Shrapnel

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Shrapnel

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 May 2018, 4:26 pm

I finally remembered to try a hotter load behind the 35gn Vmax as discussed in another thread. The faster I pushed them the better they seemed to like it. I only had 9 left so I could only test 3 loads up to 27gn of 2206H. They were still twice the size of the Nosler 50gn groups at 100m.
I didn't bother to correct for wind.
It also gave my inner 7yo the chance to start finding out what happens to different types of projectile after meeting my bodged up deflector so I put some cardboard down to catch the remains.
I'll have to adjust the angle as some debris came back through the target.
Nosler 50gn BT will be next, then Nosler 70gn RDF Match BTHP, Berger 70gn BTHP Match, Hornady 68gn Match BTHP and ADI 62gn SS109 steel core penetrators.
I just need to eat more chips to get more card. As can be seen from the groups at 100m, Carlos Hathcock I'm not.
More later.
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage (4a.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (4a.jpg (246.67 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg (444.91 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg (483.13 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
Webp.net-resizeimage (7).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (7).jpg (387.69 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
Webp.net-resizeimage (6).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (6).jpg (487.03 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
Webp.net-resizeimage (8).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (8).jpg (245.47 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
Webp.net-resizeimage (9).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (9).jpg (450.15 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
Webp.net-resizeimage (11).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (11).jpg (413.45 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
Webp.net-resizeimage (10).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (10).jpg (357.03 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
Last edited by Gaznazdiak on 26 May 2018, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Re: Shrapnel

Post by bladeracer » 26 May 2018, 5:15 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:It also gave my inner 7yo the chance to start finding out what happens to different types of projectile after meeting my bodged up deflector so I put some cardboard down to catch the remains.

The fragmentation is why hard body armour must have an anti-spall coating :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 May 2018, 6:15 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:It also gave my inner 7yo the chance to start finding out what happens to different types of projectile after meeting my bodged up deflector so I put some cardboard down to catch the remains.

The fragmentation is why hard body armour must have an anti-spall coating :-)

On that subject, I'd have confidence in the plate in this video.
The rifle in the video is just inappropriately nice as well.

https://youtu.be/abUQQYQuBcg
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 01 Jul 2018, 1:45 pm

In case anyone else but me is even remotely interested in shrapnel, terminal ballistics etc.

I still have the deflector at too steep an angle apparently, @ 60deg, most of the lightweight bits from the Nosler 50gn came back out through the target and one of the SS109s clipped the edge of, and went through one of the holes I decided I didn't need to fill :roll: The best I can do as is and without re-configuring it, is 50. Some more welding to do.
Despite digging like a mole, I could find no sign of the penetrators from the 109.

I also pulled hell out of the first Nosler.
Attachments
50.jpg
50.jpg (48.34 KiB) Viewed 4142 times
Nosler 50 BT@100.jpg
Nosler 50 BT@100.jpg (633.39 KiB) Viewed 4142 times
109.jpg
109.jpg (51.45 KiB) Viewed 4142 times
ADI SS109@100.jpg
ADI SS109@100.jpg (475.48 KiB) Viewed 4142 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by southwest shooter » 01 Jul 2018, 2:33 pm

Get down deep in the trench .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 02 Jul 2018, 9:31 am

Something I am going to try being a nerd is to glue the tread of a tire to 10 500bis gong to see what the shrapnel situation is with it in place.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 02 Jul 2018, 11:04 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:In case anyone else but me is even remotely interested in shrapnel, terminal ballistics etc.

I still have the deflector at too steep an angle apparently, @ 60deg, most of the lightweight bits from the Nosler 50gn came back out through the target and one of the SS109s clipped the edge of, and went through one of the holes I decided I didn't need to fill :roll: The best I can do as is and without re-configuring it, is 50. Some more welding to do.
Despite digging like a mole, I could find no sign of the penetrators from the 109.

If the penetrators are hardened steel they may be be fragmenting.
I think you'll struggle to get all of the fragments ricocheting into the ground, there will always be some spatter in all directions.
Before I built my rubber bullet stop I dug many, many thousands of bullets out of the dam wall using metal detectors. I think the deepest I've had any bullets travel into the clay was about 150mm with machined brass 7mm 150gn bullets. .22LR only go in an inch or two at most. Big heavy bullets at low velocity stay together, but have limited penetration. Raising the velocity tends to blow them up, again limiting penetration. Lighter, very-high-velocity bullets virtually disintegrate completely. When I shoot groups the bullets tend to go deeper as the ground is broken up, even with .22LR.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 02 Jul 2018, 1:03 pm

sungazer wrote:Something I am going to try being a nerd is to glue the tread of a tire to 10 500bis gong to see what the shrapnel situation is with it in place.

Another frustrated CSI?
Be interesting to see what you catch.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 02 Jul 2018, 1:18 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:In case anyone else but me is even remotely interested in shrapnel, terminal ballistics etc.

I think you'll struggle to get all of the fragments ricocheting into the ground, there will always be some spatter in all directions.
Before I built my rubber bullet stop I dug many, many thousands of bullets out of the dam wall using metal detectors. I think the deepest I've had any bullets travel into the clay was about 150mm with machined brass 7mm 150gn bullets. .22LR only go in an inch or two at most. Big heavy bullets at low velocity stay together, but have limited penetration. Raising the velocity tends to blow them up, again limiting penetration. Lighter, very-high-velocity bullets virtually disintegrate completely. When I shoot groups the bullets tend to go deeper as the ground is broken up, even with .22LR.

I'm fairly sure the penetrators are hardened, when I first got the pills I didn't know they were steel core and I blunted 2 HSS bits trying to hollow point them.

I imagine some of the larger holes in the card were penetrator fragments.

My next 2 will be Hornady 68gn match and Nosler 70gn RDF.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 09 Jul 2018, 11:37 am

bladeracer wrote:

Something about what you said, above, and something about the look of the impact craters from the 50gn have been circling round the void in my head for a few days and bugging me.
Finally worked it out at 3am this morning.

The reason the craters were twitching me was because they resemble some CGI craters on a docco I saw a while ago concerning the Mars meteorites and how they got here.

For those unfamiliar, an asteroid or asteroids hit Mars sometime earlier, hard enough that some of the ejecta was accelerated above Mars escape velocity and eventually crossed Earth orbit as we were rolling past.

The problem that's pushing fragments through the target is not the angle but the "soft" track plates.

I need to get something that won't crater under the .223, like a big Bisalloy gong, bolt it to the track plates and start again.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 09 Jul 2018, 4:53 pm

Talking about craters made me want to make more.
I like the really clean and symmetrical paint spalling.
Attachments
SS109,10mm Plate@100 (back).jpg
From the previous SS109 test
SS109,10mm Plate@100 (back).jpg (647.95 KiB) Viewed 3967 times
NoslerRDF70, 18mm Plate@100 (back).jpg
NoslerRDF70, 18mm Plate@100 (back).jpg (678.18 KiB) Viewed 3967 times
Nosler RDF70, 18mm@100.jpg
Nosler RDF70, 18mm@100.jpg (478.1 KiB) Viewed 3967 times
Berger VLD70, 18mm@100.jpg
Berger VLD70, 18mm@100.jpg (471.31 KiB) Viewed 3967 times
Shrapnel field.jpg
Where the bits hit with the stopper at 60deg
Shrapnel field.jpg (762.54 KiB) Viewed 3967 times
Remains.jpg
All I could find from 8 70gn pills.
Remains.jpg (484.71 KiB) Viewed 3967 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jul 2018, 5:09 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Talking about craters made me want to make more.
I like the really clean and symmetrical paint spalling.

When I was a kid I loved finding an old washing machine and bringing it home. The way the air rifle pellets spalled the paint off was beautiful :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 09 Jul 2018, 6:58 pm

I also wonder how much energy would be transferred if you were leaning against that plate when those nice domes formed.
You'd probably have a weird tattoo from the spalled paint.
I remember reading at school about submariners being seriously injured by shock transmitted through the frame of the boat from depth charges if they were in contact with the wrong part of the boat when it went off.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics