CCI Copper .22

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

CCI Copper .22

Post by Wm.Traynor » 04 Jul 2017, 7:20 pm

Saw this ammo mentioned on p36 of Australian Shooter this arvo. 21 grain bullet at 1850 fps. That is nearly 22 Magnum velocity :D Bullet is lead-free, copper particles and compresses polymer. Sounds good..............if it's accurate and cheap enough :unknown:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Re: CCI Copper .22

Post by Daddybang » 04 Jul 2017, 7:56 pm

Saw it in the lgs but at 17.95 starting to get a bit expensive for .22 ammo might be cheaper down south. :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 04 Jul 2017, 10:18 pm

I use the CCI segmented tip in my .22 and shoots pretty good at 50M and packs a whollop at 32gr

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jul 2017, 12:55 am

Wm.Traynor wrote:Saw this ammo mentioned on p36 of Australian Shooter this arvo. 21 grain bullet at 1850 fps. That is nearly 22 Magnum velocity :D Bullet is lead-free, copper particles and compresses polymer. Sounds good..............if it's accurate and cheap enough :unknown:

At 50m I get groups around 60mm. At 100m though I'm looking at 400-600mm groups, so close range only.
I don't see any value in it myself.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 05 Jul 2017, 6:56 am

bladeracer wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:Saw this ammo mentioned on p36 of Australian Shooter this arvo. 21 grain bullet at 1850 fps. That is nearly 22 Magnum velocity :D Bullet is lead-free, copper particles and compresses polymer. Sounds good..............if it's accurate and cheap enough :unknown:

At 50m I get groups around 60mm. At 100m though I'm looking at 400-600mm groups, so close range only.
I don't see any value in it myself.

Still be okay as a hunting round for cats and cane toads?. :unknown:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jul 2017, 7:06 am

Daddybang wrote:Still be okay as a hunting round for cats and cane toads?. :unknown:

I reckon it'd be okay, but why pay so much and have so much velocity when a ten-cent subsonic round does the same job much quieter? The Copper-22 is only a 21gn polymer bullet so I doubt it'll hit as hard as a 40gn lead bullet.
The 1850fps Copper-22 has 62ft-lb at 50yds but the 1050fps CCI HP has 82ft-lb. The Copper-22 does have 160ft-lb right at the muzzle though, compared to the Subsonic 40gn's 98ft-lb.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 05 Jul 2017, 7:25 am

You got me convinced. .will stick to the cheaper rounds. I really like the stingers but at 160 a brick they're a bit bloody exxy to. I'll have a go at the segmented rounds too :thumbsup:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 05 Jul 2017, 10:19 am

Very interesting replies thank you everyone :) Looks like the 32 gn stuff is more accurate and the lighter bullet is way above my pay grade anyway.

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jul 2017, 11:09 am

Wm.Traynor wrote:Very interesting replies thank you everyone :) Looks like the 32 gn stuff is more accurate and the lighter bullet is way above my pay grade anyway.

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

I like the Stinger for foxes or cats, but I haven't seen outstanding accuracy from it in any of my rifles. For smaller game I think it's more useful to put a conventional bullet right where I want it rather than risk putting a Stinger in the guts. The Velocitor works better for me if I need velocity - I can get them down to around 30mm at 50m off the bench.

Even when I tried all the "hyper velocity" ammo back in the eighties, the Stingers didn't work that great for me. There were only four I was aware of back then - Stinger, Lazer, Yellow Jacket, and something else in a silver box - maybe Expeditor or Exterminator or something like that. I found the Yellow Jackets grouped best but they didn't feed well in my semi-autos. I tried most of what ammo I could find (but I wasn't driving and the nearest ammo was Elders in Strathalbyn, 30kms away) and I ended up settling on Winchester Aussie Ammo for $180 a case.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by FuzzyM » 16 Dec 2017, 11:49 am

Got some today, I'll see how it goes. My mkii likes stingers, so this will be interesting.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 16 Dec 2017, 4:24 pm

I wasn't that impressed with the accuracy report on the CCI copper rounds.I've only tried Win. Power Points, Zs and CCI Velocitor in the rifle. Can get just under 1" groups (4 shots) at 50yds with the Velocitor and will give the Stingers a try when the LGS gets stock.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 17 Dec 2017, 6:29 am

The SK match and the Winchester HP are my favorite. The SK match at 50 is into less than an inch for as many shots as you like at 100 it still less than 75mm 9/10 times in about 10 mph wind. The Winchester will hit harder at the expense of loss of some accuracy. I feel if I can place a good shot with a 40gr at 1000 fps MV then its going to work on what it is intended for.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Dec 2017, 1:40 pm

Sounds a bit like a gimmick to me, rather just use a standard Win or CCI type lead 40gn pill, done the job pretty well for many years only costs around $5-7 or there abouts.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Cooper » 17 Dec 2017, 5:28 pm

I've tried the copper stuff. It is crap out of both my CZ 22s. I can buy 17hmr ammo for similar price. I wouldn't buy the Copper stuff again.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Dec 2017, 5:54 pm

I think it needs a clean bore, not one that's already been shooting lubed lead bullets, and it starts tumbling by around 60m for me so close-range only. It's a very different bullet to conventional lubricated lead so it doesn't like a bore that's coated with lube.
Also, the bullet offers zero expansion. I've recovered them from clay, dirt and rubber and the only damage is rifling grooves and scoring from sand and rocks.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 18 Dec 2017, 12:06 am

Remember the bushman at $3.50 a box.It went alright.With the stingers I always wondered how much you payed for the plastic container they come in.I used to refill them with bushmans
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 21 Dec 2017, 7:04 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Sounds a bit like a gimmick to me, rather just use a standard Win or CCI type lead 40gn pill, done the job pretty well for many years only costs around $5-7 or there abouts.

Yes, but, but, but ....California and lead ... Condors ... :sarcasm:

Sorry, I tend to get carried away. It's probably an option for people in lead-free states in the US.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics