256 Win Mag

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: 256 Win Mag

Post by Stoney » 19 Jan 2018, 7:59 pm

Tripod wrote:So have you found someone with a reamer yet or do you want to go shares in one? I bought a donor today. (Two actually)

G'day Tripod, I haven't found a reamer yet, I did check JGS the alternative to PTG but they don't list it, but, doesn't mean they won't make it?. There may also be one laying around in Oz somewhere ( you never know ). I am looking at kicking off in about 3 to 6 months so I will keep looking. $$$$'s to be saved for the project unfortunately. But in having said that, if you are still interested in that time I would be happy to go shares in one. I am currently trying to find good after market stocks for the Cadet. Here's some pics I got off the net to wet your appetite :D
Attachments
C3.jpg
C3.jpg (4.03 KiB) Viewed 9189 times
C2.jpg
C2.jpg (6.68 KiB) Viewed 9189 times
C1.jpg
C1.jpg (9.9 KiB) Viewed 9189 times
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Tripod » 19 Jan 2018, 8:07 pm

Stoney wrote:
Tripod wrote:So have you found someone with a reamer yet or do you want to go shares in one? I bought a donor today. (Two actually)

G'day Tripod, I haven't found a reamer yet, I did check JGS the alternative to PTG but they don't list it, but, doesn't mean they won't make it?. There may also be one laying around in Oz somewhere ( you never know ). I am looking at kicking off in about 3 to 6 months so I will keep looking. $$$$'s to be saved for the project unfortunately. But in having said that, if you are still interested in that time I would be happy to go shares in one. I am currently trying to find good after market stocks for the Cadet. Here's some pics I got off the net to wet your appetite :D

I might be onto a reamer in Aus. For stocks look at Hatchers Rifle stocks or Treebone carving.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Stoney » 19 Jan 2018, 8:20 pm

Tripod wrote:
Stoney wrote:

I might be onto a reamer in Aus. For stocks look at Hatchers Rifle stocks or Treebone carving.

Have already contacted Cameron from Hatchers. Cadet stocks are in the planning. Has anyone purchased from Treebone carving that you know of? Let me know if you get onto that reamer mate.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Tripod » 20 Jan 2018, 6:55 am

Have already contacted Cameron from Hatchers. Cadet stocks are in the planning. Has anyone purchased from Treebone carving that you know of? Let me know if you get onto that reamer mate.

He is advertising them and Lee Speed type stocks so he must be close to making them.
Gordon Cussens is another one who does them.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Tripod » 21 Jan 2018, 4:12 pm

Hey Stoney another option would be to do a 22 Remington Jet Improved, I know a Smith who has the reamer and is reasonably priced.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Stoney » 21 Jan 2018, 7:40 pm

Tripod wrote:Hey Stoney another option would be to do a 22 Remington Jet Improved, I know a Smith who has the reamer and is reasonably priced.

G'day Tripod, yeah I was really wanting a .25 cal round suitable for the Cadet. I don't like how .22's get pushed so easily with the wind. I was keen on .218 Bee and .219 Donaldson Wasp for a while. I understand the limitations of the .256 but I am happy with that. Everything in ballistics is a compromise.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ric O'Chet » 22 Jan 2018, 8:16 am

Good news. TSE in Brisbane can do the 256.

I also looked at importing a Pacific Tool reamer. US$135 for the basic finish reamer, $35 postage, should be about OZ$230 landed and no US gov export permit hassles.

Now all I need is brass, bullets, dies etc etc.... ;)
Ric O'Chet
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Stoney » 22 Jan 2018, 4:00 pm

Ric O'Chet wrote:Good news. TSE in Brisbane can do the 256.

I also looked at importing a Pacific Tool reamer. US$135 for the basic finish reamer, $35 postage, should be about OZ$230 landed and no US gov export permit hassles.

Awesome news Ric O'Chet.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 26 Jan 2018, 10:53 pm

Stoney wrote:
Ric O'Chet wrote:Good news. TSE in Brisbane can do the 256.

Awesome news Ric O'Chet.

Have you asked TSE if they will chamber ream a barrel?
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ric O'Chet » 02 Feb 2018, 8:04 am

As far as I know they're doing the whole thing "in house".
Ric O'Chet
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 19 Aug 2019, 5:13 pm

did this ever get built ??
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by grumpy308 » 20 Aug 2019, 10:30 pm

Hi Stoney. Years ago I had a new Sportco 25-20 Martini barrel laying around and a stack of light 25 cal projectiles. Wanting a bit more performance than a 25-20 the chamber was taken out to 256 win mag and fitted to an action. It was scoped and shot ok with cases necked down from 357's. It never fired many rounds and was one of those do it because you can things just for interests sake as Martini's and parts were plentiful at the time. I seem to recall that the barrel was left hand twist for whatever reason. I still have the barrel if you are interested. Regards Malcolm.
grumpy308
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Stoney » 21 Aug 2019, 4:38 pm

Bill wrote:did this ever get built ??

No, not yet unfortunately Bill. I have a 7x57R No4 build in progress and have also purchased a CZ 550 in 9.3x62 to muck around with.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 21 Aug 2019, 4:46 pm

grumpy308 wrote:Hi Stoney. Years ago I had a new Sportco 25-20 Martini barrel laying around and a stack of light 25 cal projectiles. Wanting a bit more performance than a 25-20 the chamber was taken out to 256 win mag and fitted to an action. It was scoped and shot ok with cases necked down from 357's. It never fired many rounds and was one of those do it because you can things just for interests sake as Martini's and parts were plentiful at the time. I seem to recall that the barrel was left hand twist for whatever reason. I still have the barrel if you are interested. Regards Malcolm.

G'day Malcolm, at this stage unfortunately I have too many projects. Not only the rifles mentioned above but also a Winchester P14 custom to re-barrel.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 21 Aug 2019, 8:36 pm

you're safes getting awfully small mate :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 23 Aug 2019, 6:19 pm

bigrich wrote:you're safes getting awfully small mate :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes it is mate. I have to put my shoulder to the door to shut it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Maxjon » 03 Apr 2020, 9:05 pm

Could be a great cast bullet shooter!!
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Shootaholic » 01 Jun 2020, 9:05 am

Hi guys,
I’m almost ready to send a prepped Martini action to Allan Swan for a 300 Blackout barrel fit.
Also keen on a 256 Win Mag , so I’m looking for feed back from anyone who has completed one. Allan has the reamer.
Cheers Shootaholic
Shootaholic
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Maxjon » 01 Jun 2020, 10:15 am

Shootaholic wrote:Hi guys,
I’m almost ready to send a prepped Martini action to Allan Swan for a 300 Blackout barrel fit.
Also keen on a 256 Win Mag , so I’m looking for feed back from anyone who has completed one. Allan has the reamer.
Cheers Shootaholic

I'm hoping to get my .357 magnum cadet barrel from Allan Swan this week. Then my project will be in full swing!!
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Bill » 01 Jun 2020, 10:43 am

Brass - we have a retired locally gs making it

Dies - Western firearms get Hornady dies in for $80
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Ric O'Chet » 23 Nov 2021, 7:34 am

Bit of an update on an oldish thread.

Rifle is something a bit different, an H&R Handi originally in .223. Had it re-barreled to 256 WM towards the end of '18 and it promptly went into the safe where it's been since. Work and life commitments, then COVID, put a halt to any messing about with it.

Hoping to start reloading for it in the new year. I'll put up some info when I do.
Ric O'Chet
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Joshua.s » 30 Nov 2021, 8:51 am

I myself have a 256 win mag in marlin model 62 . And I can tell you that it is a great little fox slayer Out to about 250m . Very little.recoil and a lot quieter than most of my other small centerfire toys. 357 mag is definitely the easiest to re size . But if you do decide to go ahead . I could send you a couple of factory brass to help you get all the case dimensions in hand . Rather than from a book .
Joshua.s
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Previous

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics