204 Ruger split case neck

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

204 Ruger split case neck

Post by happyhunter » 01 Jan 2017, 11:04 am

Couple days ago I found half a box of factory Hornady Vmax in .204 hiding in the back of the safe. As I was going out to zero a new batch of hand loads and thought why not finish the box of Factory stuff off as it must be 10 years old by now.

After sighting the new batch of hand loads, the barrel was pretty warm and I loaded the first factory round.. BOOM,!.. that was louder than normal? Ejected the case to see a big split down the neck. next three factory rounds were fine.

Neck split didn't seem to effect accuracy. Four shot group at the center dot is the factory ammo.
Attachments
204_new_ammo.jpg
204_new_ammo.jpg (17.21 KiB) Viewed 2181 times
split_case204.jpg
split_case204.jpg (76.53 KiB) Viewed 2181 times
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Re: 204 Ruger split case neck

Post by Gamerancher » 01 Jan 2017, 4:28 pm

Wouldn't worry too much, just a defective case. I've even had one in a batch of Lapua brass do the same with a mild reload in a Sako 75 in 6.5 x 55. Write it off as a dud case and get on with life. :drinks:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Jan 2017, 7:45 pm

Can't say I've had one do that in the 204 as yet, have had a primer let go in the 222 which was interesting (no dramas).
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by happyhunter » 01 Jan 2017, 9:00 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Wouldn't worry too much, just a defective case. I've even had one in a batch of Lapua brass do the same with a mild reload in a Sako 75 in 6.5 x 55. Write it off as a dud case and get on with life. :drinks:

haha.. I wasn't worried as it was the first shot of the 4 shot group and I just kept blasting away. More of a "first time this has happened..' moment :D
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by buckle » 03 Jan 2017, 9:26 am

bigfellascott wrote:have had a primer let go in the 222 which was interesting (no dramas).

A bit of a bang in the wrong direction?
buckle
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics