distance

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: distance

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Jun 2017, 8:35 am

Gwion wrote:Yeah. But what is 'steep'? 10, 15, 25 degrees?

I get the theory but putting it practice is another matter. You allow the drop based on horizontal distance only (the distance that Gravity is acting on the bullet). Not on the total distance the bullet travels.
Think I need to set up some targets to practice.

Yeah it's a hard one to work out alright, if I think I need to aim low I make sure the X-hairs are still on the target (Ie I don't aim lower than the animal I'm wanting to shoot) that way I hope if I get it wrong I still hit the target so to speak.

I had this trouble when I first go the 204 and was shooting from the top of a hill down into a gully at a rabbit warren, first shot went over quite a bit so I had to actually aim at their front feet to ensure I was close to hitting them but once I worked out where I needed to aim it was all over for em - the shots ranged from 220m out to 255m from memory - I couldn't tell you want angle it was other than the hill was steep and you wouldn't get a 4wd up it from the direction I was shooting.

I would definitely set up some gongs or similar at diff distances and see how you go :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Archie » 05 Jun 2017, 9:36 am

Gwion wrote:100m zero and a bdc reticle. You really need to know your bullet velocity, study your drop charts, know the stadia in minutes on your reticle, have a way of accurately estimating range, etc..

You can also get your DOPE by setting targets at various set ranges and recording drop. If you have no way of reliably estimating range in the field you are going to be in trouble. If you zero for max point blank, you need to know your kill zone and what range your zero allows for and keep your shots within that range. Again, you need a decent idea of velocity and range or you can set targets and record drop. I do most of my shooting in my own paddocks so I have a good idea how far things are from point to point and am not relying entirely on guess work for range estimation.

As suggested previously, most people can't estimate range in the field or fish size on the river bank. :lol:

Makes sense. I have a decent laser range finder. I probably need to use it more often than I do.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Jun 2017, 11:13 am

For me I generally zero my rifles to be pretty much spot on at 100m.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 05 Jun 2017, 11:21 am

I zero centre fire hunting rifles at 100 m. Most of my hunting shots are less than, or not much further than that so I don't need to think too much about hold over. My 25-06 has a BDC reticle for longer shots.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jun 2017, 11:26 am

bigfellascott wrote:For me I generally zero my rifles to be pretty much spot on at 100m.

I generally want to be 30-40mm high at 100m. Still well close enough to not need any holdover.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics