.22Hornet or .22LR & .223Rem

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: .22Hornet or .22LR & .223Rem

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Dec 2017, 4:32 pm

My 2cents worth, I think 150yds is stretching it for a 22lr in the field. The 22 Hornet ammo, unless your reloading is dearer than 223 and not as readily available plus a greater choice of projectile weights and design, so go the 223 and in a Tikka and for the closer shots, just don't stalk so close.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2017, 6:07 pm

loading down is something i hadn't considered when buying my rifles. you fellas have given me something to think about. i have read ( think it was terminal ballistics site ) that 22-250 is extremely flexiable for down loading while still maintaining good consistant accuraccy. any opinions or experience with this fellas ? does twist rate have any effect ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Dec 2017, 6:12 pm

Yeah, I have worked up a load for my 223 mmmmm, about 2000fps I think. You can do it with any rifle. Just got to do some homework.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2017, 6:36 pm

2000 fps OB ? that's 22 mag teritory. hmmmmm. think i need to look harder at this reloading caper. dunno if i should but. might make some of my rifles redundant. so you just do soft loads of established data and do a bit of range time with a chrono ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 21 Dec 2017, 6:54 pm

bigrich wrote:loading down is something i hadn't considered when buying my rifles. you fellas have given me something to think about. i have read ( think it was terminal ballistics site ) that 22-250 is extremely flexable for down loading while still maintaining good consistent accuracy. any opinions or experience with this fellas ? does twist rate have any effect ?

I make reduced loads in every caliber I shoot just to expand the versatility, reduce the cost and reduce the wear on the firearm.
Can't comment on the .22-250 as I've never owned one but I'd be surprised if there's any difficulty with doing so.
Trailboss is your friend when it comes to reduced loads.

My brother's favorite .243 load is the 58gn VMax on 12gn of Trailboss at 2020fps - just like a .22WMR with a 50%-heavier bullet. We can shoot them all day without the barrel even getting warm.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Dec 2017, 7:06 pm

bigrich wrote:2000 fps OB ? that's 22 mag teritory. hmmmmm. think i need to look harder at this reloading caper. dunno if i should but. might make some of my rifles redundant. so you just do soft loads of established data and do a bit of range time with a chrono ?

I've rarely found any data for reduced loads in most calibers.
ADI suggest with Trailboss to fill the case to the base of the seated bullet, then start at 70% of that.
I pretty much just fill a case to around about the base of the bullet, test shoot it to measure velocity and accuracy and then work up and down to get what I want. My TB loads are anywhere from 50% to 100% of actual case capacity and I've been right down to 3.7gn in the .243 with the 58gn VMax making about 300fps. But two of those stopped in the muzzle, so I would consider 4gn to be about the minimum load with the 58gn in .243. Any useful load though will need to be at least around 6-7gn with the lighter bullets - 7gn pushes the 58gn at about 1350fps. In the 6.5x55mm 8gn of TB pushes the 95gn VMax just below supersonic (no crack) and gives me 1Moa to 100m.
Keep in mind for hunting that bullets require a minimum terminal velocity at which they start to expand, below that velocity they're just FMJ's.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Dec 2017, 7:18 pm

Just checked the load is 7.6gr As 50N. 55gr Hornady so for about 2200fps.
As50N is a rough equivient to green dot. So you can use that data. Just need to be cautious, as it's not exact.

I use the same powder for cast bullets in my 3006 .

It can make a rifle very versatile.

Trail boss is very popular.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 21 Dec 2017, 7:47 pm

Bladeracer how did you get the bullet out of the barrel? Was it very hard? Lucky you looked and didn't put another one down the tube as well that could have been a real mess.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 21 Dec 2017, 8:20 pm

sungazer wrote:Bladeracer how did you get the bullet out of the barrel? Was it very hard? Lucky you looked and didn't put another one down the tube as well that could have been a real mess.

The first one I thought I'd fired a primer only and forgotten the charge so I pulled a bullet from the next round and fired it out with that charged case. After a few more my final test round stopped at the muzzle so I walked back to my office with it in place.

Just pushed it out with a cleaning rod. The only effort in pushing a jacketed bullet through a bore is engraving the rifling, once it's engraved it doesn't take much effort to push it through.

These were 300fps loads so I doubt there would've been a mess. The bullet was right at the muzzle, as in you could touch the tip of it. I would expect a second round probably would've just popped it out before itself stopping in the bore. Worst case it might've bulged the barrel a little but I doubt it.

I forgot to add, I found a bullet lying on the ground a few feet before my bullet stop, unmarked other than the rifling. I reckon that was the bullet I fired out of the muzzle and it barely traveled 50m.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2017, 8:37 pm

real eye opening info guys. i got a mate who rags on me cause he doesn't like high velocity stuff. this really changes how i'm looking at my 22-250. i could download to 222/223 velocities and still have the ability to load right up if need be. if i lower velocity on my 22-250 it sort of makes sense to go with a 1-12 twist barrel to shoot heavier projs in the 60 grain range as well doesn't it ? the rifle does need rebarreling. not really intending to shoot lighter than 55 gr slugs
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 21 Dec 2017, 8:50 pm

Ive never tried, & dont have any immediate plans to load down any of my 22-250's bigrich....
Ive dabbled with the 7-08 & 204, but think ill leave the 250 as it was so designed...velocity...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Dec 2017, 9:00 pm

This subject often comes up so I will just post this from the adi loading manual.

reduced loads .jpg
reduced loads .jpg (39.15 KiB) Viewed 8087 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 22 Dec 2017, 8:15 am

yeh OB , gotta be carefull playing with things that go bang. as for reloading, it's something i'll get into eventually. except for maybe a shotty i've got every gun i need now. build the funds back up and look into getting the gear. one of the fellas at my local gunshop has invited me to sit in with some of his gunclub mates to learn about it. i like the idea of the flexability of loading a 22-250 down stix, not every circumstance i'm in will need long shots. might look into that soon. thanks for ya views and advice fellas :thumbsup: :drinks: :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 22 Dec 2017, 10:57 am

Oldbloke wrote:This subject often comes up so I will just post this from the adi loading manual.

reduced loads .jpg

Only a suggestion though, they're not saying don't do it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 22 Dec 2017, 1:06 pm

Oldbloke wrote:This subject often comes up so I will just post this from the adi loading manual.

reduced loads .jpg

Whos calling trail boss slow?

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Dec 2017, 1:10 pm

Bills Shed wrote:

reduced loads .jpg

Whos calling trail boss slow?

Bill

I'm not commenting on trail boss, it is ideal for light loads. . Just letting people know that slow powders shouldn't be reduced too far.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 23 Dec 2017, 1:57 pm

.22 & .223 was the decision. Thanks everyone for the input. Much appreciated. Hornet in the future not out of the question either.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 23 Dec 2017, 4:32 pm

Scooter wrote:.22 & .223 was the decision. Thanks everyone for the input. Much appreciated. Hornet in the future not out of the question either.

Good on you scooter...!!!
Wise choice mate...well done.

Hey do you reload...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 23 Dec 2017, 4:42 pm

Yes mate I do reload. I enjoy tinkering around getting the best load.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by fxol » 23 Dec 2017, 4:48 pm

My .204 load of 32gn ZMax at 2400fps is perfect for close range small game, and cheap enough. It's sort of halfway between the .22WMR and the Hornet. You can shoot these loads all day without getting the barrel warm.

Bladeracer, I'm interested in this load, Im assuming it's trailboss? How accurate and what sort of range is it good for?
fxol
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Dec 2017, 5:08 pm

fxol wrote:My .204 load of 32gn ZMax at 2400fps is perfect for close range small game, and cheap enough. It's sort of halfway between the .22WMR and the Hornet. You can shoot these loads all day without getting the barrel warm.

Bladeracer, I'm interested in this load, Im assuming it's trailboss? How accurate and what sort of range is it good for?

It gives me an easy 1MoA at 100m, I don't use it much further than that. I zero for the 24gn at 4400fps to be 30mm high at 100m and hold over for the 2400fps load which hits about 32mm low at 100m.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 23 Dec 2017, 6:04 pm

I tried your trailboss load bladeracer on my recent bunny jaunt...( i didnt have time to do a full test to see if i could get tighter groups)
It was under moa (tested at 100yds) but was 4" low & 1" left to the standard load, which both use 32 zmax...
I would have tried it on bunnies if holdover were the only factor...
When i get time ill try a load test & see if i get a charge that groups well & is only vertically challenged (Low with no windage shift) but i doubt ill be lucky there.

Scooter, if you reload i was going to say get a tub of trailboss & some 40gr Zmax projs & have a play in the 223, once you've got a normal load.

You'll have cheap fun...so much so that you'll be bidding against me on the next hornet that comes about...!! :lol:
(or we could team up, you distract marksman while i reach over the pailing fence & grab both of his while his back is turned)...! :o
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 23 Dec 2017, 8:37 pm

Thanks Stix, I’ll give it a whirl.
Reckon I’ll end up with a CZ527 in .22 Hornet.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 23 Dec 2017, 9:11 pm

Scooter wrote:Thanks Stix, I’ll give it a whirl.
Reckon I’ll end up with a CZ527 in .22 Hornet.

I've got a 527 in .222 (actually it's my wifes) and they are a effin nice rifle. :drinks: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 24 Dec 2017, 4:50 am

Yes they are indeed. Very accurate. aesthetically pleasing, and a nice rifle to shoot.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 24 Dec 2017, 12:02 pm

Stix wrote:It was under moa (tested at 100yds) but was 4" low & 1" left to the standard load, which both use 32 zmax...
I would have tried it on bunnies if holdover were the only factor...
When i get time ill try a load test & see if i get a charge that groups well & is only vertically challenged (Low with no windage shift) but i doubt ill be lucky there.

It annoys me when that happens :-)
That's why when I'm developing loads I also track where the point-of-impact moves with different charge weights.
The 80gn ELDM I just tried in the .223 tracked toward the right with every 0.5gn increase in charge weight.
I wouldn't be troubled by an inch though, I can hold for that easily enough.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by slickncghia » 24 Dec 2017, 12:36 pm

if you like reloading another option to consider is 17 hornet.

My 20gr nosler tipped loads with expensive primers are 40cents (just over 10 grains of powder lol) not including brass. (50c if i wind up needing new brass every 10)
add another 10cents for the 25gr vmax. both super accurate with the 20g around 0.5 moa

imho its superior to 22h past about 100m just based on the velocity and bc. But in OZ both are really a fox only callibers. so nowhere near as versitile as the 223

223 realistically is the better option and you can make some real cheap loads with the $75 for 600 hornady super roos.
slickncghia
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 24 Dec 2017, 1:34 pm

Thanks mate. I have never really looked at the .17Hornet. I will have a gander at it. Thanks again mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by slickncghia » 24 Dec 2017, 4:19 pm

something to consider if you don't have a 17 already, most reloading and cleaning gear stuff is for 22 and up...

so i needed a new cleaning rod/kit. new powder funnel. new chamfer/debur tool ect. lots of little stuff.

and brass is $56 for 50. when loaded hornady 25gr factory ammo is $59 for 50 go figure.
slickncghia
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Dec 2017, 4:32 pm

As always shop around. Try "reloaders haven" in Lara.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics