Recommended Hunting Projectiles for 6.5 Creedmoor

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: Recommended Hunting Projectiles for 6.5 Creedmoor

Post by JimTom » 24 May 2018, 9:20 am

May even try the Hornady 143gn ELD X If I don’t have any success with the Speer 140gn.
Will post some results once the rifle turns up if anyone is interested.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by PaddyT » 25 May 2018, 10:43 am

Please do - will be looking at a ^.5 CM at somestage in the next year or so
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 25 May 2018, 10:44 am

PaddyT wrote:Please do - will be looking at a ^.5 CM at somestage in the next year or so

Any idea what type of rifle you will get the 6.5CM in mate?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by cuvy » 26 May 2018, 8:12 pm

bigrich wrote:hey fellas, i'm looking for 6.5x55 mauser loads using 140 gr nosler partition or 140 gr hornady sst projectiles. will be using a mod 70 chinwester rifle. any particular powders or primers anyone can recommend ? :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

The load i use is a 139gr Highland soft point with around 34gr AR2206H, Winchester primer. Works well for me.
cuvy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by PaddyT » 29 May 2018, 10:40 am

JimTom wrote:
PaddyT wrote:Please do - will be looking at a ^.5 CM at somestage in the next year or so

Im a leftie so that will limit my choices-probably a Tikka CTR at this stage- would love it if the Lithgow came in leftie for their centerfires
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 29 May 2018, 1:21 pm

PaddyT wrote:
JimTom wrote:

Im a leftie so that will limit my choices-probably a Tikka CTR at this stage- would love it if the Lithgow came in leftie for their centerfires

Yes Lithgow are definitely dragging their feet on the LH release of their centrefires.
Let us know how you go and what you decide on mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 03 Jun 2018, 1:23 pm

JimTom wrote:May even try the Hornady 143gn ELD X If I don’t have any success with the Speer 140gn.

I nearly gave up on the 143 ELD X. I shot 100 of them before I found a load I was happy with and at nearly 80 cents each per projectiles there is definaltely cheaper options out there! I ordered some of the Speer 140s to try. Price seems good. Hopefully they shoot good and perform well.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 03 Jun 2018, 4:22 pm

Let us know how you go with the Speer 140gn mate.
I am still waiting for both rifle and dies before I can start. Hopefully this month.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 03 Jun 2018, 6:43 pm

Cooper wrote:
JimTom wrote:May even try the Hornady 143gn ELD X If I don’t have any success with the Speer 140gn.

I nearly gave up on the 143 ELD X. I shot 100 of them before I found a load I was happy with and at nearly 80 cents each per projectiles there is definaltely cheaper options out there! I ordered some of the Speer 140s to try. Price seems good. Hopefully they shoot good and perform well.

What were your issues mate and how did it end up. what was your final load?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Cooper » 04 Jun 2018, 8:12 am

sungazer wrote:
Cooper wrote:

What were your issues mate and how did it end up. what was your final load?

To be fair. The rifle was new. I reckon it takes at least a hundred rounds down the barrel to really settle down. I was getting groups around an inch at 100 but wanted 1/2 an inch.

The main problem was the Hornady brass and the fact that I was looking for the sweet spot above 2700fps. With the Howa and a 26 inch barrel. Wrongly I had decided in my mind I should be somewhere around that mark.

I switched to Lapua brass and a Forster should bump die and 289 bushing and dropped the powder charge because of the switch to Lapua brass. 38.9gr ar2209 is good for 2650fps and half inch groups at 100 if do my part.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics