25-06 twist rate

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: 25-06 twist rate

Post by Member-Deleted » 06 Aug 2017, 10:38 pm

Well got out in the wide open spaces for two days this weekend to set up the new swarovski on the 25-06 and tinker with more load finding and
boy what an eye opener grouping 2.5'' @ 400yrd only got to 400yrd run out of daylight on last day, but do expect grouping to open up beyond 400yrd
4-12x50 swarovski etched reticle , once load is developed visit swarovski ballistic caculator on line ,feed in info on ammo and it will calculate all you need to know
about that bullet
What i did find out was the height from sight to bore has to be exact,it took me two goes because it stated that .2'' was tolerable but its not
So once info was correct and got the calculations it was perfect out to the 400yrd
Next weekend i will tread from 400yrd into the unknown and hopfully have some luck on the way
Member-Deleted

Post by Gwion » 06 Aug 2017, 10:48 pm

Good stuff!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 06 Aug 2017, 11:00 pm

Mate i've never been known to shoot that good so its gota be the swaro (LOL)
Geez the glass is so clear and once you get used to the z3 etched reticle its a breeze, by the way it shoots as good as my 22-250 and handles a better breeze
Finally mate, Finally

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Gamerancher » 07 Aug 2017, 10:29 am

Mate, a 25cal 100gr bullet @ over 3000f/s will drop anything that breathes. ( Ask me how I know ;) )
Then you tell us the rifle shoots under 3" @ 400yds? Where is the problem? :unknown:
Go the 1/4 bore!!! :thumbsup:
Top shelf Euro optics, those that reckon their "better value" scopes are just as good have obviously never looked through any. :allegedly:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Aug 2017, 11:47 am

Yeah Gamerancher i hear you ,although the 1/4 bore is still new to me at present but she will be my third arm shortly
No problems yet with euro scope and rifle but had problems with another scope that come with the rifle as a package deal ( Hence the Finally,Finally bit )
Also had a few problems with bullet weight she only likes 75 -100gr anything over that opens up to 2'' or above @100yds at best
The reason i'm amazed with the 25-06 is that it seems about 50% of people with them say they're only getting around 1'' grouping @ 100yds with various ammo
If i do my bit i can put 5 shots into a clover leaf under the size of a ten cent piece

I'm getting average of 3232 fps with 51gr AR2209 with 91/2 rem primers
I have a zeiss 3-12x50 on my 22-250 but the swaro has the edge on sharpness and focus although the zeiss is still a very good scope
And yes if some people could take a look through a euro optic maybe they would put an extra few cents away each week just to have one i know i would again
As you stated ( ask me how i know ) So how do you know mate ?

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Gwion » 07 Aug 2017, 11:52 am

Stop talking about that bloody Swaro; you're making me anxious and look for things i can sell... :lol: :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Aug 2017, 12:43 pm

Come on mate chin up it's only a few cents extra per week and you've got one ( LOL)
G0 the''SWARO''
cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Gamerancher » 07 Aug 2017, 1:55 pm

How do I know? Many thousands of rounds at many critters from rabbits to scrub bulls and a bunch more at metallic silhouettes when I first got into it.
If you want to talk versatility, from "hot" 75gr H.P "varmint" loads @ 3600f/s that literally vaporized rabbits, 100gr spitzers @ 3300f/s that would stop anything with hair or fur to 120gr loads that never failed to knock down 500m silhouette rams. What's not to like about the 25 calibre. Mine was a custom built rifle on an L61R Sako action in .257 Roberts. 1 in 10" twist, 26" barrel if you were wondering. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Aug 2017, 2:12 pm

Yeah gamerancher mine is factory sako A7 roughtech range 26'' barrel
You say you shoot 120gr how well do they shoot ?
Mine doesn't like over100gr to much
I mainly shoot wild dogs and scrubbers

Your rifle sounds impressive and i'm starting to like the 1/4 bore as well

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Gamerancher » 07 Aug 2017, 2:56 pm

Stupidly retired it and built a new silhouette rifle on the action. Didn't get away enough at the time and got bitten by silhouette bug.
The 120's shot well enough for the off-hand rams @ 500m, used to hit more of them than 200m chickens. :unknown:
I ran a bunch of 115gr Nosler partions through it on a pig hunt once. Nothing long range but the effect was pretty impressive. Hit one 70-80kg boar front on in the chest at about 20 yards, bullet went diagonally clear through him and took his off his back leg at the hock. Done an "autopsy" on him, man the damage inside was incredible, no wonder he went down instantly.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Aug 2017, 5:39 pm

Not bad pig wouldn't have felt a thing
Actually i normally use 22-250 for wild dogs and 303 for scrubbers but after the weekend i may just swing to 0ne gun for all @25-06
22-250 is ideal for dogs but doesn't like wind way out its too much messing around trying to compensate in blustery conditions in hilly country the 25-06 is less affected
shooting at 400yrd with 15 knot cross wind needs bugger all compensation heaps less than the 22-250
So will have a good think on 25-06 as a one gun option
I would have liked to have shot 117gr but that isn't going to happen unless i rebarrel and that isn't going to happen anytime soon

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics