Do I need a .243

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: Do I need a .243

Post by JimTom » 30 Dec 2017, 10:20 am

Reckon I’ll give the old 303 a miss mate.
.22, .223, .243, .308 should cover most applications. Maybe squeeze a .22Hornet in there later on down the track just for s**ts and giggles.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 30 Dec 2017, 10:32 am

Yes Scooter, i dont have one either...
So we both need one...!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 30 Dec 2017, 10:33 am

Actually...maybe we need 2 each...a sporter weight & heavy barrel version...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 30 Dec 2017, 11:05 am

Na scooter convert it to metric and you will see the holes. You still need a 6.5 and a 7mm then your pretty good upto the 308 :)
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by juststarting » 30 Dec 2017, 11:19 am

Objectively, you definitely need a new rifle.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 30 Dec 2017, 12:12 pm

Just in case it doesn't stand out enough for you.
You have 5.5mm(223) 6mm(243) and a 7.6mm(308) You need 6.5mm and 7mm also multiple options in great calibres.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by JimTom » 30 Dec 2017, 12:21 pm

Spot on gents. I’ll get to it. May take a bit of saving, or powerball to achieve it all though.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 30 Dec 2017, 12:30 pm

Scooter wrote:Reckon I’ll give the old 303 a miss mate.
.22, .223, .243, .308 should cover most applications. Maybe squeeze a .22Hornet in there later on down the track just for s**ts and giggles.

No laughing matter, a .22 Hornet is a great piece of kit. They can be fiddly to tune, most certainly not the best with Factory Ammo but go the old track from years ago...Small Pistol Primers, the correct powder like Winchester 296, Lee Collet Dies and a Lee Factory Crimp, Bullets like Berger 30gr and you produce a very accurate result in the likes of less than 0.5MOA accuracy from a very fun calibre.

Quiet and accurate.

I sold my .17HMR in favour of my also CZ Hornet. Not much more expensive to shoot, a way lot more accurate and no dramas of dud factory ammo the HMR still has problems with...
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 30 Dec 2017, 12:36 pm

Yep the CZ527 in .22Hornet is a great rifle.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 30 Dec 2017, 2:59 pm

A 243, DEFINITELY! Ammo is readily available, not too sure about the 6.5 stuff and you can always neck down your .308 shells to .243 . Just get one (at least) and a TIKKA is good.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Dec 2017, 3:26 pm

While you're looking think about, 7x57 or 7-08
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 30 Dec 2017, 7:40 pm

I don't use my .243 anywhere near as much as I used to since I bought a .223 but when I do I love it.

I haven't had the .243 past 500 meters yet but im extremely impressed with how it shoot out that far with my mildly loaded 100 grain projectiles.

You definitely need one.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by albat » 31 Dec 2017, 10:26 pm

You don't "need" one,the 308 is your mate in the bush cheap and real nasty !
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 01 Jan 2018, 8:29 am

Scooter wrote:G’day again Folks.

I have a .223 and a .308, I’m just thinking about something in between the two, perhaps a .243.
The .223 is good for dogs etc, and .308 is for pigs. I am anticipating an opportunity to hunt some small deer and thought the .243 might be a good choice. Do you think it’s justifiable, is there a more suitable caliber, or could I realistically get by with what I have?

A 243, are you kidding?
A 223 and a 308 adequately cover the widest range of game you will encounter, from little furry hopping things to the largest deer.
In fact if I could only own 2 rifles then that would be a 223 and a 308 and if only one then a 308.
What you really need, but don't realise it, is a 375 H&H or a 458 Win Mag or something similar, for those 'just in case you need enough gun' situations.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 01 Jan 2018, 9:58 am

Do you need a 243 that,s a silly question of course you do point is you should be thinking of what brand do I Need (like) I could not decide between an older Parker /hale or a Howa so i have both you will find it a good for most situations .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 01 Jan 2018, 5:36 pm

I had hornets and shotguns for years as they were legal on a low power licence,My first high power rifle is a .222 Ruger and then I got a 7mm Rem Mag Sendero.A hunting buddy was keen and put his name down for a .243 Howa and never went all the way on the deal so I purchased it as having a 6mm was a natural progression and I have never regretted it once.4 of us have .243W and we have a standard 80gn load for culling roos
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by tom604 » 01 Jan 2018, 7:44 pm

yes you do :thumbsup: tell us what brand you buy,,we are a nosy bunch :P i will be getting one this year and am leaning towards a Lithgow,,haven't heard that much about them but they are Australian made :unknown: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 Jan 2018, 8:04 pm

tom604 wrote:yes you do :thumbsup: tell us what brand you buy,,we are a nosy bunch :P i will be getting one this year and am leaning towards a Lithgow,,haven't heard that much about them but they are Australian made :unknown: :thumbsup:

A mate of mine recently bought a Lithgow.
It's an extremely well made firearm and shoots very well. :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 01 Jan 2018, 8:32 pm

If I end up with a 243 mate it will almost certainly be a Lithgow. I initially intended on purchasing a Lithgow 308 but ended up with a CZ, then decided to buy a Lithgow 223 but ended up with a Tikka T3x. After that I tossed up the idea of a Lithgow rimfire but managed to purchase my first ever rifle back which was a Brno Mod2 22LR so no Lithgow rimfire either.
I really like the Lithgow but on both occasions favoured the other rifles for different reasons.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 01 Jan 2018, 9:47 pm

Not that its of interest really, but ill most likely be getting a tikka...
...its a magazine thing...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 01 Jan 2018, 10:06 pm

G’day Stix.
That is the reason I went for the CZ as it has an internal mag. 5 shots compared to the Lithgow 3 shot removable magazine. Only a minor detail I know but I like internal mags. I don’t have any particularly good reason, it’s just personal preference for me. I overlooked that when buying a Tikka though as think they are a great rifle all round.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 01 Jan 2018, 10:13 pm

Well i have a 7-08 in a tikka as a walk about hunting rifle & im pretty happy with it, & have a 10 shot mag for it.
So i want to set up the .243 identical...same scope & rings etc, & will be interchangable mags...
One will be the back up for the other...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 01 Jan 2018, 10:17 pm

If i cant get a good cond brno for my hornet i might end up with a cz though....!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Apollo » 01 Jan 2018, 10:27 pm

If it's a "Magazine Thing" then get a Sako 85. Flush 5 Shot S/Steel Magazine, safety lock so can't drop the magazine by mistake, can be Top Fed so pretty much the same as an internal mag as you call it. (Cartridge Box Brno called them). More accurate than a Tikka T3 even using the exact same barrel, how do I know....My Sako 85 .243W uses my old Tikka T3 Blued and a Stainless Varmint Barrel as well as it's own Sako Stainless Fluted Varmint Barrel. BTW...they all Headspace exactly the same and that's Tikka / Sako quality control.

To explain the barrels. The Tikka T3 Blued Varmint Barrel is used for general varminting / hunting, the Stainless Tikka / Sako is used for Benchrest Competition at 300m so reserved for that until they get a lot more rounds down the tube.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 01 Jan 2018, 10:32 pm

Stix wrote:If i cant get a good cond brno for my hornet i might end up with a cz though....!

You do realize they are two different animals completely. The Brno most likely a Brno Fox II with double set triggers, the CZ a CZ 527 with Single Set Trigger which is what I have. Mate has the Brno, not quite as accurate but then his is many, many years older. Completely different feel too.

Both are very good.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 01 Jan 2018, 11:32 pm

Apollo wrote:
Stix wrote:If i cant get a good cond brno for my hornet i might end up with a cz though....!

You do realize they are two different animals completely. The Brno most likely a Brno Fox II with double set triggers, the CZ a CZ 527 with Single Set Trigger which is what I have. Mate has the Brno, not quite as accurate but then his is many, many years older. Completely different feel too.

Both are very good.

Thanks Apollo...yes im aware they are completely different...
Im a fan of the look of older rifles, so i would take a punt on an older one if it looked to have a good bore.
But not too many seem to come up so i may well end up with a new CZ.
Im not entirely sure of the difference between the fox 2 & zkw 465 though--other than age...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 01 Jan 2018, 11:42 pm

stix.Educate me.If you have same mags for .243 and 7/08 could you potentialy put the wrong ammo in.Just curious I have a .222 and if I am driving a shooter with a .223 I keep my ammo locked up as I have seen what happens if you put .222 in a .223.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Jan 2018, 8:40 am

duncan61 wrote:stix.Educate me.If you have same mags for .243 and 7/08 could you potentialy put the wrong ammo in.Just curious I have a .222 and if I am driving a shooter with a .223 I keep my ammo locked up as I have seen what happens if you put .222 in a .223.

Duncan, if you go here you can download the case specs. A simple size comparison will tell you.

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and ... /index.cfm
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 02 Jan 2018, 9:02 am

G’day Apollo. I didn’t choose the CZ based entirely on the magazine configuration. Yes it was a contributing factor but not the sole reason. I have no reason to doubt the CZ will shoot as well as the Lithgow. It’s just I like the idea of an internal mag for the application of the rifle. I chose the Tikka for the reasons you stated. I believe they are great quality. Anything that comes out of the Sako factory can’t be bad.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 02 Jan 2018, 9:29 am

Hey duncan...yes i could potentially do that...mind you im not sure if the shoulder angle will stop any given round chambering or not...
But i use different coloured ammo boxes for different cartridges, & i will only have one out at a time when in the field anyway so shouldnt be an issue--maybe both out on the odd occasion at the range but on different benches.
Just like when i reload for multiple cartridges, i only have one powder on the bench to avoid mistakes...

Having said that, one day at the range i did wonder why i couldnt close the stainless bolt on 7-08--took me 2 or 3 mins to realise i was trying to chamber the round with the identical stainless bolt out of the .204... :wtf:

That was lesson learned for me- :oops: -when load testing/shooting multiple rifles at once, i document all shots & dont do anything else until that rifle, bolt & ammo are set aside--use a very methodical approach & concentrate...!

Ive heard stories--one of a guy who's 308 all of a sudden went awal--spraying big groups.
Didnt realise why until someone elses keen eye realised the holes in the target were a bit small for 30 cal...he was apparently shootin his 243 ammo by mistake... :lol:

So what happened with .222 in .223...? Aside from having to FLSize...hehe...???
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics