.22wmr fmj

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

.22wmr fmj

Post by Daddybang » 15 Nov 2017, 7:32 am

Has anyone used winchester superx fmj in .22wmr?. Picked up a hundred yesterday as the lgs was out of my usual and was wondering how they shoot (haven't had the chance to see for myself and probably won't for a couple of days) only be used on small critters cats etc. :unknown:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: .22wmr fmj

Post by YoungBuck » 15 Nov 2017, 9:31 am

Sorry mate, never even seen that ammo before.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 15 Nov 2017, 11:47 am

YoungBuck wrote:Sorry mate, never even seen that ammo before.

Yeah mate I was in the same boat til yesterday!! :lol:

Now ya can say ya have!! :drinks:

20171115_113223.jpg
20171115_113223.jpg (524.38 KiB) Viewed 6614 times

20171115_113249.jpg
20171115_113249.jpg (508.4 KiB) Viewed 6614 times
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 21 Nov 2017, 4:46 pm

So I finally got a chance to throw 25 of these thru the Stirling and not one would extract after firing!!!!! :thumbsdown: hard hitting rounds but useless to me as they just won't extract. Put a hundred win45 subs thru and twenty win hp and every one of them fed and extracted with no dramas :unknown: looks like the extractors on the bolt just slide off the rim :unknown: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 21 Nov 2017, 4:56 pm

I have had problems with Winchesters not extracting unfired rounds but not fired. In my rifle they must get stuck in the lands.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Daddybang » 21 Nov 2017, 5:52 pm

sungazer wrote:I have had problems with Winchesters not extracting unfired rounds but not fired. In my rifle they must get stuck in the lands.

Yeah mate I've never had a problem with any rounds thru the magnum but these fmj just won't extract!!!! Looking at the rim I'm not sure it's my eyes or they are a bit different :unknown: that's OK but.... I'll just keep using the subs and hp's :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 21 Nov 2017, 6:00 pm

hey daddybang try federal 40 gr fmj and 40 gr sp. my weihrauch 22 mag shoots well with them.what's your usual ammo you use ? i tried super x and they grouped wide at 50. tried cci as well and they were ok. been trying to find s&b cause i've read they group well, anyone tried highland ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 21 Nov 2017, 6:07 pm

bigrich wrote:hey daddybang try federal 40 gr fmj and 40 gr sp. my weihrauch 22 mag shoots well with them.what's your usual ammo you use ? i tried super x and they grouped wide at 50. tried cci as well and they were ok. been trying to find s&b cause i've read they group well, anyone tried highland ?

Hey bigrich
I usually use win 45 subs in a black packet and I can't fault'em I'm restricted to about 120 m on my block so they still have enough behind them to take cats and toads
:lol: :lol: Will give the ones ya suggested a go!! :drinks: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 21 Nov 2017, 6:19 pm

ah yeh, i know the subs your talking about, what's accuracy like with them ? lot of good ammo for 22mag these days, i reackon it's cause of 17 hmr development. latest sporting shooter mag has a review on a browning 22 mag doing rediculous group sizes. 15mm to 19mm at 100 for 5 shots with s&b 40 gr hp !
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 21 Nov 2017, 6:29 pm

bigrich wrote:ah yeh, i know the subs your talking about, what's accuracy like with them ? lot of good ammo for 22mag these days, i reackon it's cause of 17 hmr development. latest sporting shooter mag has a review on a browning 22 mag doing rediculous group sizes. 15mm to 19mm at 100 for 5 shots with s&b 40 gr hp !

The subs I can put a five round mag into a fifty cent piece off a very basic rest(tree or anthill kinda thing!) with a 6×40 ao nikko sterling mount master scope at a hundred meters so I like'em :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 21 Nov 2017, 6:37 pm

I used to use them 20 odd years ago. Don't remember ever having any problems with them to be honest
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 21 Nov 2017, 6:47 pm

geez aside from the price with subs i really don't need a 22 lr. i should give them a try. thanks fellas. ya heard about those "hawke" rifle scopes that are specifically for rimfires ? any opinions ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 24 Nov 2017, 2:22 pm

bigrich wrote:geez aside from the price with subs i really don't need a 22 lr. i should give them a try. thanks fellas. ya heard about those "hawke" rifle scopes that are specifically for rimfires ? any opinions ?

Never heard of them mate but I use cheap scopes for rf. This is a three shot group at 100yards using the subs and a $100 dollar( 10 years ago) nikkon sterling mountmaster 6× 40ao!!! :drinks: :drinks: ps I know the comp and paper punchers will laugh at me calling this a group but its a cane toad head at that distance!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :drinks:

Ok now I'll post the pic!! :lol:
20171124_134633.jpg
20171124_134633.jpg (484.53 KiB) Viewed 6502 times
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 24 Nov 2017, 2:36 pm

for a 22wmr I would say that's a great group at 100, I'd actually go as far as saying I've seen a lot worse for a lot better round and rifle
and I like the stirling rifles, my uncle was mad about them in 22wmr and shot everything with it including a couple of fallow,
pity when he died his girlfriend was such an arse or I would have it now
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 24 Nov 2017, 2:52 pm

marksman wrote:for a 22wmr I would say that's a great group at 100, I'd actually go as far as saying I've seen a lot worse for a lot better round and rifle
and I like the stirling rifles, my uncle was mad about them in 22wmr and shot everything with it including a couple of fallow,
pity when he died his girlfriend was such an arse or I would have it now

Thanks marksman!! :drinks: :drinks:

I probably am a bit of a harsh judg of myself but I see the groups the boys put up on here and can see I gotta bit of improving to do!! :lol:
I've put around 1500 rounds thru the Stirling and love it!! For $120 I can't fault the rifle(done nothing to it other than the scope)
:drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 Nov 2017, 6:21 am

that's a pretty good group daddybang . i'm only just back into shooting after a long break and that's about the size group i get at 50with a 22 mag weihrauch shooting 40 gr feds. going out to the range this sunday for a play, gunna have to try to get some of those subs to try. just put a nico sterling mountmaster AO 3-9x40 on a cz 452 2e.it was $95 at my local GS. lightened the trigger adjustment as well . the scope i had on this rifle was a "sabre" that came with it. someone at the range was three benches up and shooting a large caliber with a muzzle break and i could watch the cross hairs in my scope jump ! lol. thought a better scope might help my accuracy
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 04 Dec 2017, 10:06 pm

hey what are veiws on cleaning 22 mag barrels ? after putting 50-60 rounds through my rifle groups with cci 30 grain v max tightned right up. 3 shots touching at 50, then put 2 shots through same hole at 50. have heard NOT to clean rimfire barrels to get tight groups and accuracy. any opinions ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 05 Dec 2017, 6:56 am

bigrich wrote:hey what are veiws on cleaning 22 mag barrels ? after putting 50-60 rounds through my rifle groups with cci 30 grain v max tightned right up. 3 shots touching at 50, then put 2 shots through same hole at 50. have heard NOT to clean rimfire barrels to get tight groups and accuracy. any opinions ?

I run a patch covered in inox thru mine every couple of hundred rounds. Doesn't seem to make any difference in accuracy. But I'm no comp shooter either so that may be a different scenario. !! :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 05 Dec 2017, 3:47 pm

yeh i'm not into comps, like to challenge myself and improve my skills but. clean one shot kills are my goal, practice at the range is just fun. what you responded with DB sort of confirms my suspicions about rimfire accuracy but. will see how it goes at range next time. not gunna get much of a chance to get out bush till x-mas
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 06 Dec 2017, 6:26 pm

i weakened. i cleaned it :lol: think i'll be patient and put a few more rounds through it, see if it settles down a bit. probably hasn't even seen 300 rounds yet
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics