.17 Remington Project Rifle

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: .17 Remington Project Rifle

Post by GQshayne » 07 Jul 2019, 6:54 pm

marksman wrote:I get the wipe out patch out sent over from family in the US, its very good stuff, I think brownells au would most likely get it in

IMHO it would be good to soak your barrel 24hrs a day giving it a scratch up with a bronze brush once a day and only taking out the gunk after that
you will find that the barrel being chromoly you will think you have it clean but the pores will have carbon in them
that's why I recommend to polish the bore after you have got it clean to close the pores to stop it fouling
I only ever put solvent in a bore from a brush, nylon or bronze, to give it a scratch and wet it down good, I only use patches to push the crud out

your stock is worth putting in the attention, your doing a good job :drinks:

What would be your suggestion to soak it in?? I have thought about it, with turps or kero etc.
GQshayne
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 07 Jul 2019, 9:02 pm

I should have put down bore not barrel :lol:

just a really good wetting down with solvent and left should do the trick, then a wet brush before you patch the crud out :drinks:

this may be worth a thought
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISB3o2qLvd4
but research it first :drinks:
marksman
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 08 Jul 2019, 7:30 pm

marksman wrote:I should have put down bore not barrel :lol:

just a really good wetting down with solvent and left should do the trick, then a wet brush before you patch the crud out :drinks:

this may be worth a thought
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISB3o2qLvd4
but research it first :drinks:

Interesting. I note that his concoction contained ammonia though.

I knew what you meant - can just imagine someone soaking the barrel while it is still in the stock. :unknown:

I read a cleaning article that suggested that if you leave it long enough, muzzle down, and trickle cleaner down it, eventually it will remove all fouling. Not practical, but suggests that the solvent will do the work. Given that modern copper solvents can be left in the bore, soaking is a good option. I am putting wet patches through before putting it away. I did consider sacrificing a container of solvent, by plugging the barrel and filling it up.

A few articles such as the one above, advise alternating between bore paste and copper solvent, and just keep going!
GQshayne
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Previous

Return to Gunsmithing