Hornady .22WMR 45gn FTX

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Hornady .22WMR 45gn FTX

Post by YoungBuck » 04 Aug 2017, 3:41 pm

Anyone have any experience with this ammo for hunting (just pests, mainly foxes)?
There's a GS on the way to some of my usual hunting grounds where it's pretty cheap (as far as .22wmr ammo goes) and I'm interested in the slightly heavier projectile to see how it goes.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Hornady .22WMR 45gn FTX

Post by YoungBuck » 07 Aug 2017, 1:09 pm

Well by the deafening silence I'd say its safe to say no one has used these rounds before! :violin:
Will buy a pack next time and advise how they go.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 07 Aug 2017, 1:41 pm

Sorry...been away and just saw this. I've been using CCI Maxi Mag 40gr in my Lithgow and they are surprisingly accurate for what is essentially a budget conscious round at $195 per 500. I'm yet to try some of the premium brands but will try a box of the Hornady and report back the results if you can do the same when you have time :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by YoungBuck » 07 Aug 2017, 3:26 pm

No worries Brett will do. The Maxi Mag are also my go-to ammo, they group quite well for me in my Ruger. Hornady V-Max 30gr also group really well.
Then there's Highlander 40gr and Maxi Mag+V 30gr that perform terribly.

Update: Just as I was typing up this post, I'm reading that Hornady 45gr are personal defense rounds for .22wmr hand guns and can see they only have a muzzle velocity of 1000fps... no wonder no ones used them before. Will probably give these a miss now...
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Aug 2017, 5:02 pm

YoungBuck wrote:No worries Brett will do. The Maxi Mag are also my go-to ammo, they group quite well for me in my Ruger. Hornady V-Max 30gr also group really well.
Then there's Highlander 40gr and Maxi Mag+V 30gr that perform terribly.

Update: Just as I was typing up this post, I'm reading that Hornady 45gr are personal defense rounds for .22wmr hand guns and can see they only have a muzzle velocity of 1000fps... no wonder no ones used them before. Will probably give these a miss now...

Is that 1000fps out of a rifle barrel or a handgun?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 08 Aug 2017, 9:35 am

bladeracer wrote:[Is that 1000fps out of a rifle barrel or a handgun?

Good question, it didn't specify.
Bugger it - will buy a pack and see how we go.
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Granting » 09 Aug 2017, 2:51 pm

brett1868 wrote:Sorry...been away and just saw this.

Not good enough, Brett!

Your responses are expected immediately! :lol:
Tikka T3 Camo Stainless 30-06 w/ Zeiss Duralyt 3–12x50
Sako A11 22-250
Remington M514 22LR
Granting
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by SendIt » 09 Aug 2017, 3:06 pm

YoungBuck wrote:Well by the deafening silence I'd say its safe to say no one has used these rounds before! :violin:

Ha.

About the rounds, I haven't used it personally. Just on specs though I suspect most haven't either as it's a bit of an odd choice for hunting.

FTX is intended as a self defence round. Heavy, slow as a result, stumpy and designed to expand immediately. Other irrelevant things like "low flash" powder, nickel cases etc. but that's neither here nor there.

25gr NTX is Hornadys' 22WMR varmint round. They have a muzzle velocity of 2,200 fps compared to 1,000 fps for the FTX. They'll shoot flatter and perform better at distance, and are tipped for a little extra penetration before expansion.

Not saying they can't work, you're fairly outside the box on typical hunting rounds here is all.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by YoungBuck » 09 Aug 2017, 5:38 pm

SendIt wrote:25gr NTX is Hornadys' 22WMR varmint round. They have a muzzle velocity of 2,200 fps compared to 1,000 fps for the FTX. They'll shoot flatter and perform better at distance, and are tipped for a little extra penetration before expansion.

Yes, did read it's a SD round, I'm still interested to see how they go. Also still yet to determine whether the 1000fps is based on a pistol or rifle, I suspect pistol.
Getting off topic - but I'm not keen using anything < 30gr for anything larger than a bunny and my wmr is generally for foxing.
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics