Largest legal calibre here in Aus?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: Largest legal calibre here in Aus?

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 17 Oct 2018, 8:26 pm

I hear in WA the largest legal calibre is 22LR can someone confirm or deny, thanks
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 17 Oct 2018, 8:30 pm

Ziad wrote:I hear in WA the largest legal calibre is 22LR can someone confirm or deny, thanks

:lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by DJCoopes » 04 Dec 2018, 11:55 am

Would .510dtc pass?
.22LR Lever
.30-30WIN Break
12G Break
12G Bolt
==============
Glory to Australia!
-John Williamson
DJCoopes
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by cracker » 04 Dec 2018, 3:39 pm

DJCoopes wrote:Would .510dtc pass?

in vic you need a legit reason too own a 50bmg.
long range comp shooting, collecting something along those lines...
not sure its calibre they are so worried about more big f*** off sniper rifle type setups... you know stuff people could use to take out one high value target...
doubt you have much trouble getting a pta for a .505 gibbs or something even larger.
depends what your into if you really want to do long range comp shooting then a 50bmg might be your thing shouldnt have a worry, find some comps and register your interest and par take.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Smirky Dog » 23 Apr 2019, 3:43 am

[moderator edit]

Moved to a dedicated topic - Possible to own a Russian OTS-03 rifle in WA?
Last edited by Blackened on 24 Apr 2019, 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved to a dedicated topic
Smirky Dog
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by mickb » 26 Apr 2019, 10:15 pm

largest actual pure calibre I think would be a muzzleloading cannon. In QLD 2" bore is now as big as you can go. Previously it was unlimited bore as long as the gun matched a historical peice and the barrel was less than 48". Not sure about the other states. A few blokes did lovely 4" civil war mountain howitzers. Unfortunately the idiot muzzleloading club presidents encouraged legislation to keep it to 2" bore. Nothing like shooting oneself in the foot. Obviously a 2" bore cannon limit prevents civil war cannon gang fights on the subway.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 27 Apr 2019, 2:08 pm

mickb wrote:largest actual pure calibre I think would be a muzzleloading cannon. In QLD 2" bore is now as big as you can go. Previously it was unlimited bore as long as the gun matched a historical peice and the barrel was less than 48". Not sure about the other states. A few blokes did lovely 4" civil war mountain howitzers. Unfortunately the idiot muzzleloading club presidents encouraged legislation to keep it to 2" bore. Nothing like shooting oneself in the foot. Obviously a 2" bore cannon limit prevents civil war cannon gang fights on the subway.

I would think the 48" barrel restriction likely rules out most cannon over 2" bore anyway?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 27 Apr 2019, 3:09 pm

bladeracer wrote:
mickb wrote:largest actual pure calibre I think would be a muzzleloading cannon. In QLD 2" bore is now as big as you can go. Previously it was unlimited bore as long as the gun matched a historical peice and the barrel was less than 48". Not sure about the other states. A few blokes did lovely 4" civil war mountain howitzers. Unfortunately the idiot muzzleloading club presidents encouraged legislation to keep it to 2" bore. Nothing like shooting oneself in the foot. Obviously a 2" bore cannon limit prevents civil war cannon gang fights on the subway.

I would think the 48" barrel restriction likely rules out most cannon over 2" bore anyway?

There were quite a few mortars and howitzers which fit it. Civil war mountain howitzer was a favourite for re-enactors. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1841_mountain_howitzer
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Yank » 23 Dec 2019, 2:00 pm

Gentlemen you really do make a few very good points for why those of us in the United States who have guns and value our second amendment of the US Constitution and fight so hard against gun control issues.

my son just gave me my Christmas present early this year... Savage 338 Lapua Magnum... and i'm sure glad I didn't have to go ask some Globalist Politician for Permission first !!!

What will I do with it??? I have no idea... probably just look at it and dream of getting a day off so i could go shoot it...
what would I hunt with it???
Anything Dangerous that I prefer keeping distance from... Feral Hogs is the first thing comes to mind...

But does it really matter? Our Rights are to defend our homes and our nation against all oppressors and from Tyranny in Government... to keep the Government in check... you cant do that if you need to ask them first every time you want to use the loo;(

I don't envy your position... Personally I cant bare to live under that type of scrutiny and oppression.

Cheers
The "Yank"
The Best Form of Gun Control is Achieved by Much Training, Practice and a Steady Hand !!!
Yank
Recruit
Recruit

-

Previous

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics