.32 rimfire ammo

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

.32 rimfire ammo

Post by Dave Bertram » 02 Mar 2017, 2:35 pm

Hi folks,
I'm asking if anyone can help me with a problem I have with my two Remington .32 rimfires.
I have acquired some rounds for said rifles, however the rounds will not chamber in either rifle.
After pulling a projectile & trying to get it to go into the chamber (not without being driven) the projectile was jambing up badly on the rifling.
According to wikipedia the S&W .32 has a bore size of .318in, a bit further into the article it states that "remington .32 rifles have a bore size of.304in". Can anyone shed any light on this for me?
Thanks Dave.
Dave Bertram
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: .32 rimfire ammo

Post by Dave Bertram » 09 Mar 2017, 8:36 pm

Hi folks,
All I asked was can anyone confirm or refute the info that I've supplied.?
I'm stunned after seven days no one has bothered to reply to an honest request for info.

I can see where this "forum" is headed
Dave Bertram
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Tripod » 09 Mar 2017, 9:08 pm

I have a Stevens favorite that was a 32 rimfire that has been rechambered to 32S&W and had the firing pin changed to centerfire. When I slugged the bore expecting .312 or greater I was surprised to find it was .307. So yes some of the early .32 calibers were what we would think of as 30cal. Are you after another one?
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Noisydad » 09 Mar 2017, 9:34 pm

Hi Dave, can't believe I missed this interesting question for a week!
If memory serves there were quite a few versions of the smaller .32 cartidges in both rimfire and centerfire for pistol and rifle applications.
As Tripod said some were nearer .30 cal and there were long and short versions of some of them too.
Careful chamber measurement would be needed to determine just what your dealing with.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 10 Mar 2017, 5:11 am

G'day Dave,
I'm stunned that your stunned! I would say most people here are not at all informed on the very obsolete 32RF and it's variations and so it is not a case of "not bothered" but more not "able" to shed any light, 7 days or otherwise. Like Noisydad I also missed this question until now and maybe the very few others able to answer also missed it. You come on the forum with 1 post which very few folk could ever help, and your 2nd post is a whinge. Maybe you can see "where this forum is headed", but I know where I'm headed, so do what the rest of us who know the answer did, buy some books, such as Barnes COTW, and talk, politely, to some collectors.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 10 Mar 2017, 7:22 am

Perhaps he was looking for the classic, "I've never owned or seen one ,but.........." answer? :sarcasm:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 10 Mar 2017, 10:49 am

What model are the rifles? Can you measure the chamber length with the long skinny end of a calliper? Can you slug the barrel to get a groove diameter?
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 10 Mar 2017, 1:54 pm

Dave Bertram wrote:Hi folks,
All I asked was can anyone confirm or refute the info that I've supplied.?
I'm stunned after seven days no one has bothered to reply to an honest request for info.

I can see where this "forum" is headed

So negative on your second post Dave??

Where is it heading??, do tell....

As far as your question; WHY would you even want to discharge this firearm (I have no doubt it would be thoroughly underwhelming).... the ammo is probable worth quite a bit :unknown: Just get yourself a 'proper' rifle, and if you DO NOT have a licence....(as a 32RF does not need to be registered...neither the owner needs to be licensed) .... delete your account and walk away whistling... :lol: ;)

No doubt theyre lovely old rifles, clean them up and admire them.... :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bladeracer » 10 Mar 2017, 2:01 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:As far as your question; WHY would you even want to discharge this firearm (I have no doubt it would be thoroughly underwhelming).... the ammo is probable worth quite a bit :unknown: Just get yourself a 'proper' rifle, and if you DO NOT have a licence....(as a 32RF does not need to be registered...neither the owner needs to be licensed) .... delete your account and walk away whistling... :lol: ;)

You do need a licence if you intend to fire the thing though don't you?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 10 Mar 2017, 8:11 pm

bladeracer wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:As far as your question; WHY would you even want to discharge this firearm (I have no doubt it would be thoroughly underwhelming).... the ammo is probable worth quite a bit :unknown: Just get yourself a 'proper' rifle, and if you DO NOT have a licence....(as a 32RF does not need to be registered...neither the owner needs to be licensed) .... delete your account and walk away whistling... :lol: ;)

You do need a licence if you intend to fire the thing though don't you?

Absolutely.....you also need to register it.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Sionso » 18 Mar 2020, 5:30 am

Tripod wrote:I have a Stevens favorite that was a 32 rimfire that has been rechambered to 32S&W and had the firing pin changed to centerfire. When I slugged the bore expecting .312 or greater I was surprised to find it was .307. So yes some of the early .32 calibers were what we would think of as 30cal. Are you after another one?

Do you still have one in .32RF? Or is the one you mentioned able to change back to RF easily?
Sionso
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 19 Mar 2020, 12:22 am

Im intrigued iv Never heard of 32rf but being rimfire did they make them semi auto and how do they compare to 22lr
more specifically could it kill a dog or pig and what range would it be effective at
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 19 Mar 2020, 12:30 am

Farmerpete wrote:Im intrigued iv Never heard of 32rf but being rimfire did they make them semi auto and how do they compare to 22lr
more specifically could it kill a dog or pig and what range would it be effective at

.32 Rimfire was a subsonic 90gn bullet, a little more energy than .22LR, or very similar to the 100gn .30-30 subsonic load I've just been playing with.
.310 Cadet is way more potent than .32 Rimfire with a 120gn bullet at 1500fps.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 19 Mar 2020, 12:46 am

Thanks bladeracer after googling the 32rf iv sadly realised it's not an easy way to get a semi auto 30 cal for the farm but was kinda excited for a minute
I still remember how good dad's sks was on pigs even though I was only a kid when he had to hand it in
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 19 Mar 2020, 1:01 am

Farmerpete wrote:Thanks bladeracer after googling the 32rf iv sadly realised it's not an easy way to get a semi auto 30 cal for the farm but was kinda excited for a minute
I still remember how good dad's sks was on pigs even though I was only a kid when he had to hand it in

Do Qld laws simply specify semi-auto "rimfire" as CatC, no mention of caliber or chambering at all?
I don't think any of the larger caliber rimfire ammunitions are available, that's why so many old rimfires get converted to centrefire chamberings.
And I don't think loading your own rimfire ammo is really viable for a semi-auto.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 19 Mar 2020, 7:44 am

bladeracer wrote:
Do Qld laws simply specify semi-auto "rimfire" as CatC, no mention of caliber or chambering at all?

No mention of caliber just a limit of 10 plus 1 capacity.
If someone made a larger caliber rimfire it would be happy days
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by perentie » 21 Mar 2020, 7:53 am

[quote
Do you still have one in .32RF? Or is the one you mentioned able to change back to RF easily?[/quote]

I have a Remington and a Stevens in 32 RF that I have been wondering what to do with.
They both had to be registered to my Licence here in Qld.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics