.22lr thru .22wmr

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

.22lr thru .22wmr

Post by Daddybang » 28 Sep 2017, 8:54 am

Hey fellas has anybody got practical experience using .22lr thru a .22wmr?
If so what were the results?.
The reason I ask is that I was with a mate and he was using the magnum and I had the lr he ran out of ammo and wanted to use my lr rounds. We decided not to as neither one of us had done it before and we stuck with the "only use correct ammo in ya rifle" concept.

I know they have different specs etc ?
Thanks in advance :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: .22lr thru .22wmr

Post by GLS_1956 » 28 Sep 2017, 11:22 am

My 22WMRs are three handguns and one rifle. Two of the handguns are Ruger Single-Sixes and the third is a micro-revolver I carry concealed when nothing else can be hidden, the rifle is a Ruger 77/2Mag. When I got my first Single-Six I placed a 22LR into one of the chambers of the magnum's cylinder, out of curiosity. The way the round sat in the chamber made me doubt that the firing pin would even hit the rim to set off the cartridge. I never tried it and I have no intention of trying it.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by YoungBuck » 28 Sep 2017, 12:57 pm

I own both calibres, have never done it.
Can only go on what i have read but the LR will shoot through the WMR, though there is risk involved as the width of the LR is actually a fraction smaller than the WMR and I believe you risk blow back from gasses getting past the casing, among other issues.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 28 Sep 2017, 1:24 pm

A quick search using the intrusive search engine from hell, found me this

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/02/foghorn/ask-foghorn-can-you-fire-22lr-ammunition-through-a-22-wmr-chamber/

Now I'm not even going to say it could damage the firearm, but I'm pretty sure that the accuracy would be unacceptable.

Saw a guy shooting his Sako Quad in .17 HMR who was very unhappy until he found the had the .22 WMR barrel on. He looked a bit shamefaced.

Funny thing is that earlier that same morning someone had managed to get a few things mixed up and fire 7mm-08 through his .30-06. It was not a good day for some people. :(
:unknown:
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by galaxy » 28 Sep 2017, 2:37 pm

Yeah, done it in the past for giggles.
The case will be blown out and cracked, but otherwise no ill effects. Was in a Ruger Single Six.
Accuracy was about the same.
But my favourite was a 22 acorn pushing an air rifle slug.
galaxy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 28 Sep 2017, 2:41 pm

YoungBuck wrote:I own both calibres, have never done it.
Can only go on what i have read but the LR will shoot through the WMR, though there is risk involved as the width of the LR is actually a fraction smaller than the WMR and I believe you risk blow back from gasses getting past the casing, among other issues.

Would the .22lr generate enough pressure for blowback to be a problem?. As it's accepted for younger fellas to do silly stuff would ya mind giving it a go and posting ya results. :sarcasm: :lol: :lol:

BRNO_Bigot wrote:A quick search using the intrusive search engine from hell, found me this

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/02/foghorn/ask-foghorn-can-you-fire-22lr-ammunition-through-a-22-wmr-chamber/

Now I'm not even going to say it could damage the firearm, but I'm pretty sure that the accuracy would be unacceptable.

Saw a guy shooting his Sako Quad in .17 HMR who was very unhappy until he found the had the .22 WMR barrel on. He looked a bit shamefaced.

Funny thing is that earlier that same morning someone had managed to get a few things mixed up and fire 7mm-08 through his .30-06. It was not a good day for some people. :(
:unknown:

Thanks for the link. He seems to think it would be catastrophic but a lot of the comments seem to contradict him? Although that shottie definitely has some issues.

Think we made the right decision not trying it. :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Sep 2017, 3:06 pm

Bloke I knew years ago shot them in his savage U/O if he ran out of the WMR ammo.
He said it was OK. Not sure myself.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 28 Sep 2017, 8:12 pm

Daddybang wrote:Hey fellas has anybody got practical experience using .22lr thru a .22wmr?
If so what were the results?.
The reason I ask is that I was with a mate and he was using the magnum and I had the lr he ran out of ammo and wanted to use my lr rounds. We decided not to as neither one of us had done it before and we stuck with the "only use correct ammo in ya rifle" concept.

I know they have different specs etc ?
Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

I tried it many years ago. Split the cases was about all. Never thought to see if they were accurate. Not a lot of point to it that I can see. .22LR through a .17HMR might be better but you'd get more gas released from the split case. Pulling .22LR bullets and loading jacketed .224" in front of the charged case works well.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 29 Sep 2017, 9:08 am

I've done it plenty of times when I was a kid. The 22LR cases almost always split then fail to extract. It's a bad idea.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Daddybang » 29 Sep 2017, 9:43 am

Thanks for the replies fellas. Didn't think it was a great idea. :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics