6.5x55 vs 6.5 creedmoor

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: 6.5x55 vs 6.5 creedmoor

Post by sungazer » 22 Feb 2018, 12:29 pm

The online barrel life calculator that I have looked at only goes by what type of powder different heating coefficients the qty of powder and the bore size. Pressure doesn't come into the equation as far as I know.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigrich » 22 Feb 2018, 3:21 pm

hey GR i didn't mean to "******" modern improvements, but i am a bit cynical about the motivation at times of the american arms industry. if i came off sounding a bit over the top in my humble opinion i appologize. i love old world type stuff and people that know me wouldn't be supprised if i went on a hunt with a muzzle loader. just having a C.O.C.D moment and a couple of beers.
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 23 Feb 2018, 7:56 am

It's all good mate, I suffer from the very same thing. In the sh!t at the moment with family 'cause I sent an email basically telling them to pull their heads out of their arse! :lol:

I built a Creedmoor for the reduced recoil and muzzle blast that it produces with the loads that I require for silhouette, the efficiency of the cartridge is what does that.
The inherent accuracy that goes with just about any 6.5mm is also why I chose to build a rifle in the chambering, as well as having thousands of Lapua 6.5mm projectiles on hand.
My choice had nothing to do with wanting to join a fad. The cartridge has now been around for more than 11 years, new in terms of rifle chamberings, but hardly "latest thing".
The cartridge was designed originally for long range, high power National Matches in the U.S. with "off the shelf" competition grade ammo available as well as published data to replicate the factory loadings. It performs very well in that arena, always appearing in the winners circle since its' introduction. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 23 Feb 2018, 3:23 pm

yeh GR, have heard 6.5 CM was primarally designed as a target shooters round, and a mate of mine keeps rambling like a relgious nut about the 6mm - 7mm "golden mean" of projectile efficiancy. i think the mauser brothers may have even had something to do with the research behind that. looking at it though, from 243, 6 mm rem, 6.5's, 7mm's with 7mm rem mag as well they are all known for being inherently accurate by design. by the way, C.O.C.D stands for cranky old c@nt disorder ! :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 24 Feb 2018, 9:33 am

any other 6.5 feed back ? there is a 6.5x57 and a bigger one again i think . opinions anyone ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 26 Feb 2018, 8:20 am

Yeah mate, I know what C.O.C.D means, I've had it for a while now. :lol:

I used to use a 6.5 x 57 A.I. in a 1 in 8" twist barrel for silly-wet shooting. I ran it hard and fast and it was a ripper. I used to shoot a 155gr Sierra MK on top of 50gr of 2213 @ 2900f/s that would group 1.5" at 500m. I ran 120 gr bullets for the shorter distances and they were doing about 3000 f/s. Needless to say, she was a throat burner. Had it re-chambered 3 times to overcome the erosion. I still have the barrel and although there's no rifling left in the first 3 inches it still shoots the lighter bullets quite accurately. Good long range hunting round as well. :thumbsup: ( However, the action now sports a 7mm-08 barrel.) :drinks:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 27 Feb 2018, 4:44 pm

6.5x57 AI sounds like a beast alright GR. another european hot rod is the 5.6x57 RWS . wonder what barrel life is like with that ? one of the reasons i like "older" design calibres, is a lot of them aren't too harsh on barrels and such. having said that i am going to start handloading soon, firstly for 6.5x55. been buying norma vulkan 156 gr at gun world for $43 a box and building up on the good brass. shoots good out of my 70 winchester, has a MAB barrel on it. flattens goats REAL well . got any advice /loads you can recommend for 6.5 ? particularly interested in projectiles. want something that expands well on pigs and goats
Attachments
IMG_0089[1].JPG
best 3 shot group at 100 out of my 6.5x55 on the weekend at ripley
IMG_0089[1].JPG (1.19 MiB) Viewed 7134 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 02 Mar 2018, 11:07 am

For hunting with 6.5's I like a 120gr Ballistic tip for soft-skinned critters and the Sierra 140gr Gameking is hard to beat on bigger stuff.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 02 Mar 2018, 1:57 pm

thanks GR, have been told game kings are a good general purpose round. haven't heard any feedback on norma projectiles mate ? cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 02 Mar 2018, 7:35 pm

Sorry, can't afford Norma factory loads. :lol: :drinks:
As you have previously stated, the Europeans do know their sh!t though. I'd go off what usage Norma recommend :thumbsup: .
All of mine are "roll your own".
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 02 Mar 2018, 8:49 pm

was refering to just the norma projectiles. probably aren't easy to get in oz anyway. cost and accuracy improvement are a reason i'm looking into reloading, i have a rifle in 22 hornet which is ridiculously expensive on factory ammo, but real cheap to reload. thanks for advice on the projectiles but , :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 06 Apr 2018, 4:33 am

A couple of years ago I would have bought a 6.5x55 or even a 260 Rem over a Creedmoor. But the way the Creedmoor has taken off in recent years . . . Never mind it's a more efficient cartridge with a short action and inherent accuracy, I've been looking online and visiting gun shops recently to see what sort of ammo, rifles and brass they have, and on average there's more of everything now in Creed compared to Swede and 260. That means more choice of rifles, more choice of factory ammunition - both match grade and cheaper hunting ammo - more choice of brass (including everything from spent factory to Lapua small-primer), more load data, and arguably more availability which is only going to increase - especially now Sako/Tikka and other major manufacturers have all jumped on the "bandwagon".

Whether you reload or not, the Creedmoor makes a good case for being the most practical 6.5 cartridge for many people and purposes. Whether it's around in 100 years like the Swede remains to be seen, but it's only going to get bigger before then.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by perentie » 06 Apr 2018, 7:52 am

bigrich wrote:any other 6.5 feed back ? there is a 6.5x57 and a bigger one again i think . opinions anyone ?

No one (I think) has mentioned the 6.5-284 I built one on a Rem 700 for my wife for F class shooting about 10 years ago. Shoots very well but as expected is a bit hard on barrels. I havnt bothered cutting and rechambering, I just chuck in a new barrel. There may be life left yet in those old ones cut back and rechambered for one of these shorter 6.5,s.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lawyer Daggett » 21 Oct 2019, 2:52 pm

I recently made this decision. After considerable research I went with the 6.5x55. I considered the 6.5x57, 6.5x55, 6.5 Rem Mag ( as a former .350 Rem Mag owner I thought it could be interesting to work with), .260 and the Creedmoor.
Case availability knocked out the Rem Mag, I figure even if it turns out to be a fad, there are enough Creedmoor's in circulation to guarantee case availability, and the choice became a three dog race between the 6.5x55, .260 and the Creedmoor with little to choose between them,
Ultimately the choice came down to the Swede's case capacity, and the availability at a sensible price of a nice second hand rifle in it- a Mauser M12 Pure.
I decided upon the 6.5x55.
Lawyer Daggett
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 21 Oct 2019, 3:05 pm

Nice one. It was a win win win scenario though. I don’t think any of the three would be a bad choice mate. Let us know how it shoots mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bill » 21 Oct 2019, 6:49 pm

Good choice Lawyer daggett the Swede just does it with ease, A classy case that doesnt need to be jucied up to the tits to get decent performance.

M12 pure will be a nice rifle, got a favorite bullet you'll be using ??

If I wanted a short 6.5 it would be the PRC.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 23 Oct 2019, 3:57 pm

Lawyer Daggett wrote:I recently made this decision. After considerable research I went with the 6.5x55. I considered the 6.5x57, 6.5x55, 6.5 Rem Mag ( as a former .350 Rem Mag owner I thought it could be interesting to work with), .260 and the Creedmoor.
Case availability knocked out the Rem Mag, I figure even if it turns out to be a fad, there are enough Creedmoor's in circulation to guarantee case availability, and the choice became a three dog race between the 6.5x55, .260 and the Creedmoor with little to choose between them,
Ultimately the choice came down to the Swede's case capacity, and the availability at a sensible price of a nice second hand rifle in it- a Mauser M12 Pure.
I decided upon the 6.5x55.

i love the swede cartridge. will like to hear feedback on the mauser rifle . love your online name mate , i watched the original "tru grit" the other night . another classic movie from a forgotten era :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Previous

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics