Largest legal calibre here in Aus?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: Largest legal calibre here in Aus?

Post by rodgeydodge » 22 Mar 2017, 12:37 am

There are plenty of big calibre rifles available in Australia.
God knows why anyone would want a 50BMG rifle - the weight and cost are both prohibitive and the ammo costs a bomb.
Some big calibres available include 375 Holland and Holland, 458 Winchester Magnum, 470 Weatherby Magnum (if you like pain), 416 Rigby and so on.
None are of any use for the hunter in Australia, unless you come across Tyrannosaurus Pig.
Maybe the 375 and the 458 for Buffalo in NT.
The other problem you will have is getting permission to use them at a registered range. I know the 338 Lapua can't be used on any range I am aware of.
SSAA has a "Big Game" match and guys bring big stuff to that - 470 Nitro plus, so maybe there.
A 30 calibre rifle will be an accurate shoot and if used for hunting, will bring down anything you are likely to meet out there.
rodgeydodge
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Heckler303 » 23 Mar 2017, 4:23 pm

rodgeydodge wrote:God knows why anyone would want a 50BMG rifle - the weight and cost are both prohibitive and the ammo costs a bomb.

Owning a 'Fiddy cal' is like owning a lambo or a buggati. They have a big cult following as the 'cool' thing that every kid who has played COD knows about, and if you were to have one, you'd be the envy of all your mates.

If they aren't coppers. :thumbsup:
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 23 Mar 2017, 6:20 pm

rodgeydodge wrote: God knows why anyone would want a 50BMG rifle.....

Probably (he knows everything!) :P
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 23 Mar 2017, 9:12 pm

rodgeydodge wrote:There are plenty of big calibre rifles available in Australia.
God knows why anyone would want a 50BMG rifle - the weight and cost are both prohibitive and the ammo costs a bomb.
Some big calibres available include 375 Holland and Holland, 458 Winchester Magnum, 470 Weatherby Magnum (if you like pain), 416 Rigby and so on.
None are of any use for the hunter in Australia, unless you come across Tyrannosaurus Pig.
The other problem you will have is getting permission to use them at a registered range. I know the 338 Lapua can't be used on any range I am aware of.
SSAA has a "Big Game" match and guys bring big stuff to that - 470 Nitro plus, so maybe there.
A 30 calibre rifle will be an accurate shoot and if used for hunting, will bring down anything you are likely to meet out there.

If your god doesn't know why then refer him to me and I'll explain it to them :D

As a first post, to deride the caliber choices of others is never a good way to make a first impression. Maybe a few lines about what you shoot, how long you're been shooting and where your interests are would make for a better first post.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 23 Mar 2017, 11:28 pm

Brett this is your hobby and I am enjoying watching the progress.I would love to go to the N.T. and watch you belt an old buffalo bull at 1000m plus.Bugger that getting up close stuff.I am going to google the ballistics right now
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Cryptic » 24 Mar 2017, 12:06 am

bentaz wrote:
rodgeydodge wrote:There are plenty of big calibre rifles available in Australia.

Ive seen some pretty big rabbits, some of them were a fair way off too!

c006729309bf2c426c9336ab0db7edb0.jpg
c006729309bf2c426c9336ab0db7edb0.jpg (11.67 KiB) Viewed 12437 times
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 24 Mar 2017, 7:16 am

Gee, I dunno Brett, ol' mate rodneydodge sounds like he knows everything. We all should just sit back, stop typing and prepare to be "educated". :sarcasm:
By the way I know of a couple of ranges that do allow .338 Lapua.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by colinbentley » 11 Apr 2017, 9:21 am

I was at the Mildura range at Cardross on Monday, which is a SSAA range, and there was a shooter there with a 50mm.I was several benches away but even with ear protection the noise was horrendous. He was shooting 600 metres. he told me a round cost about $10......ouch !I guess if you're preparing for world war 3 then this is a perfect calibre. But the cost of ammo is a bit rich for my blood.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 11 Apr 2017, 9:33 am

colinbentley wrote:I was at the Mildura range at Cardross on Monday, which is a SSAA range, and there was a shooter there with a 50mm.I was several benches away but even with ear protection the noise was horrendous. He was shooting 600 metres. he told me a round cost about $10......ouch !I guess if you're preparing for world war 3 then this is a perfect calibre. But the cost of ammo is a bit rich for my blood.

Not 50mm, 50 caliber or 0.5".
50mm would have wheels on it ;-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 11 Apr 2017, 10:35 am

colinbentley wrote:I was at the Mildura range at Cardross on Monday, which is a SSAA range, and there was a shooter there with a 50mm.I was several benches away but even with ear protection the noise was horrendous. He was shooting 600 metres. he told me a round cost about $10......ouch !I guess if you're preparing for world war 3 then this is a perfect calibre. But the cost of ammo is a bit rich for my blood.

I was at the same range March 31 / April 1 for the FCSA competition, possibly it was either Paul or Luke you bumped into on Monday as they are locals. The target would have been at 600 yards as that's the distance used for the competitions. To the left of the backstop they sometimes hang pig shaped gong, with the right shot placement you can knock it flying with a 50. Even at 650yds the 798gr CE coppers I use are traveling at 2129fps with 8034ft-lbs of energy and take .82 sec to hit.
August 4-6 will be the LRSC Australian titles that'll have a FCSA 50BMG 600yd match on Saturday and an open caliber 600yd match on the Sunday. I believe there will be a contingent of Americans coming down to compete in the 50BMG event so I'll need to step up my game to beat them. If you can get there then make yourself known to me and I'll get you some shots from a 50. I'll be easy to spot, short, round with a gun so big it comes in a coffin sized case :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Apr 2017, 5:29 pm

I think less than 1% of shooters would have a use for .50 calibre rifle. But if they want to shoot at targets 600 yards away at $10 a shot good luck to them if that floats their boats. Not doing anyone any harm.
Personally not my cup of tea and way too costly for me. I'll stick to my casual hunting.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 11 Apr 2017, 8:07 pm

I used to have a Chevy C10 with a worked 454, thing did quaters around 11seconds if you could keep it straight, didn't NEED it but it was fun. I would own a .50 if I had a big property, I like things that make me smile, strange I know.
Bigjobss

Post by Chris » 03 May 2017, 4:29 pm

I though the new nato rang up grade Changes all that
Chris
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bigtravoz » 25 Sep 2017, 7:43 pm

There's way too much incorrect information in this thread. People need to look harder at the facts before posting. Maybe even look into your states laws. Most ranges are restricted to 8mm as the maximum caliber and around 4500 ftlbs of energy due to legislation however there are ranges out there (I believe Warracknabeal may be one) where a 50 cal is approved. This said however there are plenty of 50 Cals out there that have been obtained without the millions of dollars in legal bills mentioned by an earlier poster. There's actually larger calibers than 50 in black powder and muzzle loaders readily available for general Joe hunter to own for hunting.
Bigtravoz
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 25 Sep 2017, 9:40 pm

Bigtravoz wrote:There's way too much incorrect information in this thread. People need to look harder at the facts before posting. Maybe even look into your states laws. Most ranges are restricted to 8mm as the maximum caliber and around 4500 ftlbs of energy due to legislation however there are ranges out there (I believe Warracknabeal may be one) where a 50 cal is approved. This said however there are plenty of 50 Cals out there that have been obtained without the millions of dollars in legal bills mentioned by an earlier poster. There's actually larger calibers than 50 in black powder and muzzle loaders readily available for general Joe hunter to own for hunting.

Warracknabeal is 50Cal approved as I'll be shooting in the FCSA 1000yd competition in a couple weeks. Cadross on the outskirts of Mildura is also approved along with a range in W.A that I can't recall the name of. NSW will be getting a range approved soon, should have been this year but factors outside the control of the organisers have delayed getting approvals. In NSW anyone with a Cat B license can go purchase a 50BMG over the in a few shops without drama and prices start around the $5k mark, In VIC I believe you need to be a member of an approved club such as the LRSC at Mildura for some time and complete a number of supervised shoots prior to getting approval to purchase.
If you're around Warracknabeal Saturday 7th October, drop by the range and check out the 50's. I think all slots have been filled so there's definitely a big interest in the caliber and it continues to grow each competition I attend.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bigtravoz » 26 Sep 2017, 10:08 am

brett1868 wrote:
Bigtravoz wrote:There's way too much incorrect information in this thread. People need to look harder at the facts before posting. Maybe even look into your states laws. Most ranges are restricted to 8mm as the maximum caliber and around 4500 ftlbs of energy due to legislation however there are ranges out there (I believe Warracknabeal may be one) where a 50 cal is approved. This said however there are plenty of 50 Cals out there that have been obtained without the millions of dollars in legal bills mentioned by an earlier poster. There's actually larger calibers than 50 in black powder and muzzle loaders readily available for general Joe hunter to own for hunting.

Warracknabeal is 50Cal approved as I'll be shooting in the FCSA 1000yd competition in a couple weeks. Cadross on the outskirts of Mildura is also approved along with a range in W.A that I can't recall the name of. NSW will be getting a range approved soon, should have been this year but factors outside the control of the organisers have delayed getting approvals. In NSW anyone with a Cat B license can go purchase a 50BMG over the in a few shops without drama and prices start around the $5k mark, In VIC I believe you need to be a member of an approved club such as the LRSC at Mildura for some time and complete a number of supervised shoots prior to getting approval to purchase.
If you're around Warracknabeal Saturday 7th October, drop by the range and check out the 50's. I think all slots have been filled so there's definitely a big interest in the caliber and it continues to grow each competition I attend.

Man I wish I was able to get there.
Bigtravoz
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Hangfire » 26 Sep 2017, 3:21 pm

308 is a good start but if looking for better long range check out te 6.5 options I'm a fan of the 6.5 x 55 as its more resoanble on price but the 6.5 creedmore is popular.
Hangfire
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by trantor41 » 17 Oct 2018, 5:13 pm

I had a .308 Norma magnum built up--98 Mauser action --Sako 1in 11 twist heavy barrel---2 lb trigger ----all the long range power and accuracy I would ever need. 1. No having to justify a .338 to the registry either.85 grain Lapua projectiles --73 grain 2213SC powder and a magnum primer
trantor41
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 17 Oct 2018, 8:26 pm

I hear in WA the largest legal calibre is 22LR can someone confirm or deny, thanks
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 17 Oct 2018, 8:30 pm

Ziad wrote:I hear in WA the largest legal calibre is 22LR can someone confirm or deny, thanks

:lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by DJCoopes » 04 Dec 2018, 11:55 am

Would .510dtc pass?
.22LR Lever
.30-30WIN Break
12G Break
12G Bolt
==============
Glory to Australia!
-John Williamson
DJCoopes
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by cracker » 04 Dec 2018, 3:39 pm

DJCoopes wrote:Would .510dtc pass?

in vic you need a legit reason too own a 50bmg.
long range comp shooting, collecting something along those lines...
not sure its calibre they are so worried about more big f*** off sniper rifle type setups... you know stuff people could use to take out one high value target...
doubt you have much trouble getting a pta for a .505 gibbs or something even larger.
depends what your into if you really want to do long range comp shooting then a 50bmg might be your thing shouldnt have a worry, find some comps and register your interest and par take.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Smirky Dog » 23 Apr 2019, 3:43 am

[moderator edit]

Moved to a dedicated topic - Possible to own a Russian OTS-03 rifle in WA?
Last edited by Blackened on 24 Apr 2019, 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved to a dedicated topic
Smirky Dog
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by mickb » 26 Apr 2019, 10:15 pm

largest actual pure calibre I think would be a muzzleloading cannon. In QLD 2" bore is now as big as you can go. Previously it was unlimited bore as long as the gun matched a historical peice and the barrel was less than 48". Not sure about the other states. A few blokes did lovely 4" civil war mountain howitzers. Unfortunately the idiot muzzleloading club presidents encouraged legislation to keep it to 2" bore. Nothing like shooting oneself in the foot. Obviously a 2" bore cannon limit prevents civil war cannon gang fights on the subway.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 27 Apr 2019, 2:08 pm

mickb wrote:largest actual pure calibre I think would be a muzzleloading cannon. In QLD 2" bore is now as big as you can go. Previously it was unlimited bore as long as the gun matched a historical peice and the barrel was less than 48". Not sure about the other states. A few blokes did lovely 4" civil war mountain howitzers. Unfortunately the idiot muzzleloading club presidents encouraged legislation to keep it to 2" bore. Nothing like shooting oneself in the foot. Obviously a 2" bore cannon limit prevents civil war cannon gang fights on the subway.

I would think the 48" barrel restriction likely rules out most cannon over 2" bore anyway?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 27 Apr 2019, 3:09 pm

bladeracer wrote:
mickb wrote:largest actual pure calibre I think would be a muzzleloading cannon. In QLD 2" bore is now as big as you can go. Previously it was unlimited bore as long as the gun matched a historical peice and the barrel was less than 48". Not sure about the other states. A few blokes did lovely 4" civil war mountain howitzers. Unfortunately the idiot muzzleloading club presidents encouraged legislation to keep it to 2" bore. Nothing like shooting oneself in the foot. Obviously a 2" bore cannon limit prevents civil war cannon gang fights on the subway.

I would think the 48" barrel restriction likely rules out most cannon over 2" bore anyway?

There were quite a few mortars and howitzers which fit it. Civil war mountain howitzer was a favourite for re-enactors. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1841_mountain_howitzer
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Yank » 23 Dec 2019, 2:00 pm

Gentlemen you really do make a few very good points for why those of us in the United States who have guns and value our second amendment of the US Constitution and fight so hard against gun control issues.

my son just gave me my Christmas present early this year... Savage 338 Lapua Magnum... and i'm sure glad I didn't have to go ask some Globalist Politician for Permission first !!!

What will I do with it??? I have no idea... probably just look at it and dream of getting a day off so i could go shoot it...
what would I hunt with it???
Anything Dangerous that I prefer keeping distance from... Feral Hogs is the first thing comes to mind...

But does it really matter? Our Rights are to defend our homes and our nation against all oppressors and from Tyranny in Government... to keep the Government in check... you cant do that if you need to ask them first every time you want to use the loo;(

I don't envy your position... Personally I cant bare to live under that type of scrutiny and oppression.

Cheers
The "Yank"
The Best Form of Gun Control is Achieved by Much Training, Practice and a Steady Hand !!!
Yank
Recruit
Recruit

-

PreviousNext

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics