.
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 21 Feb 2017, 8:31 am

Lokvo, I'd recommend saving a few extra sheckles and buy the Lee Challenger kit. Western firearms are selling them at the moment for $239. Setting up for reloading don't get much cheaper than that. A set of dies for @ $50 and you are good to go.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Lokvo » 21 Feb 2017, 8:37 am

Thanks gamerancher, I'll definitely check out the lee challenger kit. That's an awesome price!
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics