256 Win Mag

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

256 Win Mag

Post by Stoney » 04 Jan 2018, 6:39 pm

G'day All, I have a Martini Cadet action that I am thinking of re-barreling into .256 Win Mag. It looks like a good round in a single shot configuration as pointed projectiles can be used. Anyone have one or have had one? Is it any good? Cheers.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: 256 Win Mag

Post by RoginaJack » 05 Jan 2018, 5:00 pm

Skipping the history and getting to the point the 256 Win Mag was initially designed as a pistol cartridge (era 1960s) and I think you may find it difficult to obtain brass other than running 357mag cartridges through a F.LS. die.
Also, reloading data might be a bit hard to find too.
It came with a bang and fizzled out just as quick.
I'd suggest having a look at another calibre - 218 bee, 22 hornet or the Imp. versions or 22mag or even 17 horne tetc. BUT....
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 05 Jan 2018, 8:44 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Skipping the history and getting to the point the 256 Win Mag was initially designed as a pistol cartridge (era 1960s) and I think you may find it difficult to obtain brass other than running 357mag cartridges through a F.LS. die.
Also, reloading data might be a bit hard to find too.
It came with a bang and fizzled out just as quick.
I'd suggest having a look at another calibre - 218 bee, 22 hornet or the Imp. versions or 22mag or even 17 horne tetc. BUT....

Thanks for the reply RoginaJack. I think it came with a bang and fizzled because it was used in short barrelled pistols and lever guns with flat nose bullets. Two guarantied ways to destroy a varmint round. Same as the .218 Bee, .219 Zipper, .25/20, .225.....
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Tripod » 06 Jan 2018, 6:58 am

Just do it,.................... Let me know when you find a reamer as I have been wanting to do one for years but I am too tight to buy a reamer for just one job.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 06 Jan 2018, 11:10 am

Tripod wrote:Just do it,.................... Let me know when you find a reamer as I have been wanting to do one for years but I am too tight to buy a reamer for just one job.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
my type of guy :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 06 Jan 2018, 11:57 am

yeah STONEY, spot on! :clap: Why would you stick a .218 bee in a lever action?

BUT,the 256 Win Mag. would be an interesting project though....
Last edited by RoginaJack on 06 Jan 2018, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 06 Jan 2018, 5:37 pm

If you actually look at a lot of old rimmed rounds that were used in lever guns and put them into bolt actions or single shot rifles they are re-born into far more capable rounds. A mate of mine had an old Savage bolt action in 30/30 ( have no idea what model ) but that sucker would s**t all over any lever gun 30/30 in MV and accuracy because he could use pointed projectiles.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Jan 2018, 6:11 pm

"A mate of mine had an old Savage bolt action in 30/30 ( have no idea what model ) but that sucker would s**t all over any lever gun 30/30 in MV and accuracy because he could use pointed projectiles."

One of the reasons I traded my 30-30 in for a bolt action 3006.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stoney » 06 Jan 2018, 6:18 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"A mate of mine had an old Savage bolt action in 30/30 ( have no idea what model ) but that sucker would s**t all over any lever gun 30/30 in MV and accuracy because he could use pointed projectiles."

One of the reasons I traded my 30-30 in for a bolt action 3006.

Don't give up on the rimmed rounds mate. They just have to be in the right platform.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Jan 2018, 6:24 pm

Just a lot easier to buy a bolt action.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stoney » 06 Jan 2018, 6:30 pm

Funny you say that because if the .22 Hornet was brought out in a lever action it would be dead now.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 07 Jan 2018, 8:25 am

Stoney wrote:If you actually look at a lot of old rimmed rounds that were used in lever guns and put them into bolt actions or single shot rifles they are re-born into far more capable rounds. A mate of mine had an old Savage bolt action in 30/30 ( have no idea what model ) but that sucker would s**t all over any lever gun 30/30 in MV and accuracy because he could use pointed projectiles.

Makes a lot of sense the BC of the bullet would sky rocket. The frictional losses of that flat or round nose would just shrink. Put a copper jacket on them bump up the pressure with a bit more push. Game changer.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Tripod » 07 Jan 2018, 8:36 am

sungazer wrote:
Stoney wrote:If you actually look at a lot of old rimmed rounds that were used in lever guns and put them into bolt actions or single shot rifles they are re-born into far more capable rounds. A mate of mine had an old Savage bolt action in 30/30 ( have no idea what model ) but that sucker would s**t all over any lever gun 30/30 in MV and accuracy because he could use pointed projectiles.

Makes a lot of sense the BC of the bullet would sky rocket. The frictional losses of that flat or round nose would just shrink. Put a copper jacket on them bump up the pressure with a bit more push. Game changer.

Not all lever actions require FP projectiles though, Savage used a box mag and some early Remingtons had a system to keep the cartridges from lining up in the tube, Add in the soft polymer pointed projectiles like the leverlution and those differences become irrelevant.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Gamerancher » 07 Jan 2018, 9:57 am

Winchester 1895, another John Moses Browning design, lever-action + box magazine = pointy bullets. :D
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Stoney » 07 Jan 2018, 4:30 pm

Tripod wrote:
sungazer wrote:

Not all lever actions require FP projectiles though, Savage used a box mag and some early Remingtons had a system to keep the cartridges from lining up in the tube, Add in the soft polymer pointed projectiles like the leverlution and those differences become irrelevant.

Yes Tripod, not all lever guns require FN projectiles AND now we have Polymer pointed tips which are a Godsend to the lever gun. But lever guns still have a weakness in the action that cannot handle the pressure of a single shot martini type action or a bolt action built for a rimmed round.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 07 Jan 2018, 4:40 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Winchester 1895, another John Moses Browning design, lever-action + box magazine = pointy bullets. :D

Yes I did forget those good old lever rifles Gamerancher, thank you for the reminder. I guess my point was/is. Make a strong action for an old forgotten rimmed round and you might be quite surprised. The .22 Hornet is still a fantastic and popular round. What happened to the WSM family? Almost forgotten in my neck of the woods in just a couple of years.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 07 Jan 2018, 8:51 pm

ha ha. hey stoney. whadya reckon mate ? not a bad forum this one. just watch out for a fella called stix . he has a obsession with trying to get hornet rifles :lol: nah, just kidding stix. lot of good fellas on here with different opinions and good advice :thumbsup: :drinks:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by snag » 07 Jan 2018, 10:01 pm

Mate, you gotta do this. I have Martinis in every calibre I have been able to get hold of, but I never thought of this. Really want to know how this works out.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 09 Jan 2018, 5:29 pm

snag wrote:Mate, you gotta do this. I have Martinis in every calibre I have been able to get hold of, but I never thought of this. Really want to know how this works out.

Snag, I will let you know how I go.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 09 Jan 2018, 6:47 pm

hey snag, can you list what calibers you have martinis in ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ric O'Chet » 10 Jan 2018, 8:58 am

Heh, funny what you find with a google search. Looking at getting a single shot re-done in 256 Win Mag at the moment myself.

Seems finding a smith with the reamer is the big obstacle. Let me know if you find one and I'll do the same.

Good to see there's someone else out there wanting to go through the hassle, too. Should be a fun little round!
Ric O'Chet
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Stoney » 10 Jan 2018, 4:46 pm

Ric O'Chet wrote:Heh, funny what you find with a google search. Looking at getting a single shot re-done in 256 Win Mag at the moment myself.

Seems finding a smith with the reamer is the big obstacle. Let me know if you find one and I'll do the same.

Good to see there's someone else out there wanting to go through the hassle, too. Should be a fun little round!

Hi Ric, That's awesome that you are interested in this round as well. I see it as a good 200yard varmint round with a little better wind bucking ability. The beauty is it can also be made from .357mag or max cases, so reasonably cheap to make. I was just going to buy a reamer myself if I couldn't find one locally. Although I have no idea how easy it is to buy one. I haven't talked to a gunsmith yet. But I have talked to a stock maker who just gearing up to produce martini cadet stocks.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 10 Jan 2018, 4:58 pm

hey stoney, you martini tragic. :sarcasm: was just thinking again about a martini project, get a .303 martini and convert to 30-30 win and use spitzer projectiles. or just buy hornady lever evolution ammo. not cheap but. would give 30-30 a new lease on life i reackon :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 10 Jan 2018, 5:11 pm

bigrich wrote:hey stoney, you martini tragic. :sarcasm: was just thinking again about a martini project, get a .303 martini and convert to 30-30 win and use spitzer projectiles. or just buy hornady lever evolution ammo. not cheap but. would give 30-30 a new lease on life i reackon :thumbsup:

Yeah bigrich, but 30/30 isn't a round I would use in a single shot. The original .303 makes better sense. You don't really gain anything by changing down. A 30/30 bolt action on the other hand :thumbsup:
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 10 Jan 2018, 7:44 pm

just to be different mate :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SillyWetTas » 15 Jan 2018, 7:49 pm

Ptg will make you a reamer

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/25-cal-2 ... eamer.html

The last reamer I brought from them late last year cost me just over Au$430 with no go and go gauges and shipping .

Adi have load data on their site for pistol will make no difference for rifle.

Their people US building rimless version in bolt actions using cut down 223 brass .
Using the same dies and reamers to cut the chamber.
SillyWetTas
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Stoney » 16 Jan 2018, 4:44 pm

SillyWetTas wrote:Ptg will make you a reamer

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/25-cal-2 ... eamer.html

The last reamer I brought from them late last year cost me just over Au$430 with no go and go gauges and shipping .

Adi have load data on their site for pistol will make no difference for rifle.

Their people US building rimless version in bolt actions using cut down 223 brass .
Using the same dies and reamers to cut the chamber.

Thanks for that info SillyWetTas. I wasn't sure if it was " allowed " to import a reamer. So, the .256 lives on in the US. Albeit in a modified form. :drinks:
I will check the ADI site out mate, Cheers.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 17 Jan 2018, 9:08 am

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4297&start=18

Stoney. Check out the link for my experiences with Pacific Tool & Guage. There is also a recommendation for another reamer manufacturer that you might be better using. PTG charge a HEAP for postage!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Stoney » 17 Jan 2018, 5:41 pm

Gwion wrote:https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4297&start=18

Stoney. Check out the link for my experiences with Pacific Tool & Guage. There is also a recommendation for another reamer manufacturer that you might be better using. PTG charge a HEAP for postage!

Thank you Gwion. I will check it out.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Tripod » 18 Jan 2018, 8:21 pm

So have you found someone with a reamer yet or do you want to go shares in one? I bought a donor today. (Two actually)
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics