Buffalo river 135gr hollow points be good on pigs?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Buffalo river 135gr hollow points be good on pigs?

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 02 Nov 2017, 1:43 pm

Iv bought a box of the buffalo river 308 with seirra 135gr hollow points to try because i like the price of the 480 packs, will they be good on pigs? I have a ruger 77 mkII
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Buffalo river 135gr hollow points be good on pigs?

Post by Mitch » 02 Nov 2017, 2:33 pm

They will be fine dor pigs
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by MalleeFarmer » 02 Nov 2017, 3:10 pm

Should be good. Theyre explosive though. Make sure you avoid shoulders and quartering shots and theyll do a good job. They’re good poision on goats.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 02 Nov 2017, 3:28 pm

They go good. Also the Federal130gr Speer HP’s go good also.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 02 Nov 2017, 3:31 pm

What would you fellas prefer on pigs? Buffalo river also load seirra game king 165gr, but i cant find anywhere local that i can buy a 20pack, only seem to be able to get them in the 480 round ammo cans. And im a bit shy about buying that many before i know how they group out of my rifle
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by albat » 02 Nov 2017, 4:41 pm

My tikka shoots 130gr winchester super x 130gr hollow point in a ragged hole at 100m drops pigs with authourity at the distances i shoot em under 150m usually , and they are on special at $24 dollars where i buy them
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by MalleeFarmer » 02 Nov 2017, 7:01 pm

Personally id prefer the 165 but my pet load for my .308 is a 165gr SST over 44.5gr of AR2208. The 135s will Do the job well though. The 165s will be more forgiving if you have quartering shots that need to penetrate shoulder or shots that hit bone.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Nov 2017, 8:32 pm

The 130gn Feds I use on em seem to work fine so can't see who the 135s won't..
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by straightshooter » 03 Nov 2017, 6:42 am

Kelsey Cooter wrote: will they be good on pigs?

You will eventually find that just about any kind of projectile out of a 308 will be "good on pigs".
All you have to do is make sure the hole is in the right place, otherwise you may be disappointed.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bear foot bowhunter » 05 Nov 2017, 12:33 am

I went from using highland or som such 155gr having pas throughs and as such shooting two pigs with one shot ( mostly wonded ) to the BR and couldnt be happier stick one of thes in the boiler room it wont pass through but it'll drop them where they stand
bear foot bowhunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by BBJ » 15 Nov 2017, 1:38 pm

Kelsey Cooter wrote:What would you fellas prefer on pigs? Buffalo river also load seirra game king 165gr, but i cant find anywhere local that i can buy a 20pack, only seem to be able to get them in the 480 round ammo cans. And im a bit shy about buying that many before i know how they group out of my rifle

I'll put in my 2c for what I'd prefer, just food for thought. Pig can be tough critters and if you're leading towards the lighter/more fragile side of things as far as ammo goes shot placement is pretty important, as the guys have said.

The problem some hollow points (depending on what they're designed for) have is poor weight retention, if they hit a bone or even a good solid muscle at velocity they basically come apart into a handful of shrapnel and you create a big messy wound, instead of a deep, solid channel . Especially match ammo, this should really never be used for hunting.

"Hunting" projectiles will usually have thicker jackets so they hold together better, soft points or ballistic tips so they penetrate before they start expanding and transfer the energy where you want it while holding together. Top shelf bullets often have the jackets and core bonded together for even better weight retention, but that's overkill for pigs (and they're expensive).

Bullet construction is as, if not more important than weight, I'd say.

For me, choosing the right bullet includes allowing for a bit of margin of error.

As the guys have said a .308 is no pop gun, 100+gr of lead out of it will be packing a punch. Peg any pig in the noggin with one and they'll drop, in reality though you can't always do a perfect head shot, range, movement, direction the animal is facing, human error, etc. all come into it. So a little extra allowance never hurts to ensure consistently clean and humane kills. IMO.

Game Kings are definitely a good, and there are more to choose from than just the 165gr GK's.

125gr Pro-Hunters, 150 gr. SPT Pro-Hunters or 150 gr. SBT Game Kings are all lighter options for a bit less recoil while still being definitely enough for porkie and his mates.

My 2c :drinks:
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Lumbajak » 11 Jan 2018, 9:45 am

Chronos wrote:They go good. Also the Federal130gr Speer HP’s go good also.

Chronos

Another vote for the Speer 130’s hp they are devastating...
Roll your own!

Brno 22
Anschutz 222
96 Mauser 6.5x55
Tikka sporter 6.5x55
Sako 85 Bavarian carbine 6.5x55
7600 carbine 308
HTR 300 Win Mag
Lumbajak
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Col » 11 Jan 2018, 1:31 pm

FWIW I have found the BR 135gr a bloody good on pigs out of my Tikka Superlite. Went straight through a 30 kg pig and belted his brother behind him as well. So I couldnt be happier, this was from about 100 yds. Too heavy for roos as they pass straight through and ole roo doesnt realise he is dead until he hops a few meters.
Col
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Jan 2018, 8:03 pm

I'm guessing the Hornady 130gr SPs would be OK too?
I just loaded up a box to test in my old 3006.

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/3 ... 0-gr-sp#!/
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics