Favorite type of projectile e.g. SP/HP/FMJ

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: Favorite type of projectile e.g. SP/HP/FMJ

Post by Rod_outbak » 03 Mar 2018, 10:12 am

For most of the animals I shoot, I go for the V-Max type of polymer-tipped projectiles. I initially trialed Nosler Ballistic-Tip range, but found they were a bit too heavy construction for most of my targets, and found the lighter varmint-style polymer-tip projectile seems to work better on most Australian game.

In the .223, we mostly use either 55Gn V-max or Nosler Varmagedden.

In the .243, the Hornady 87Gn V-Max has a slightly higher BC than the venerable 87Gn BTHP, and hits VERY hard out past 350 metres.
[And you can buy factory loads for these from 2 manufacturers at present - Hornady and OSA/Buffalo River]

In the 7mm-08, I pretty much solely run 120Gn V-max. A mate nailed a running large pig at ~130 metres with this rifle a few months back, and dropped it like a schoolcase. I wouldnt hesitate to shoot larger game with this projectile; it seems to be pretty destructive regardless.

In .308, for small game, I tend to run either the 110 V-Max, or the Speer 130Gn HP projectiles, if I'm shooting lighter game(Roos, cats, rabbits, dogs, crows, etc).
For heavier game(goats, pigs, feral bulls, etc), I tend to run either 150Gn Nosler Ballistic Tips, or the Barnes T-TSX in 165Gn.

Most of the targets are Pigs, dogs, cats, rabbits and occasionally; feral roos, feral goats and feral bulls.
[I do have a bucketload of other projectile weights and styles to experiment with at some stage, but sadly, not enough target cats to raise the all -important giggle factor...]

My mate who runs a Tikka T3 in .260Rem, almost exclusively uses 95Gn V-Max when he's shooting, and they seems to be very predictable over distance, and hit hard.

My experience to date..

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 03 Mar 2018, 10:15 am

So this is going to sound weird... I love shooting centrefires, 22, 30, etc. Shotguns, eh, so-so.

BUT: my favourite projectile is a 12ga slug. The only thing that comes close in a centrefire is a 500gr 45-70 slug.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Mar 2018, 10:25 am

juststarting wrote:BUT: my favourite projectile is a 12ga slug.

Yep, a modern version of a blunderbuss.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 03 Mar 2018, 3:01 pm

If we are getting into Brands like Rod_outbak did. I am a Sierra and Berger fan. I have a couple of Hornady V max just cos.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Rod_outbak » 07 Mar 2018, 6:05 am

...Sorry; didnt mean to start naming brands, but most of the projectiles I prefer are polymer-tipped, and they seem to come in 3 flavours; target, hunting and varmint.

By naming the brands, I was detailing a bit more which style of polymer tip was the preferred choice for my shooting.

Is a polymer-tip just a fancy version of a Spitzer, or is it a variant of a HP?
[I lean towards Spitzer, myself]

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 07 Mar 2018, 10:07 am

Rod_outbak wrote:Is a polymer-tip just a fancy version of a Spitzer, or is it a variant of a HP?
[I lean towards Spitzer, myself]

While the bullet is basically a hollow-point with a plug in it, often the poly tip is used as an expansion initiator so I tend to think of it more as a soft-point than a hollow-point.
Spitzer just means pointed so it could have any kind of point, open-tip, FMJ, even a steel penetrator can all be spitzer bullets.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 07 Mar 2018, 3:08 pm

Cast lead. What other kind is there?
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics