.577 Enfield Snyder rounds

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

.577 Enfield Snyder rounds

Post by Wal » 19 Oct 2017, 11:28 am

Has anyone ever come across any rounds for an Enfield converted .577 Snyder? Had one come into local gun shop and am trying to negotiate a sale and would love to put a couple of shots through it
Wal
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: .577 Enfield Snyder rounds

Post by TheDude » 19 Oct 2017, 11:42 am

You won’t get factory loaded rounds but can get brass.

Bertram make brass. Places like Rebel Gunworks in brisbane have them for about $7 a case.

You’ll need to slug the bore to determine projectile size. Can be anything from 0.575” up. I use a 0.590” 480gr CBE mold with pure lead but could still go a bit bigger in my Nepalese snider.

For dies I use a ch4d set to just size back to 0.590”. The Lee sized will size back to spec which is way under size and overworking the brass.

Load is large rifle primer, 75gr 2Fg wano black powder. A card wad, a lube cookie, another card wad and then the projectile hand seated on top.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Tripod » 19 Oct 2017, 12:49 pm

And don't forget the dies for it don't fit 7/8 presses
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by No1Mk3 » 19 Oct 2017, 5:35 pm

G'day Wal,
Check which Mark of breech is in the rifle, if it is a Mk I then have it checked by a gunsmith before firing, they were not known as "the widowmaker" for nothing. It should be stamped on top of the block, but if not they are easy to tell, the Mk I breech is free to swing open, the Mk II has a small spring loaded detent ball in the rear of the action and a "spot" on the rear face of the block, the Mk III action has a spring loaded button on the side of the lifting lug of the block. Any .58 hollow base minie will fire well, as the base will obturate to fill the rifling, I use the Lee #90476 575-472 mould, as it casts closest to the original military weight of 480g without buying custom. (Must say the CBE mould TheDude uses is just magnificent, not that much dearer really, and Australian!) This projectile shoots well in all of my Sniders and Enfields with 75g 2F Swiss, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wal » 20 Oct 2017, 8:14 pm

Thanks for the info. I know if I can buy it, it will be a challenge. Only want to fire it once!!
Wal
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics