9mm Ammo

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

9mm Ammo

Post by chewbacca » 15 Sep 2017, 4:40 pm

Anyone got any preferences to 9mm Ammo?

There seems to be many types of 9mm ammo available but I am unsure of what the advantage of each does.

Especially brands... Is one brand better than another or is one brand "to avoid at all cost" compared to another?
chewbacca
Recruit
Recruit

-

Re: 9mm Ammo

Post by bladeracer » 15 Sep 2017, 5:38 pm

chewbacca wrote:Anyone got any preferences to 9mm Ammo?

There seems to be many types of 9mm ammo available but I am unsure of what the advantage of each does.

Especially brands... Is one brand better than another or is one brand "to avoid at all cost" compared to another?

I would expect anybody shooting pistols to load their own just due to cost.
When I was shooting IPSC a comp was a 100rd minimum.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cryptic » 15 Sep 2017, 6:17 pm

Different strokes for different folks. Some guns thrive on certain brands others not so well.
Also some people prefer different projectile weight and projectile type dependant on competitions.
Starting out I would try a few different brands to find one you are comfortable with.
Some good all rounders are the round nose or hollow point and work into the others when you fine tune the technical stuff later.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 15 Sep 2017, 6:31 pm

I roll my own and have done for a long time so I can tune the load for the pistol. What sort of competition are you planning to shoot as that'll determine what can be suggested. What pistol do you have, what range you shooting at? There's a few of us on here that are members of the St Mary's club if your in the area you can possibly try some of the reloads we use to see if it works for you.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics