Eley alphamax+

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Eley alphamax+

Post by Deacon » 17 Feb 2017, 2:08 pm

Picked up a box of these today on special. Anyone here used them? They are AAA shot which I've never used before but they can supposedly stop a pig (I'm a little skeptical on that)
Deacon
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Eley alphamax+

Post by crush » 24 Feb 2017, 12:53 pm

Their description of the ammo is weird....

Alphamax+ is a classic heavy game cartridge, traditionally used for fox control where rifles are not easy to use and close-up driven fox control is required.

Heavy game foxes? Huh :unknown:
crush
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by BBJ » 24 Feb 2017, 12:59 pm

Deacon wrote:They are AAA shot which I've never used before but they can supposedly stop a pig (I'm a little skeptical on that)

They'll smash a fox, but AAA pigs? No thanks!

I'd like to see the bloke that suggested that put his money where is mouth is and stand in front of an 80kg razorback with a cartridge full of shot :lol:
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Feb 2017, 2:04 pm

I'd probably give em a run - soon see if they are up to it or not. :D

https://www.nioa.com.au/products/view/EA1236AAA
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Pythonkeeper » 24 Feb 2017, 3:39 pm

I was recommended 21 pellet Diana buckshot for pigs over the 00/SG 9 pellet that I've used in the past, the jury is still out for me as far as using them for pigs as I haven't come across them with shotgun in hand, made a mess of a couple of foxes and a cat though.
I'd much rather hunt with the appropriate centre fire to be honest, shot guns aren't always the quickest kill in my experience, range is very limited and if you misjudge ends up in a maimed animal, none of us want that......shotties are a heap of fun though....
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Adlippy » 26 Feb 2017, 6:35 pm

They are great on rabbits and hares if you aren't planning on eating them haven't tried them on a fox yet, wouldn't use them on a pig
Sako Finn Fire II 22lr, Nikon pro staff 3x9x40
Sako Finn fire II 17HMR, Meopta Meopro 3x12x50
Tikka Hunter 22-250 Meopta Meopro 6x18x50
Stoeger condor 12g
Adlippy
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Deacon » 27 Feb 2017, 11:14 pm

BBJ wrote: They'll smash a fox, but AAA pigs? No thanks!

Yeah I figured as much. Do you have a preferred big critter shot size or particular shell?

Pythonkeeper wrote:I'd much rather hunt with the appropriate centre fire to be honest, shot guns aren't always the quickest kill in my experience, range is very limited and if you misjudge ends up in a maimed animal, none of us want that......shotties are a heap of fun though....

I usually tend to agree but one of the places I go is rather thick bushland so distance is not really an issue. My favourite trail is bloody long so I like to take one gun if possible. My 30-30 is great in there but it turns rabbits to mist which is funny in hindsight, less funny when you're looking for a feed. The 12ga with a few shot sizes covers all the bases. On top of that I've heard dogs around there while I've been camping which makes the shotty more appealing in case the little s**ts get a bit too curious.
Deacon
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by ap2727 » 19 Feb 2019, 11:45 am

Hi Declan,
Just found this topic, I hope it is not too late!
Don't listen to some of these comments.
Although I would prefer a double load of SGs or my old 30/30 if facing a big boar, the number of medium to large pigs I've decked with AAA shot or sometimes even BBs would fill the back of a decent sized truck! Just be conscious of the range and make sure you hit them in the front end, you"ll get'm!
Cheers
ap2727
ap2727
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 19 Feb 2019, 8:56 pm

Back when we were allowed pump shotties I flattened dozens of pigs with aaa shot. Once upon a time somebody in a pub told a story of a charging boar that kept on coming after taking a full mag of 308. The boar had tusks 12 inches long and breathed fire. An autopsy revealed that inside that boar were the skeletons of 13 bull terriers. Ever since then plenty of ambitious adventure seekers have armed themselves with pocketfuls of barns x and charged off into the outback only to see a handfull af Roos and a sow followed by her suckers
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by southwest shooter » 20 Feb 2019, 8:32 am

42 gram BBs eley alphamax are my go to round when fox whistling , I don't like to see them get up .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Feb 2019, 1:36 pm

Pythonkeeper wrote:I'd much rather hunt with the appropriate centre fire to be honest, shot guns aren't always the quickest kill in my experience, range is very limited and if you misjudge ends up in a maimed animal, none of us want that......shotties are a heap of fun though....

There was a video posted on Facebook this week of some foxes being called in and taken with a shotgun. I kept waiting for him to shoot when these foxes were only a few yards away, but he waited every time for them to find the decoy, turn and run, and then shot them in the arse - that makes no sense to me at all with a shotgun.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by winniethepoo » 02 Jan 2024, 1:00 pm

i use them for pigs they work alot better then oo i give them two thumbs way up
winniethepoo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 02 Jan 2024, 1:23 pm

One has to assume the OP's cartridge, being Eley, is English AAA not American AAA? They are different size pellets, the English having around 44 shot in a 36gr load whereas the US AAA has around 27 for 36gr load.shot, The English AAA is roughly equal to US # Buckshot. Either cartridge worked well on pigs out to 40 yards or so from my SPAS12 but still preferred to use 00/SG from 25 yards.
edit - #4 Buckshot
Last edited by No1Mk3 on 02 Jan 2024, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 02 Jan 2024, 2:32 pm

Well number 1 u just taught me something. I did not know there was different aaa sizes of shot from different zones of the world. I had an eley aaa shell handy so I dug out a pellet. It’s 5.3 mm diameter
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 Jan 2024, 2:34 pm

The eley aaa alpha max was notorious for not functioning reliably in my straight pull Adler
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics