Recommended Hunting Projectiles for 6.5 Creedmoor

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Recommended Hunting Projectiles for 6.5 Creedmoor

Post by JimTom » 28 Apr 2018, 11:10 am

G’day Gents

I have been doing some reading trying to narrow down an appropriate projectile to reload Creedmoor with.
Looking at pigs / smaller deer etc at mid ranges say somewhere in the order of 3-400 metres.
Looking at Hornady SST either 120gn-140gn.
Does anyone have any experience with these projectiles or an opinion on what they think is suitable. Any input greatly appreciated.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: Recommended Hunting Projectiles for 6.5 Creedmoor

Post by marksman » 28 Apr 2018, 11:23 am

I use the both of these and would suggest the 140gr sst
I also use the 140gr accubond projectile with great success out to 750
the sst projectiles can be finicky to get to shoot sometimes but they are good killers :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 28 Apr 2018, 11:32 am

Thanks mate. Are you taking game out to 750?
A lot of what I have read suggests the 140gn is the favoured projectile. I am only shooting 130gn out of my .308.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 28 Apr 2018, 11:54 am

G’day Marksman,
I’d like to draw on a bit of your additional knowledge if I may.
I am looking at a 6-18x50 scope for the rifle. Do you think this is sufficient? If not can you recommend something else please mate?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Midwestman » 28 Apr 2018, 1:27 pm

i have a swede,shoot 140gr but the 139 ppu is cheap and an excellent round drops pigs and goats out too 500m like getting hit by lightning they just fall straight over on the spot.
carl gustov 03 mauser 6.5x55
savage 223
Midwestman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 28 Apr 2018, 3:21 pm

yes I have dropped fallow out at that distance very easy, they aren't hard to kill but were bang flop :drinks:
I used a nightforce br 8-32 on that rifle a 6.5x284 for them shots at 22 power but do use a 6-18 for up to 500
IMO you could use a 6-18 for 750 on game :thumbsup:
I have just about got my 270 wsm load worked out perfectly with a leupold LRP 6.5-20x50 scope and have already dropped roo's out to 450
I am going to test this rifle on a gong at 750 soon, I use 150gr sst's with this rifle @ 3270 fps, it's smoking hot

with the 6.5 pill you need to pick the right one as the wrong one will pencil straight through
the bc's of the 140's make it worth while IMO as they don't cost any more, a long skinny needle being shot out
I have not had problems with the sst killing game, yet :o
and I have seen sst's do a u turn inside an animal finding the internals destroyed but whats left of the pill under the skin on the shot side
its a good idea to try both weights as the rifle will tell you what it really likes by your groups :thumbsup:

good luck with it, I know you will enjoy the 6.5 :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 28 Apr 2018, 4:23 pm

Hornady ELD X 143gr? I have not shot any deer sized game. But they shot well in my Howa. For my varmint load I usually use the 95gr Vmax. I would also consider the Hornady 129gr sp Interlock. I have worked up a load yet but they are a bit cheaper then the SST. I think I paid $48 per 100. Or you can buy the factory loaded Hornady whitetail ammo which shoots the same projectile.

Interested to see what you end up using.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 28 Apr 2018, 6:13 pm

hey fellas, i'm looking for 6.5x55 mauser loads using 140 gr nosler partition or 140 gr hornady sst projectiles. will be using a mod 70 chinwester rifle. any particular powders or primers anyone can recommend ? :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 28 Apr 2018, 7:00 pm

Thanks gents. Really appreciate the input and have taken it all on board. I have ordered the Creedmoor in a Lithgow LA102 so will be a month or two before it arrives.
Will post back again with the results once I have worked up a few loads.
Was hoping to use AR2208 or BM8208 in the first instance as this is what I load my 308 & 223 with at present.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 28 Apr 2018, 7:24 pm

Scooter wrote:Thanks gents. Really appreciate the input and have taken it all on board. I have ordered the Creedmoor in a Lithgow LA102 so will be a month or two before it arrives.
Will post back again with the results once I have worked up a few loads.
Was hoping to use AR2208 or BM8208 in the first instance as this is what I load my 308 & 223 with at present.

I think you will find the go to powder for 6.5 Creedmoor is AR2209 (H350 in America). I used AR2208 with 120 Amax's for pretty good results. I currently use BM8208 with the 95gr Vmax. But I think you'll find with the 140s AR2209 will be better. It's just another powder.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 28 Apr 2018, 7:33 pm

Thanks Cooper. Always happy to hear what people think and take some advice. Definitely won’t rule out the AR2209 with the 140gn when I try it. Thanks mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 28 Apr 2018, 8:08 pm

Jeepers you blokes are hunting things a long-ways out there :shock: you must be on top of your calcs :thumbsup:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 28 Apr 2018, 11:11 pm

bigrich wrote:hey fellas, i'm looking for 6.5x55 mauser loads using 140 gr nosler partition or 140 gr hornady sst projectiles. will be using a mod 70 chinwester rifle. any particular powders or primers anyone can recommend ? :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

2209 and fed LR primers :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 29 Apr 2018, 9:05 am

thanks marksman. :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 22 May 2018, 5:34 pm

I see Speer have some 6.5mm 140gn Spitzer for around $40 / 100. Pretty good deal I think.
Anyone have any experience with these?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 23 May 2018, 8:36 pm

Not in 6.5 - though I wonder if they're the same projectile Federal uses in its cheap 6.5CM Power Shok ammo (usually $25-30 a box)?
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by JimTom » 24 May 2018, 5:06 am

Flyer wrote:Not in 6.5 - though I wonder if they're the same projectile Federal uses in its cheap 6.5CM Power Shok ammo (usually $25-30 a box)?

Yes mate it is my understamding that these are the projectiles used in the federal 6.5CM ammo. Ha e seen that online for $23 a box. Bit of a turnaround compared to what 6.5CM factory ammo was not so long ago.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 24 May 2018, 7:54 am

Have purchased a few types.
Speer 140gn Sp
Hornady 123gn SST
Hornady 95gn Vmax
A new pot of AR2209 and I’ll see how it goes.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 24 May 2018, 9:20 am

May even try the Hornady 143gn ELD X If I don’t have any success with the Speer 140gn.
Will post some results once the rifle turns up if anyone is interested.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by PaddyT » 25 May 2018, 10:43 am

Please do - will be looking at a ^.5 CM at somestage in the next year or so
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 25 May 2018, 10:44 am

PaddyT wrote:Please do - will be looking at a ^.5 CM at somestage in the next year or so

Any idea what type of rifle you will get the 6.5CM in mate?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by cuvy » 26 May 2018, 8:12 pm

bigrich wrote:hey fellas, i'm looking for 6.5x55 mauser loads using 140 gr nosler partition or 140 gr hornady sst projectiles. will be using a mod 70 chinwester rifle. any particular powders or primers anyone can recommend ? :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

The load i use is a 139gr Highland soft point with around 34gr AR2206H, Winchester primer. Works well for me.
cuvy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by PaddyT » 29 May 2018, 10:40 am

JimTom wrote:
PaddyT wrote:Please do - will be looking at a ^.5 CM at somestage in the next year or so

Im a leftie so that will limit my choices-probably a Tikka CTR at this stage- would love it if the Lithgow came in leftie for their centerfires
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 29 May 2018, 1:21 pm

PaddyT wrote:
JimTom wrote:

Im a leftie so that will limit my choices-probably a Tikka CTR at this stage- would love it if the Lithgow came in leftie for their centerfires

Yes Lithgow are definitely dragging their feet on the LH release of their centrefires.
Let us know how you go and what you decide on mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 03 Jun 2018, 1:23 pm

JimTom wrote:May even try the Hornady 143gn ELD X If I don’t have any success with the Speer 140gn.

I nearly gave up on the 143 ELD X. I shot 100 of them before I found a load I was happy with and at nearly 80 cents each per projectiles there is definaltely cheaper options out there! I ordered some of the Speer 140s to try. Price seems good. Hopefully they shoot good and perform well.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 03 Jun 2018, 4:22 pm

Let us know how you go with the Speer 140gn mate.
I am still waiting for both rifle and dies before I can start. Hopefully this month.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 03 Jun 2018, 6:43 pm

Cooper wrote:
JimTom wrote:May even try the Hornady 143gn ELD X If I don’t have any success with the Speer 140gn.

I nearly gave up on the 143 ELD X. I shot 100 of them before I found a load I was happy with and at nearly 80 cents each per projectiles there is definaltely cheaper options out there! I ordered some of the Speer 140s to try. Price seems good. Hopefully they shoot good and perform well.

What were your issues mate and how did it end up. what was your final load?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Cooper » 04 Jun 2018, 8:12 am

sungazer wrote:
Cooper wrote:

What were your issues mate and how did it end up. what was your final load?

To be fair. The rifle was new. I reckon it takes at least a hundred rounds down the barrel to really settle down. I was getting groups around an inch at 100 but wanted 1/2 an inch.

The main problem was the Hornady brass and the fact that I was looking for the sweet spot above 2700fps. With the Howa and a 26 inch barrel. Wrongly I had decided in my mind I should be somewhere around that mark.

I switched to Lapua brass and a Forster should bump die and 289 bushing and dropped the powder charge because of the switch to Lapua brass. 38.9gr ar2209 is good for 2650fps and half inch groups at 100 if do my part.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics