30-06 variants

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

30-06 variants

Post by Bent Arrow » 10 Dec 2017, 11:56 am

I stumbled across this article http://timeforoutdoor.com/blog/best-30- ... cartridge/

It's bound to open some arguments......

I desperately wanted a 25-06 when I was a teenager, I finally scratched that itch when I got back into firearms a couple of years ago. It's statements like this that got me wishing I had one....

" the .25-06 win a real-world trifecta. This one is the flattest shooting, lowest recoiling and the hardest hitting cartridge in existence"
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Re: 30-06 variants

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Dec 2017, 8:47 pm

Yeah they are every bit what they say fast and hit hard but what I think stopped the sales are they are very touchy
with rifle twist on projectile weights as I found with the one I had it was 1-10 twist and it would not throw anything over 105 gr
for acceptable groups I was given a offer to trade I could not refuse so I traded it for a bigger caliber
Although not taking anything away from the 25-06 it is like the big brother to the 22-250 and every bit as accurate ,fast and
lethal way past the 22-250 and not as affected by wind at long distance as the 22-250 is
Member-Deleted

Post by Baz460 » 10 Dec 2017, 9:14 pm

Would have to agree with the 25/06 as being one of the best all round cartridges out there. Over the past 40 years I had two, both Rugers and shot everything from scrub bulls to feral cats and everything in between. Incredibly accurate out to 350 yds, (3 shots 2 inch group) hard hitting and zero recoil.
Cheers Baz.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 12 Dec 2017, 10:40 am

i have wanted one for years i have a 270 and it shoots flat i bet the 25-06 shoots lazer beam flat
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 12 Dec 2017, 11:36 pm

Same....love the quarter bore. A lot say it's the best for Aussie conditions, 257 Roberts, the classic 303/25, the mighty 25/06 is up there with the best. Talk about shoot flat...the secret with them but is the twist rate, especially for pills over 100gns.

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 13 Dec 2017, 8:52 am

Seems to me you would have more options with a 243 pretty much the same trajectory. Tops out at 90-100gr though in off the shelf twist rates.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 Dec 2017, 9:38 am

Yeah a 243 could be the same trajectory but it would not hit as hard as a 25-06 with their optimum bullet for each rifle
As 243 is almost at its limits with 100gr projectiles the 25-06 is just coming into its own with 100gr projectiles
Both shoot lighter projectiles but the 25-06 gets more devastating than the 243 with them
with all that said the 25-06 is just a little more gun than the 243 in my opinion
Member-Deleted

Post by Gamerancher » 13 Dec 2017, 10:55 am

I so desperately want to give my honest opinion on .243 vs .257 but .243 owners tend to be thin skinned and "blinkered" when it comes to any criticism of their cherished round so I had better not. :silent: ;)
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 13 Dec 2017, 12:23 pm

Go on give us your opinion always looking to hear and listen maybe learn something. I dont disagree that the 25 has a bit more power/energy capabilities what I meant by more options was there are more projectiles for the 243 and they are more readily available the cases are a bit expensive but available. There are always pros and cons with two that are very similar.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 13 Dec 2017, 12:54 pm

Gamerancher wrote:I so desperately want to give my honest opinion on .243 vs .257 but .243 owners tend to be thin skinned and "blinkered" when it comes to any criticism of their cherished round so I had better not. :silent: ;)

go ahead, opinions are like arseholes everyone has one even me :allegedly: :sarcasm: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 Dec 2017, 3:13 pm

TRUE, TRUE Marksman but if every gun had an areshole behind it we would only have more disagreement :thumbsup: :lol: :lol:
So might we leave it at caliber vs caliber and agree :allegedly: :thumbsup: :lol:
cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 Dec 2017, 3:25 pm

When I bought my 25-06 I couldn't get a 243 straight away so opted for the 25-06 and was glad I did but still
wanted a 243 because I like them now I like 2 rifles and two of the most under estimated rifles in Australia or the world
The 25-06 does have a little more thump but that can be an option on weather you want more or not
There are arguments of this vs that and always will be but you buy for what you want to shoot
Then if its an all rounder you want then both would be ideal in Australia
Member-Deleted

Post by Gamerancher » 13 Dec 2017, 4:10 pm

Like I said, thin skinned. :lol: I wish I could get the fish to bite as hard as you lot. :thumbsup:
Okay, .257 calibre actually has as wide of a range of hunting bullets from light weight 60 grainers you can get out at ridiculously flat shooting speeds around 3900 f/s for varmints through to 120 grainers that can still be gotten out at around 3000+ f/s. Try that with your .243. Do the down range trajectory and energy equations , the 1/4 bore kicks butt! :D :thumbsup: ( Especially in a Roberts ;) )
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 13 Dec 2017, 4:15 pm

We will see you might win by 15 grains of salt that is :lol:
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gamerancher » 13 Dec 2017, 4:17 pm

Ah, it's all good fun man. I just know which one I'd rather be carrying as a "one size fits all".
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by scoobs » 13 Dec 2017, 4:31 pm

why buy a one size fits all? then you only get to buy 1 gun :sarcasm:
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 13 Dec 2017, 4:48 pm

Didn't say I only own one gun, far from it, most in my postcode according to the Greens. :D
Just if in a position where I head bush for an extended hunt, that is the one I take, covers all bases. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 13 Dec 2017, 7:39 pm

I nearly bought a 243 for all the normal reasons, cheaper factory ammo that is more easily available..... . I bought the 25 for the simple reason that I wanted too. When I finally get sometime too run different loads through it I'm sure I'll find the sweet spot. As it is, it shoots way better than I can and has cleanly dropped everything I've pointed it at. Happy days......
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by straightshooter » 14 Dec 2017, 7:22 am

Every calibre / cartridge combination seems to have a bullet weight 'sweet spot'.
By that I mean, for hunting purposes, you seem to get an optimum combination of velocity, energy and flatness of trajectory compared to other weight projectiles.
For a 25/06 that appears to be with a 100 grain projectile.
These days I use Nosler partition projectiles as a happy balance between expansion and penetration.
I have tried Nosler 115 grainers and they don't seem to shoot any worse than the 100 grainers in my 10" twist so I would treat web based recommendations of twist vs. bullet weight with caution.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 14 Dec 2017, 8:31 am

I have gotten excellent results with the 115 gr partitions out of my Roberts. It also has a 10'' twist , 26" barrel. Knock down on pigs and goats was awesome.
Preferred load was 100gr sierra game kings for general walkabout shooting, good mild working load velocity around 3100f/s with a 3" high @ 100m zero they only drop 10" @ 400m. Makes for good open country shooting. The .25-06 can do a bit better than this by a couple of hundred f/s, albeit using more powder, but still makes for an even flatter shooting round.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Dec 2017, 8:41 am

What would the sweet spot weight projectile for 7mm rem mag would anybody have any knowledge of that
a little off subject but curious to know if there is one

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by marksman » 14 Dec 2017, 9:37 am

grandadbushy wrote:TRUE, TRUE Marksman but if every gun had an areshole behind it we would only have more disagreement :thumbsup: :lol: :lol:
So might we leave it at caliber vs caliber and agree :allegedly: :thumbsup: :lol:
cheers

well that was worth the wait :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
especially given that I recon the 25-06 is a flatter long distance shooter than the 243 anyday :thumbsup:
if you make it fair using the same weight projectiles, say berger 115 grain hunting the 25-06 sails past the 243 as it hits the dirt even though the bc's are much better for the 243 :drinks: bc's 6mm .568 and 25 cal .483
the thing that the 25-06 doesn't have is heavier projies for bigger varmints, the only thing that lets it down :friends:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 14 Dec 2017, 9:40 am

Gamerancher wrote:Like I said, thin skinned. :lol: I wish I could get the fish to bite as hard as you lot. :thumbsup:
Okay, .257 calibre actually has as wide of a range of hunting bullets from light weight 60 grainers you can get out at ridiculously flat shooting speeds around 3900 f/s for varmints through to 120 grainers that can still be gotten out at around 3000+ f/s. Try that with your .243. Do the down range trajectory and energy equations , the 1/4 bore kicks butt! :D :thumbsup: ( Especially in a Roberts ;) )

sometimes when the fish are biting you need to look around as you may be the bait :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 14 Dec 2017, 10:00 am

Dont think I could get a 115 to stabilize in the 243 its best load is probably the 90gr Berger Target/Varmint I also load both the Sierra 100gr Pro Hunter and Gameking both go well. I have some Hornady 105s which I am yet to try Hornady recommend a tighter twist than I have. I notice that this projectile seems to have stopped being manufactured.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 14 Dec 2017, 10:29 am

if we were talking about calibers not cartridges my answer would have been different to above,
to be fair you would compare the 6mm-06 with the 25-06 with the same brand and weight projectiles in a barrel that can stabilise the projectile at the same speed
or 25-08 against the 243 with the same brand and weight projectiles at the same speed
that's when the bc's would kick in a bit but I don't think by much at all

IMHO the 6.5 cals all kill the 24 and 25 cals anyhoo :crazy: :drinks: :allegedly: :sarcasm:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 14 Dec 2017, 10:47 am

sungazer wrote:Dont think I could get a 115 to stabilize in the 243 its best load is probably the 90gr Berger Target/Varmint I also load both the Sierra 100gr Pro Hunter and Gameking both go well. I have some Hornady 105s which I am yet to try Hornady recommend a tighter twist than I have. I notice that this projectile seems to have stopped being manufactured.

I use the 100gr sierra pro hunters for head shooting rabbits :allegedly:
and I shot a fallow that the farmers hay baler contractor mowed over when I went to look for it a few weeks ago
bloody mongrel :violin:
they work very well in my 6mm dasher 1 in 8 twist @ 3100fps for 32.5 gr's of powder
one hole at 200 and so far kill good, when I shoot the rabbits for practice there is a good blast hole in the ground behind it
I think you will find that shot placement is more important than projectile weight as long as you use good projectiles :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 14 Dec 2017, 12:16 pm

i am a gun geeg i have wanted a 35 for years also i have read they are great bear guns and moose i have een looking for years for a rem 600 it would be a bone cruncher
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Dec 2017, 12:17 pm

My choice 22-250, 25-06, 7mm
Member-Deleted

Post by marksman » 14 Dec 2017, 1:11 pm

wrenchman wrote:i am a gun geeg i have wanted a 35 for years also i have read they are great bear guns and moose i have een looking for years for a rem 600 it would be a bone cruncher

another good one would be the Elmer Keith's .333 OKH ;)
I have personally held this rifle and just love it, it's hard to find well made rifle's like this
.333 OKH made from necking up a 30-06 to take 250 and 300 grain projies used for the .333 jefferys
from his African hunt using this rifle
and by the way, that rear scope mount does not touch the scope, it is there to protect it only

I have to many favourites to list including a lust for the 25-06 (ok I'm greedy) :lol: :lol:
but my 30-06 is what I carry mainly for hunting although I could carry others :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 14 Dec 2017, 4:38 pm

Money is the large limiting factor on me having a collection of any real size. then I am torn between beautiful classics with fine woodwork and finish coupled with hopefully an acceptable accuracy. Then I have a small side of me that like the military rifles and even going as far as today's taticool contraption as long as they are very practical and not just wank factor. I would like a couple of or at least one semi auto centrfire. Then the engineer side of me says just bugger it I can build a better shooting rifle than that (meaning any of the above) with custom parts and barrels. There are some awesome actions and barrels that people have specialized in.
I can see my self at one time having every calibre in 0.5mm increments and a few of the same for different purposes and perhaps in different twist rates.
There is so much overlap in a lot of the rifles that discussions about which one is better are not worth the argument. The interesting discussion is about the pros and cons of each one and be honest and accept you can be talking about rifles that may seem to be identical to you at first only to learn that one has a different barrel profile and that is enough to be a complete game changer.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics