260 rem ballistic tips

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

260 rem ballistic tips

Post by Magpul Rem 700 » 16 Jan 2018, 8:02 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping for some guidance; I have a new 260 Rem with a 24 inch barrel 1-8 twist (Shot around 130 rounds), I'm looking for a ballistic tip hunting round close to 140gn.
The barrel groups best with Federal 140gn Sierra Game King with a jacketed lead core. Very impressive groups sub MOA at 200m off the bench. Hence trying to stay at 140gn.
But a suitable hunting ballistic tipped round would be more accurate at longer ranges right?
I'd like to go further out- up to maybe 800m on goats (I have access to an awesome property as a guest but the goats are always very high and very far away).
I've tried Federal 120 gn ballistic tips, good but not as good as the 140gns.
Today I tried Hornady 129gn SST, but didn't get under MOA at 100m off the bench, was very windy and gusty so I haven't written them off yet.
I'm trying to avoid reloading as I've done pistols and shotgun reloading for years and now want to to enjoy the luxury of buying off the shelf ammo.

Your thoughts would be highly appreciated.

Cheers.
Magpul Rem 700
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: 260 rem ballistic tips

Post by Gwion » 17 Jan 2018, 7:36 am

Reload.... :lol: (sorry)
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gamerancher » 17 Jan 2018, 9:24 am

I don't get it, if you're getting sub M.O.A with the Gamekings, why do you want to change? :unknown:
You've basically answered your own question, in that you can't get better results with other rounds that you have tried.

I've shot sh!tloads of critters using Sierra Gameking projectiles, that's what they're designed for.

I used to use ballistic tips in a 6.5/.257 Rob. A.I that I shot silhouette with, but only out to turkeys @ 385m. For the 500m rams I used Sierra Matchkings for better results. :drinks:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jan 2018, 10:43 am

Magpul Rem 700 wrote:But a suitable hunting ballistic tipped round would be more accurate at longer ranges right?

I'm not aware of any rule that BT's are inherently more accurate.
I think open-tip bullets are still setting the world records for accuracy?
If you want to take goats out to 800m you need a bullet with high BC.
Something like the 143gn ELDX knocks 30" off your 140gn GK drop at 800m, 18" off the wind drift, has 230fps more velocity and 230ft/lb more terminal energy. Accuracy will come down to your specific rifle.

But for shooting at 800m I would think reloading would be essential.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 17 Jan 2018, 11:08 am

I don't mean to be a smartarse but landing an ethical kill shot on a goat sized target at 800m... ya wanna be a bloody good shot!! :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 17 Jan 2018, 11:10 am

Yeah, I left the 800m shots alone. :roll:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by SendIt » 17 Jan 2018, 11:31 am

A ballistic tip is more about initiating expansion than increasing accuracy.

But there are certainly quality ballistic tip bullets like the Nolsers with a reputation for accuracy. This is more about the quality and standard of the bullet though rather than the tip itself. Plenty of factory options for these too.

I'd take a look at their Accubond Long Range bullets if you're looking to get out to 800m.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 17 Jan 2018, 12:39 pm

i have seen a bit more 260 ammo in shops lately. But I think you are going to disappointed if you continue with that way of thinking. It's a luxury to buy factory ammo alright. You'll pay for it! Most of premium 260 stuff I've seen is $60-70 a box of 20.

If you already know how to reload. That's what I would be doing for the 260.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 17 Jan 2018, 12:46 pm

I know next to nothing (well lets call it nothing) about how to get the best out of your rifle at 800m, but I have really got to say this......

If you can't close the gap from 800m, your either simply not trying too, or you desperately need to learn how to hunt. I bow hunt and rifle hunt goats on several properties ranging from open river flats with little cover to steep country in the Flinders Ranges and I can almost always get within less than 200 m with minimal effort. I regularly get within less than 50m, and often within less than 20m if I make an effort. In my opinion you simply should try harder to get within sensible distances. If you don't want to bother, that's up to you. However you simply won't be making any ethical shots at that distance regardless of your skill behind the trigger and the capability of your rifle set up.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 15 Feb 2018, 12:57 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:I regularly get within less than 50m, and often within less than 20m

After you shot them from 150m away, right? :lol: :drinks:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics