As the forum says “Enough Gun” (graphic image warning)

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: As the forum says “Enough Gun” (graphic image warning)

Post by bigrich » 05 May 2018, 6:23 pm

+1 to all youse fellas ! and carp are grouped in with cats,foxes and wild dogs in my book. yes stix me ole china, i can diverge from topic just a tad at times. i don't have a issue with difference of opinion, but heckler seemed to make a lot of unfounded judgements and assumptions of other folk's morals ,integrity, and of all things johnsons ! .i couldn't sit back and not debate this. i don't bear a grudge against anyone with a different opinion to mine, so no worries heckler. as per some of my earlier advice, ave a beer mate ! :thumbsup: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 05 May 2018, 6:25 pm

bentaz wrote:I barrack for collingwood mate, teeth already fit the description!
But na, I was wearing waders, I used to volunteer at a NP wildlife sanctuary near Geelong and they have two big lakes, one overflows into the other when it rains a lot. There were heaps of big carp trying to swim up the shallow spillway so did what I could to thin them out.

getcha a red set of overalls and waders with a tail and horns on ya head u would look quite a sight spearing carp with a pitchfork mate :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 05 May 2018, 7:30 pm

bigrich wrote:+1 to all youse fellas ! and carp are grouped in with cats,foxes and wild dogs in my book. yes stix me ole china, i can diverge from topic just a tad at times. i don't have a issue with difference of opinion, but heckler seemed to make a lot of unfounded judgements and assumptions of other folk's morals ,integrity, and of all things johnsons ! .i couldn't sit back and not debate this. i don't bear a grudge against anyone with a different opinion to mine, so no worries heckler. as per some of my earlier advice, ave a beer mate ! :thumbsup: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

yes mate, maybe he has made some judgments of other guys, but i dont see it going so far as attacking their morals & integrity...i just see it as being a little lacking in seeing what could have been meant--a little naive/immature at that moment maybe.
But we all can do that, you, me & even the hippest coolest most popular guys on here jump to conclusions from time to time based on what others say here...but that is the nature of text, it only portrays a very small part of what we are trying to communicate..that coupled with the fact there are guys, sorry people, that can articulate themselves better than others, not to mention the perceived or even actual intellect & mood of any given individual can play a big part in a big misunderstanding & testosterone boil over.

At the end of the day, i believe we all owe it to each other to educate, inform & be patient...much like if you're sitting at the range & a newbee without the inbuilt safe firearm handling practices swings a rifle around with a live'y in the chamber--thats probably a bad example actually as the person supervising shouldnt let it happen, but im getting at the point they deserve the respect to be educated rather than persecuted & disrespected.
And there are all ages & all experience levels of various things on this forum mate, so the more educated ones should be as ive mentioned above with the less educated ones.

Anyway, seeing some of the other comments aimed at the guy i suspect there is more behind the scenes/maybe history than i know about. But im not one to judge any given person based on what others say, i rather make up my own mind, so im out on this one now...
Ive probably pissed many off with what ive said so far...no doubt someone will be offended at what I've said here, try to read something selfish & sinister in what im trying to say & choose to jump to some ass-brained conclusion in their mind that im a d1ck...& maybe i am...but right now i dont care cos my beer is nice & cold & soothing the splinters i got from splitting & stacking some firewood earlier...!!

Peace brothers...& may the pressure wave, the shove in the shoulder & the burnt orange muzzle blast of a 22-250 grace your senses on a fantastic evening of spotlighting...!!! :drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 05 May 2018, 7:32 pm

bentaz wrote:I barrack for collingwood mate, teeth already fit the description!
But na, I was wearing waders, I used to volunteer at a NP wildlife sanctuary near Geelong and they have two big lakes, one overflows into the other when it rains a lot. There were heaps of big carp trying to swim up the shallow spillway so did what I could to thin them out.

:thumbsup:
That sounds like a blast...!!!

I want to crack some carp & a rabbit with a bow-narrow now...!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 05 May 2018, 7:49 pm

bentaz wrote:Shooting carp could be fun too, but not with a .500 nitro that would be overkill!

:lol: :wtf: :drinks:

Personally, i think any methos of removing carp that has no impact on native species and their habitat is worth doing! :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Stix » 05 May 2018, 7:59 pm

bentaz wrote:Shooting carp could be fun too, but not with a .500 nitro that would be overkill!

Im not sure if you're taking the piss outa me or someone else...
But as long as there is no danger involved i want in on that... that would be a hoot to see...!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 05 May 2018, 7:59 pm

bentaz wrote:I wanted to try bow fishing for carp but its not allowed down here I'm told.

Yeah mate illegal Victoria if you get caught. Come to SA its all good I even shoot them with my 50 cal lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 05 May 2018, 8:36 pm

hand grenades fellas. use a landing net with very small mesh to gather up your fish fingers after :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 05 May 2018, 8:40 pm

Stix wrote:
bigrich wrote:+1 to all youse fellas ! and carp are grouped in with cats,foxes and wild dogs in my book. yes stix me ole china, i can diverge from topic just a tad at times. i don't have a issue with difference of opinion, but heckler seemed to make a lot of unfounded judgements and assumptions of other folk's morals ,integrity, and of all things johnsons ! .i couldn't sit back and not debate this. i don't bear a grudge against anyone with a different opinion to mine, so no worries heckler. as per some of my earlier advice, ave a beer mate ! :thumbsup: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

yes mate, maybe he has made some judgments of other guys, but i dont see it going so far as attacking their morals & integrity...i just see it as being a little lacking in seeing what could have been meant--a little naive/immature at that moment maybe.
But we all can do that, you, me & even the hippest coolest most popular guys on here jump to conclusions from time to time based on what others say here...but that is the nature of text, it only portrays a very small part of what we are trying to communicate..that coupled with the fact there are guys, sorry people, that can articulate themselves better than others, not to mention the perceived or even actual intellect & mood of any given individual can play a big part in a big misunderstanding & testosterone boil over.

At the end of the day, i believe we all owe it to each other to educate, inform & be patient...much like if you're sitting at the range & a newbee without the inbuilt safe firearm handling practices swings a rifle around with a live'y in the chamber--thats probably a bad example actually as the person supervising shouldnt let it happen, but im getting at the point they deserve the respect to be educated rather than persecuted & disrespected.
And there are all ages & all experience levels of various things on this forum mate, so the more educated ones should be as ive mentioned above with the less educated ones.

Anyway, seeing some of the other comments aimed at the guy i suspect there is more behind the scenes/maybe history than i know about. But im not one to judge any given person based on what others say, i rather make up my own mind, so im out on this one now...
Ive probably pissed many off with what ive said so far...no doubt someone will be offended at what I've said here, try to read something selfish & sinister in what im trying to say & choose to jump to some ass-brained conclusion in their mind that im a d1ck...& maybe i am...but right now i dont care cos my beer is nice & cold & soothing the splinters i got from splitting & stacking some firewood earlier...!!

Peace brothers...& may the pressure wave, the shove in the shoulder & the burnt orange muzzle blast of a 22-250 grace your senses on a fantastic evening of spotlighting...!!! :drinks:

that's very insightful ,deep and understanding stix . have you considered starting your own religion ? the holy order brotherhood of the devout 22-250 :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 05 May 2018, 9:07 pm

Hang on,did you say " shove in the shoulder " in regards to a 22/250 ? :D
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 05 May 2018, 9:15 pm

Are you guys still going on over here :lol: never mind me carry on :clap:
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigrich » 05 May 2018, 9:57 pm

it's been fun sungazer. i only stopped to go to the range this afternoon :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 06 May 2018, 6:37 pm

bigpete wrote:Hang on,did you say " shove in the shoulder " in regards to a 22/250 ? :D

Here we go... :lol:
'Shove'...yep...apparently i did say that...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Baz460 » 19 May 2018, 4:51 pm

Well Holy Sh..t...….Didn't that cause some concern for some of the forum members.!!!!

Righto I will fill in all the "Knockers" on the details, not that I'm trying to change their judgement of me using a 500 Nitro on a small pig, but this got way out of hand.
Right, the story goes like this, I live up in the tropics and have access to a very large cattle station to hunt Scrub Bulls, Brumbies( more judgement coming my way) Pigs and Wild Dogs.
After wanting a double rifle for all my adult life, I'm 66, I finally got one, and when it arrived it was smack bang in the middle of our wet season, but eager to try my new pride and joy out, headed up to the Station in the middle of Cape York with an impending Cyclone coming , but didn't care as all I wanted to do was take an above mentioned critter with my 500.
Well we were till getting a couple of inches of rain a day, (I think we had 27 inches in 2 weeks) couldn't drive around so went for a walk along the banks of the flooded river, and only saw 2 pigs, under normal conditions, I would have shot 20 large pigs walking the same distance) and one of those pigs is the unfortunate victim of my frustration, after driving 5 hours through some pretty horrendous conditions to go try out my 500.
Under normal circumstances there is absolutely "No Way", I would even shoot a pig that size, let alone with a big nitro express, "But I Did', and jeez I better not mention that one day out hunting with my 460 Weatherby I shot a feral cat.
So the reason I put up the photo, was to show some forum members who have never hunted with big rifles, what a large calibre round does to a pig, be it small or large, it is the same result, extremely dead, and as one member did happen to mention that "I gut shot it", well I didn't, I shot it head on in the middle of his tiny little chest, and the rest is obvious.
So hopefully this puts this topic to rest.
Baz.

PS. I have also taken Cape Buff in Africa with another 500, is that more acceptable to the knockers?
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 19 May 2018, 5:14 pm

hey baz460, i'm with you mate. you had on ya that rifle at the time and took out a feral. :thumbsup: i thought one of the "knockers" was out of line, making assumptions, even about penis size FFS, i had many hours of fun debating this topic. go back and read some of the posts, some of it's pretty funny. any time you want to post some "controversial" photo's, go nuts mate :D cheers and be safe :thumbsup: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 19 May 2018, 5:37 pm

Baz460 wrote:Well Holy Sh..t...….Didn't that cause some concern for some of the forum members.!!!!
?

Wouldn't worry to much baz. ..it also produced one of the funniest threads I've seen on here!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: good work :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 May 2018, 2:23 am

Yeah Baz I wouldn't loose any sleep over it mate some people will wake up one day and see dead is dead no matter what they are shot with :huh:
What do they think you should do when you only have a big gun with you , stone it to death or something :)
On ya mate I enjoyed the read :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap:
Member-Deleted

Post by marksman » 20 May 2018, 11:04 am

[quote="Baz460"]Well Holy Sh..t...….Didn't that cause some concern for some of the forum members.!!!!

all good Baz460
if you've got it use the sucker :drinks: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 20 May 2018, 3:09 pm

Hey Baz. My only issue is that you wouldn't normally shoot a pig that size. If there was pigs locally, i would be shoot as many as humanly possible. They all need to be culled and there's no room for 'leave some for next year'. There's no way you will ever shoot them out, so kill as many as you can for the sake of the local ecology.
Just my take.
Same goes for cats, foxes, feral dogs, goats, camels and brumbies/donkeys.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 20 May 2018, 6:05 pm

Gwion wrote:Hey Baz. If there was pigs locally, i would be shoot as many as humanly possible. There's no way you will ever shoot them out, so kill as many as you can for the sake of the local ecology.

Yeh, having 8 different chamberings for various game can be a bit over the top. I just shoot them with what I have in hand at the time. Provided it will do the job at the range on the day,
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Baz460 » 21 May 2018, 2:33 pm

:shock: This is thy Culprit.
Attachments
D6F62D6D-84A9-458E-AEFD-05D5D9E0E99D.jpeg
D6F62D6D-84A9-458E-AEFD-05D5D9E0E99D.jpeg (410.96 KiB) Viewed 6709 times
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 21 May 2018, 2:43 pm

F@#k me that's a couple of big black holes right there!!!! :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 21 May 2018, 3:31 pm

you puttin' in some irrigation pipes baz ? :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Diesel » 31 May 2018, 12:12 am

I regularly snipe bunnies and native hens at 300 meters with the .308 Omark, just because I enjoy doing it. I will even have a crack right out to 600 as well but the results can be less than impressive sometimes, simply because i don't have a laser rangefinder. Were the .50 cal hawken a little more accurate I would even use that- just to see what happens, hell I would even get out the Tower musket in .75 just to see the result. Just another magnum crazy, fat, old fart having fun.

(PS, I am building up a .338 at the moment just to shoot rats with out the shed- don't tell anyone, my wife thinks it is for target shooting)
Diesel
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by juststarting » 31 May 2018, 12:32 am

Well, sheeat, I missed everything.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 31 May 2018, 9:58 am

Baz460 wrote::shock: This is thy Culprit.

Beeeaaauuutiful
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 31 May 2018, 9:28 pm

Gwion wrote:Hey Baz. My only issue is that you wouldn't normally shoot a pig that size. If there was pigs locally, i would be shoot as many as humanly possible. They all need to be culled and there's no room for 'leave some for next year'. There's no way you will ever shoot them out, so kill as many as you can for the sake of the local ecology.
Just my take.

Hey Gwion,
You haven't mentioned bunnies in that 'kill all'....does that mean im forgiven for leaving the odd breeding pair i see when numbers are really low (just so they can breed up so ive got something to shoot in a few months). :)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 31 May 2018, 11:18 pm

Nope.. kill all the bunnies too. Although there's a few running around my place that are quite safe...
Seems the biological controls are keeping numbers down locally.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Diesel » 03 Jun 2018, 11:03 pm

Stix wrote:Hey Gwion,
You haven't mentioned bunnies in that 'kill all'....does that mean im forgiven for leaving the odd breeding pair i see when numbers are really low (just so they can breed up so ive got something to shoot in a few months). :)

I am guilty of leaving a couple so I have something for dad to eat. Have to admit that the new Calici virus is doing a top job at the moment, dad normally eats well during a dry winter like this one but at the moment I am lucky to shoot one a week and that is only because my workbench backs on to a paddock and the boss doesn't mind me shooting out of the window at the warren just down the bank.
Diesel
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Diesel » 03 Jun 2018, 11:05 pm

Heckles must have packed up the bat and ball, deleted a few posts and headed home, must have been the mention of the .75 tower Land Pattern musket that upset him.......
Diesel
Recruit
Recruit

-

PreviousNext

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics