Inspecting Brass - New to Reloading

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Inspecting Brass - New to Reloading

Post by Mulder030 » 18 May 2017, 8:38 pm

Was hoping to get some educated opinions on some marks/indentations left on majority of the cases after firing.
I loaded the brass (once fired) ADI .308. It was loaded with 43gr of AR2206H pushing the Nosler BT 150gr projectile. This was shot out of my Howa M1500.

These marks were only evident after firing. As this is the first time I have reloaded ADI brass I am unsure as to what possibly caused this.
Could it be something with my rifle?
Could it come back to my Brass prep? I full length resized prior to loading.

I am at the beginning of my reloading learnings and have no-one around me personally that can advise. Hence why I need to lean on the forums.
Would love to know your thoughts, or shoot me further questions to further diagnose.

Thanks in advance, Sorry for the massive photo.

O'mark Model 44 - .308 - Paper
Howa M1500 ultra light Boyd's stock - .308 - Game
Savage MK II Varmint - .22LR - Practice
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Inspecting Brass - New to Reloading

Post by Supaduke » 18 May 2017, 8:55 pm

Is the scratch consistent across all the brass?
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 18 May 2017, 8:58 pm

Can't quite make out if it's a scratch or crack?
And is it all cases or just a few?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 18 May 2017, 9:08 pm

Considering it's only once or twice fired the integrity of the brass would be fine. Heck check out my old brass:

IMG_5691.JPG
IMG_5691.JPG (1.5 MiB) Viewed 4951 times

that's probably around the 10th reload (with a couple of anneals). The shoulder and mouth are usually the first thing to go, usually when you seat. Even if it splits upon firing, modern rifles can handle the pressure.

In saying that those scratches indicate either a feed misalignment or an extraction misalignment (obviously). How much of an issue this actually is is probably up for debate.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 18 May 2017, 9:24 pm

I would check your chamber with a dry cotton stick. Rub it around in the chamber right around the shoulder area and see if it catches on anything.
Could be a tiny burr or bit of gunk in there. Looks to me like it's snagging something as it seats into the chamber.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Mulder030 » 19 May 2017, 7:15 am

Supaduke wrote:I would check your chamber with a dry cotton stick. Rub it around in the chamber right around the shoulder area and see if it catches on anything.
Could be a tiny burr or bit of gunk in there. Looks to me like it's snagging something as it seats into the chamber.

Supaduke wrote:Is the scratch consistent across all the brass?

Cheers Guys, yeah this is a consistent scratch/gouge across 99% of the rounds used in that rifle for the day. I'm going to put the rifle up on stilts this weekend and have a bo-peep & clean.

Thanks for your input lads.
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 19 May 2017, 7:48 am

I would also try chambering a fired round and extract it slowly, see if you can make note of where the scratch is occurring. Will make it easier to locate your issue.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Mulder030 » 19 May 2017, 8:03 am

Supaduke wrote:I would also try chambering a fired round and extract it slowly, see if you can make note of where the scratch is occurring. Will make it easier to locate your issue.

Yeah am going to try and colour half a round in black nikko cycle it slowly and try and isolate the location then inspect further.
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 19 May 2017, 8:12 am

Are you getting the same on factory rounds?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by superdave » 19 May 2017, 8:24 am

Gwion wrote:Are you getting the same on factory rounds?

This is also worth checking. You may have a scratch or burr on the inside of your sizing die. Maybe size an already scratched and fired case and look to see if there are 2 of the same scratch/scores instead of one.
superdave
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by Mulder030 » 19 May 2017, 8:49 am

I would have to say no, I have put through a bunch of factory loads in this rifle. But not since I have started reloading or since I have noticed the scratch.

superdave wrote:You may have a scratch or burr on the inside of your sizing die. Maybe size an already scratched and fired case and look to see if there are 2 of the same scratch/scores instead of one.

Yeah will do, As previously mentioned I only noticed after firing/ejecting. As this is all new to me I have been taking my time and inspecting every stage of reloading fairly meticulously.

Is it possible to remove a burr from the inside of the die is that is the problem??
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 19 May 2017, 9:10 am

Get a chamber brush, give it a good scrub, mop it out. Try both your hand loads and some factory loads and see if the problem persists.

Also, does it look like a scratch or an indent when up close?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by superdave » 19 May 2017, 1:27 pm

Mulder030 wrote:

I would have to say no, I have put through a bunch of factory loads in this rifle. But not since I have started reloading or since I have noticed the scratch.

superdave wrote:You may have a scratch or burr on the inside of your sizing die. Maybe size an already scratched and fired case and look to see if there are 2 of the same scratch/scores instead of one.

Yeah will do, As previously mentioned I only noticed after firing/ejecting. As this is all new to me I have been taking my time and inspecting every stage of reloading fairly meticulously.

Is it possible to remove a burr from the inside of the die is that is the problem??

Possibly. I didn't manage to cure mine, but there will no doubt be someone who knows how to properly polish the inside of a die.
superdave
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by Mulder030 » 19 May 2017, 7:16 pm

So after spending a few hours at the bench this afternoon, I can confirm that it isn't the die.
I Re-sized/de-primed a few of them which returned no new marks, tomorrow i will investigate the rifle. (along with 50 more winchester case for another Rifle)

Can I chamber and used case with a mark on it to see if it comes out with another mark on it?
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 19 May 2017, 8:13 pm

Gotta be a burr or bit of crap in the chamber. Clean with brush, then if required, wooden dowel with some 1200 wet and dry. Slowly slowly.

I would expect factory less likely to get scratched as it is not as tight as correctly FLS brass.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 19 May 2017, 8:21 pm

I'm betting there is the smallest little burr/machining mark in the chamber. As the round is fired the case expands in the chamber. As the bolt is lifted and brought back, and the case rim is engaged by the extractor, it's causing the expanded case to press against this little dag thus causing the scratch mark on extraction, if that makes sense...I had the same problem with a re barrelled Tikka 223 a while ago. A quick chamber polish by a gunsmith will fix the problem

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 20 May 2017, 7:47 am

COLLECTOR 1 wrote:I'm betting there is the smallest little burr/machining mark in the chamber. As the round is fired the case expands in the chamber. As the bolt is lifted and brought back, and the case rim is engaged by the extractor, it's causing the expanded case to press against this little dag thus causing the scratch mark on extraction, if that makes sense...I had the same problem with a re barrelled Tikka 223 a while ago. A quick chamber polish by a gunsmith will fix the problem

Collector 1

Spot on.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics