Cartridge Collectors

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: Cartridge Collectors

Post by Baz460 » 06 May 2017, 3:21 am

A few thumpers. The 3 besides the 22 are just there for comparison.
Attachments
01ad72711a58b12a9cc13fa3cc051c782431f79ead.jpg
01ad72711a58b12a9cc13fa3cc051c782431f79ead.jpg (87.37 KiB) Viewed 6863 times
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by MrFishimus » 06 May 2017, 7:43 am

Is it best to clean these all up with brasso?
MrFishimus
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 May 2017, 9:10 am

Cool as 8-)
Great collection and a great thread
I'll be adding my collection here soon. :thumbsup:
Perhaps one day SA will change the laws and make an instant criminal out of me as I own a few that I'm not chambered for.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by MrFishimus » 06 May 2017, 9:40 am

sungazer wrote:I could be wrong but those so called blanks on the end. I dont think are blanks. Blanks normally have the case crimped and no projectile in the case those seem to have a projectile in them and then a crimped projectile. They may be some type of tracer round or have something else in the hollow point.

Dont clean them if you want to retain any collectors value in them. Only clean them if it is really necessary and for your eyes only for ever.

Hey sungazer, they're deffo blanks. https://www.rebelgunworks.com.au/produc ... belt-100pk
What's the reason for no cleaning? I thought it'd be better if they weren't covered in crud? Also is it possible to reassemble that disintegrating link?
Cheers mate.
MrFishimus
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 06 May 2017, 9:50 am

http://cartridgecollectors.org/?page=headstampcodes

Found this a while back, may be useful ?
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by MrFishimus » 06 May 2017, 10:22 am

Tiger650 wrote:http://cartridgecollectors.org/?page=headstampcodes

Found this a while back, may be useful ?

Good find Tiger650, very handy.
MrFishimus
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 06 May 2017, 11:17 am

First rimfire is cat shot.Just a primer and ball.You can still buy it.Then short and long.Nice collection
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 06 May 2017, 1:17 pm

sungazer wrote:I could be wrong but those so called blanks on the end. I dont think are blanks. Blanks normally have the case crimped and no projectile in the case those seem to have a projectile in them and then a crimped projectile. They may be some type of tracer round or have something else in the hollow point.

They're plastic blanks - I have some in 5.56mm NATO I got from the SAS in Perth.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 May 2017, 6:38 pm

sungazer wrote:Glad I'm wrong. It could be catastrophic to find out the hard way. Was it Bruce Lee that died from putting a gun to his head with a blank and it killed him from just the shock wave. Might have the person wrong but the event is true.

I mentioned the don't clean them as it certainly applies to old guns and pistols and a lot of antiques. Collectors want the old patina also a lot of damage can be done by people that clean things in the wrong way. You see it mentioned a lot on Pawn Stars on TV with the old guns that come in, some people have taken a wire brush to them and totally wrecked and devalued them.

Generally, those incidents occur because something is lodged in the bore in front of the blank cartridge and that becomes a bullet.
Rifle blanks do pack some punch but I'm not sure very many people have been fatally injured by pure, unwadded blanks.

Definitely, I cringed when I saw that polished brass :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 06 May 2017, 6:59 pm

G'day bladeracer,
More than a few have been killed by blanks within 2 meters, autopsy usually shows fragments of the star crimp lodged in the heart or brain. Unlucky to die, but certainly possible. Wooden plugs on the other hand killed several Swedish soldiers before the adoption of the BFA.

G'day Mr Fishimus,
Collectors pay for originality, which includes a layer called "patina". Age can be faked but patina cannot, it only deposits with time. As originality draws a price premium, if you don't polish the items they will hold and improve in value, polish the patina off and they are junk. Conservation is a different story, and careful cleaning of the cartridge by someone who knows what they're doing can actually enhance the value. Cleaning is done with great care, using very fine brass wool or cloth only. Brasso is poison. I see some of the DG cartridges are already buggered, but save the rest, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MrFishimus » 08 May 2017, 2:45 pm

Ah, patina I get. I'm a car guy too. Here's a few more for consideration.

Here's 2 .38 specials

What's got be buggered is the head stamp, I believe that .38 special was a police round ?? originally, so is that what's going on here?

So here we have a .38 sp, a necked down .38sp and something else.

Head stamps again

.25?? Pinfire from ELEY

Finally for today, what I think maybe a Japanese Nambu round, next to a 9mm.

More to come in the future.
MrFishimus
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 08 May 2017, 4:51 pm

G'day Mr Fishimus,
The 38Spl was a military round also, as was the 357Mag. Yours is Federal Cartridge 1957. Mil ammo was also loaded by Lake City (LC) as well as Winchester (WCC). The necked down case could be any number of wildcats, such as 30 Badger among others, both 38Spl and 357Mag are still popular cases to "play around" with. The case on the right is 7.62x39, the AK47 cartridge, yours was made at State Factory 71 in Northern China, who also load the commercial Norinco ammo. The Eley pinfire cartridge could be a wide number of calibers, you would need to accurately measure the bullet diameter at the case junction, case diameter and length, pin length, and distance of the pin from the end of the case. In the early days pinfire was very common and a huge number of variants exist, as well as revolvers to fire them including 12 and 18 shot revolvers! That last one is going to need a better (clearer) pic of the trademark for positive ID, but I can almost certainly say it is not Nambu. Imperial Army ammo was never headstamped, Imperial Navy ammo was but I haven't seen that type of stamping. At the moment I am leaning toward 8mm Kromar or perhaps Schonberger Auto? Would bet it was European at least. Can you measure case length, neck length, case base diameter and neck diameter, bullet at the case diameter and that would give me something to hunt, Cheers.
PS: You seem to have aquired quite a varied and interesting lot of cartridges.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 08 May 2017, 5:18 pm

Forget those other 2, don't think the case looks long enough for the Kromar nor the Schonberger, both of which would be very rare in Australia anyway. I'm betting on something much more common here, 9mm Glisenti Auto, adopted by Italy in 1910. Barring measurement knocking that off, of course.

Edit: Nope, not happy with the case type. Bottle neck "C" case doesn't really suit the Glisenti, will have to wait for accurate measurement
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics