Movies and reloading ammunition

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Movies and reloading ammunition

Post by wrenchman » 18 Nov 2017, 10:07 am

My son and I were watching the movie Wind River and the star was reloading some 45-70 rounds for a guide gun, my son pointed out that he didin't crimp the rounds. I told him that's something only a reloader would know.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Re: movies and reloading

Post by Wombat » 18 Nov 2017, 6:52 pm

Its a bit like how many times a Pistol/Shotgun or Rifle gets charged in the movies. Once or twice I've watched a movie and heard a character rack a shotgun 5 or 6 times.........Just as well they have magic pudding magazines.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 18 Nov 2017, 7:21 pm

...or lack of recoil.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 24 Nov 2017, 6:01 pm

wrenchman wrote:My son and I were watching the movie Wind River and the star was reloading some 45-70 rounds for a guide gun, my son pointed out that he didin't crimp the rounds. I told him that's something only a reloader would know.

Good movie.
Bigjobss

Re: Movies and reloading ammunition

Post by Bourt » 27 Nov 2017, 11:40 am

Sounds like the kid has promise :thumbsup:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Tripod » 27 Nov 2017, 2:06 pm

I haven't seen the movie but if they were jacketed projectiles then you can set the seating die to crimp them at the same time.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Sydor » 27 Nov 2017, 7:17 pm

I sit and crimp .357Magnum in the same RCBS die.
Sydor
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 27 Nov 2017, 7:31 pm

Wombat wrote:Its a bit like how many times a Pistol/Shotgun or Rifle gets charged in the movies. Once or twice I've watched a movie and heard a character rack a shotgun 5 or 6 times.........Just as well they have magic pudding magazines.

I farkin hate when they do that.... :thumbsdown: :evil:.... FFS all it would cost them is a carton of piss to get advice on how guns actually work.... :crazy: ..... :wtf:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by marksman » 03 Dec 2017, 11:12 am

I watched the movie the other night and enjoyed it
the reloading dies were hornady (I think) I don't have any experience with them but maybe they are like rcbs and can crimp as you seat :unknown:
it was jacketed projies they were using
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 28 Dec 2017, 9:26 am

Wombat wrote:Its a bit like how many times a Pistol/Shotgun or Rifle gets charged in the movies. Once or twice I've watched a movie and heard a character rack a shotgun 5 or 6 times.........Just as well they have magic pudding magazines.

The charging handle on a rifle usually needs a good half dozen pumps as well :lol:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Wobble » 18 Jan 2018, 9:37 am

Has anyone noticed too you can pump a shotgun as many times as you like without it ejecting a cartridge when you're standing around in a car park or in the back of a van?

Apparently they're smart, they only put the cartridges through when you're in the bank robbing it :lol:
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by AngrySox » 24 Jan 2018, 9:46 pm

I work in film and media, I'm also a gun owner (pretty evident by being a member here, still need sontrolling threads) I once told someone on set that no sane person keeps there guns under the mattress, especially a loaded one, they just laughed and told me that opening a gun safe isn't sexy. The theatrical armourer on set just shook his head and said that no one cares, and his job is to make sure they don't look down the barrel.
T3 CTR .308 | Ruger Scout .223 | Sako Quad | Howa 6.5CM | Glock 17 9mm | CZ Shadow 9mm | and a couple of others...
AngrySox
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics