.22LR Rim Thickness

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: .22LR Rim Thickness

Post by bladeracer » 12 May 2017, 3:07 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Chamber spec is same, but minimum 1.09mm (0.0429in)

Chamber spec is the same as what?
I believe my brother's Annie 64 has a match chamber so I'd like to take a cast of it next time he's down here and see how it compares to my Ruger.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 May 2017, 3:12 am

Apollo wrote:Well, at least you are honest.... :thumbsup:

1965 Brno Model 2 stock standard. - Lapua Center-X ... One target was 5 shots under 75mm more like 60mm ... three targets just over 75mm. The last was a disaster when I picked up the wrong box of ammo about 125-150mm. 43 shooters, 40 of them were using very expensive custom rifles. The other two was my mate and his son using another Brno Model 2 but untested ammo and they came second last and last place.

One warmer target, 5 scoring targets ended up 14th place but 6th after the first 4 targets...

What a load of fun for 4-5 hours of competition shooting.

Wasn't even going to compete but it was a Centrefire 500m Fly Shoot the day before so why not stay and see what happened. The story as I was told by the experts is that in Rimfire you can Lead then Crash n Burn in minutes if you get it wrong. Practise at home helps heaps... poor little bunnies.

What size bull are you aiming at at 200m?
Is the target available online at all?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 May 2017, 4:54 am

Gwion wrote:Sounds like fun. I'm keen to sort something out to practice 22lr out at 200 for f-class training but thinking I need a different rifle and set it up closer to what my fclass rifle is (or will be when I get a new stock for it).

A little while ago I put a few hours into finding a .22LR round that somewhat follows a centrefire trajectory at scaled-down ranges.

22LR MiniMag and 7mm-08 160gn 2370fps Trajectory Comparison .jpg
22LR MiniMag and 7mm-08 160gn 2370fps Trajectory Comparison .jpg (108.1 KiB) Viewed 7318 times

Basically, if I set out a range with half-sized targets every 50m out to 500m, the hold-overs with CCI MiniMags are very close to shooting 7mm-08 160gn SP at 2370fps - but at double the ranges. Out to 325m the .22LR is virtually identical to the 7mm-08 at 650m. Although wind drift is not as close, it's not too far out.

The minor drawback is that in my Ruger the MiniMag's are only good for 3MoA out to 100m, and I haven't tried them any further than that yet. At half-scale though, 1.5MoA is easily good enough for long-range hunting practice.

I'll have to run similar numbers with the Eley Edge and see what I can come up with :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by vmaxaust » 12 May 2017, 6:09 am

Interesting that you have so many failures.

Well this has been consistently occurring with the Federal ammo in all the 22 rifles I've owned in the last 3-4 years...Browning BL lever, Savage MKII, CZ452 and the Smith and Wesson 41 handgun. I don't remember but I doubt I have tried too much if any of that ammo in the Ruger American. That rifle is fairly new.
The Winchester 555 rounds see the misfires occurring much less frequently in all those rifles and handgun and the CCI almost never. It's for that reason I use the Win and CCI only. Not interested in match accuracy with the more expensive stuff. I shoot the 22 for fun and not to win competitions so I'm not hung up on the absolute most accuracy, to me the misfires are the bain of shooting 22's.
To that end I balance the cost of 22 ammo I use to its reliability of fire.
If anyone has any other suggestions for high velocity medium to lower cost bulk ammo brand and type that is not prone to misfires please let me know.

Sam
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 May 2017, 6:28 am

vmaxaust wrote:Well this has been consistently occurring with the Federal ammo in all the 22 rifles I've owned in the last 3-4 years...Browning BL lever, Savage MKII, CZ452 and the Smith and Wesson 41 handgun. I don't remember but I doubt I have tried too much if any of that ammo in the Ruger American. That rifle is fairly new.
The Winchester 555 rounds see the misfires occurring much less frequently in all those rifles and handgun and the CCI almost never. It's for that reason I use the Win and CCI only. Not interested in match accuracy with the more expensive stuff. I shoot the 22 for fun and not to win competitions so I'm not hung up on the absolute most accuracy, to me the misfires are the bain of shooting 22's.
To that end I balance the cost of 22 ammo I use to its reliability of fire.
If anyone has any other suggestions for high velocity medium to lower cost bulk ammo brand and type that is not prone to misfires please let me know.

Sam

I think you'll find the misfires are due to the firearm, not the ammo.
Other than a single MiniMag, I've had no misfires with any of the cheapest ammunition in any of my rifles - Remington Cyclone, Highland RX HP and RN, Sellier & Bellot Standard, CCI Standard Velocity, Federal American Eagle 38gn HP, CCI MiniMag HP, CCI Subsonic and Winchester T-22 are the cheapest I've tried so far and should all be under $10/50rds. I haven't tried any of the bulk stuff because I didn't want to be lumbered with hundreds of rounds of ammo that might not shoot very well.
The absolute cheapest I can get currently is the 1400-rd Bucket of Bullets at $5/50.
But two years ago I picked up two bricks of Highland RX RN on special for $3.40/50.

I would certainly try a lot more than just three types before deciding on which of those is most reliable.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 12 May 2017, 7:40 am

If I had the spare cash i'd get a Lithgow, fit it with a 20moa rail, drop it in the same stock as my 7-08 and use the same scope. Would be great for practice. Thinking of adding a monthly Rimfire F-class to the fixture for next club season. I reckon it would be great practice and good starting point for new members.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Apollo » 12 May 2017, 7:48 am

bladeracer wrote:What size bull are you aiming at at 200m?
Is the target available online at all?

Don't think I ever found a proper target online, here's a bit of info if you can do the metric conversion. It's not actually a "bull" in that sense but the Fly is roughly half the size or less of the 10 Ring which is 1.8" or about 45.7mm. The tricky part is the Orange colour on a Yellow background in less than idea conditions.

http://www.angelfire.com/bc/mbrclub/FlyShoot.html
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 12 May 2017, 7:58 am

Haha.
I like rule #10: any competitor found not enjoying themselves will be disqualified.
:lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Apollo » 12 May 2017, 8:04 am

Gwion wrote:Haha.
I like rule #10: any competitor found not enjoying themselves will be disqualified.
:lol:

There's been a few that come very close to breaking that rule when they find out that they have missed the target completely.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 12 May 2017, 1:15 pm

bladeracer wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:Chamber spec is same, but minimum 1.09mm (0.0429in)

Chamber spec is the same as what?
I believe my brother's Annie 64 has a match chamber so I'd like to take a cast of it next time he's down here and see how it compares to my Ruger.

Chamber spec is same, but minimum 1.09mm....

as in
Cartridge spec is a MAX dimension - 1.09
Chamber spec is a MIN dimension - 1.09

So a MAX sized round will fit a minimum sized /tight chamber(or bolt face)...not that thats a concern with a rimfire boltface.

More significant would be the other measurements, cartridge width to chamber width...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics